Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

samsei
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2600X faulty?

Hello all,

I have had this Ryzen 5 2600X for 8 months now, and it just stopped working. I have custom built my PC with a MSI x470 gaming plus motherboard, a GTX 1060 6GB Zotac GPU, a  SeaSonic 650W 80 Plus gold certified PSU, 2x4 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 RAM, a 250GB Crucial MX500 SSD and a 1TB WD Blue HDD.

Everything has been working great for those 8 months, until earlier today.. After I'm done using my PC, I shut it down, as I think any normal person does. Yesterday night was no exeption, I turn my computer off, and go to bed. This morning, I try click the power switch, the motherboard's LEDs turn on, the PSU fan is spinning, but the CPU didn't seem to have started. The CPU's fan wasn't spinning as it normally did, none of the USB ports were working and there was no display either. I decided to turn it off and on again to see if it was a fail start of some sort, but to no avail. I opened up my case, looked inside and saw that everything was connected just fine. I tried turning it off and back on again, same result. On my motherboard, there are some LEDs that indicate if there is a problem with one of the components, and the LED for the CPU was on for about 3 seconds and turned off.

I'd say I've taken proper care of my computer up until now, save from cleaning the fans every month, but there hasn't been any accumulation of dust in either of my fans. All my drivers seemed to be up to date, I had done an update on all drivers two weeks ago.

I've looked at the CPU myself, there wasn't any physical damage done to it, I cleaned the thermal paste to see if there was any indication of overheating, none were apparent, and I put some new paste on with the stock CPU fan that came along with the processor back on it.

I'm wondering, is my CPU really faulty? If so, do you think the waranty covers it?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

0 Likes
6 Replies

It is either your motherboard or some other hardware like RAM Memory failed or the CPU failed.

You mentioned the CPU fan wasn't turning when you applied power. Without the fan turning, your Ryzen CPU will overheat within seconds and shut down the computer before being damaged.

Connect you CPU Fan to a motherboard Case fan port that you know is working or directly (if you have an adapter) to the PSU. If it starts running than that may indicate the Motherboard's CPU Fan port is bad. If CPU Cooler Fan doesn't start it probably means your CPU Cooler is defective, at least the fan.

Once you CPU fan start running when you power up I bet you computer will start up normally.

But if nothing else and you still suspect the CPU is defective, you can open an Online AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and see if they believe it is bad or give you suggestions on how to determine it is bad and or tell you if it is covered still under AMD Warranty. I believe the CPU that comes in a box has a Three year Warranty - AMD Processor in a box (PIB) 3 Year Limited Warranty | AMD

You can open a Warranty Request from here: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD

0 Likes

The problem is the PC won't boot up at all after I turn on the power. The motherboard indicates that it would be a CPU failure, so I'll see with AMD and all.

0 Likes

Also try a bios reset or take out the battery for a few minutes.

I have the MSI x470 gaming pro and 2600x and it also occured that it would not start.

After removing the battery and placing it back it worked again.

It's typical MSI I guess, I have a much older computer where the same happens and it's also MSI MB with AMD chip.

I tried removing the battery and placing it back, but it didn't quite work. I'll try again with the battery, and I'll try the bios reset to see if it helps.

0 Likes
txoats
Journeyman III

I just had a very similar problem yesterday with my ryzen 5 2600x!!

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Pull the RAM out and put one stick in A2 at a time see if it posts. If you don't hit a bad stick, try slot B2. Gskill has a higher than usual failure rate.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes