Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

leonmaxx
Adept II

Ryzen 5 3550H overheat and throttling on Linux

Good time of a day.

I and many other owners of Asus FX705DY / FX505DY (with latest BIOS 313) have problems with Ryzen 5 3550H CPU overheat on Linux. When CPU is under load and it reaches temperature over 80° C - CPU will throttle to 399MHz and will stay at this frequency until reboot.

cpu_overheat.png

I tested multiple Linux distributions: CentOS, Fedora, Manjaro  - CPU throttles on all of them. To exclude HW problem I also tried Windows 10 - no CPU throttling, so it's not hardware problem, but I can't use Windows for my Job.

Thread on Manjaro Community forum: Perfomance throttle on Ryzen 5-3550H+AMD RX560X laptop after some use - Hardware - Manjaro Linux For... 

Linux kernel bugzilla: 203733 – CPU freq stuck at 400Mhz when CPU is fully loaded and video card is used - AMD Ryzen 3550h 

Another bug report maybe related: 204579 – min cpu clocks incorrect in amd ryzen 5 3550H 

If You may need any other info, please ask.

Best regards,

Leon

1 Solution
leonmaxx
Adept II

My patches to resolve CPU throttling finally accepted to kernel source tree and will be available in Linux version 5.6 and later.

For those who want to apply them to earlier kernel versions:

[v6,1/2] platform/x86: asus_wmi: Support throttle thermal policy - Patchwork 

[v6,2/2] platform/x86: asus_wmi: Set throttle thermal policy to default - Patchwork 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If it's only a problem with a specific motherboard, then you should post this in the ASUS forums.

0 Likes
leonmaxx
Adept II

Thanks, but ASUS always says that they do not support Linux.

Anyway, I already solved this issue by modifying kernel platform driver for asus_wmi: Perfomance throttle on Ryzen 5-3550H+AMD RX560X laptop after some use - Hardware - Manjaro Linux For...

Days ago I thought that this is unsolvable without AMD assistance, I was wrong.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

leonmaxx, here are your processor specifications:

pastedImage_1.jpg

Your maximum CPU temperature is 105C, so that is not the problem.  I suspect your BIOS/MB.  I understand you cannot use W10 in your work but have you tried it to test?  Please install a copy of W10 and Ryzen Master (RM, for measurements).  Let us know what you learn and post a screenshot of RM.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
leonmaxx
Adept II

My patches to resolve CPU throttling finally accepted to kernel source tree and will be available in Linux version 5.6 and later.

For those who want to apply them to earlier kernel versions:

[v6,1/2] platform/x86: asus_wmi: Support throttle thermal policy - Patchwork 

[v6,2/2] platform/x86: asus_wmi: Set throttle thermal policy to default - Patchwork 

THX for your work.

But I noticed still this throttling on HP Pavilion with Ryzen 4600H running Kernel 5.10 - maybe Debian removes your patches ?.  

The temperature is about 50-60C.

But ! If I disconnect power supply & connect again the CPU frequency go up to normal work even all cores up to 3,5-3,9GHz even at 60C.

0 Likes

> maybe Debian removes your patches?

No, they didn't. My patches is for ASUS platform.

Obviously, HP laptops have another ACPI / PM interface to control CPU temperature, cooling and throttling.

Understand.

0 Likes