cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

P_P_A
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3400G crashes PC on GPU-intensive tasks

A few months ago, my Ryzen 5 3400G started crashing the system when playing Minecraft (both on Ubuntu 20.04 and on Windows 10 LTSC) – rarely when playing the game at default resolution, frequently at higher resolutions, almost immediately when turning on shaders. It didn't do this originally. Skyrim also crashed on Windows 10 after 20 minutes.

There is a “pop” sound, the screen goes black, and the system is completely unresponsive (can't switch to a different tty either), but remains powered on. I need to hold the power button to turn it off completely and then power it back on.
This only occurs during such graphics-intensive tasks. I never encounter these crashes otherwise, even when maxing out the CPU by compiling something on all threads. (The temperature stays at around 77 °C then.)

My setup is:
Processor: Ryzen 5 3400G, bought new last year
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB, DDR4-3200 CL16 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING (BIOS version 2.17.1246 2.20.1271)
PSU: Mini-Box picoPSU-120 with external AC–DC power brick.
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 (system) + Western Digital Blue 1 TB (storage)

OS: Kubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10 LTSC 1904 (both are affected by these crashes)

In the PBO settings I underclocked the 3400G with these settings for better thermals:
PPT Limit: 48W
TDC Limit: 33A
EDC Limit: 50A

The RAM is set to run at 2933MHz and to draw 1.3V.

The RAM is not on my motherboard's QVL list. When I first installed the 3400G I ran into a lot of different problems in Windows 10 (system freezing, blue screen, etc.—different in kind from these crashes I'm encountering now) and increasing the voltage to 1.3V solved that problem. (On the bars it says 1.36V, but matching that does not solve the present crashes.)
Today I tried setting the memory frequency to 2133 MHz, 2400 MHz, and 2666 MHz, but at each of these frequencies the crashes persist. I also used these very same RAM modules for my Athlon 3000G without any problems, so I don't think the problem lies here.

EDIT: I updated the BIOS of my motherboard to the latest version but the crashes still happen.

0 Likes
0 Replies