cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pickmefirst
Journeyman III

ryzen 5 2600 win 7 compability?

The specs for the 5 2600 say OS system support will vary by manufacturer. The MOBO (Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WIFI) has drivers and supports Win 7 64. I am running bios F22. Why will it not work correctly with win 7 64?

0 Likes
6 Replies

Your Ryzen  5 2600 will work on Windows 7, but you won't be able to use Ryzen Master software to configure the CPU. Ryzen Master is compatible only with Windows 10 OS. You don't need Ryzen Master. Your Ryzen CPU will work fine Out of the Box.

The only way to configure the Ryzen is through your Motherboard's BIOS/UEFI settings for CPU and CPU Fan.

So in your case, I would update your MoBo BIOS/UEFI to the latest which is F24c. But you first must update the MoBo's AMD Chip Set BEFORE updating to the latest BIOS/UEFI. GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

F24c:

F24c

8.38 MB

2018/12/06

1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.6
  2. Improve performance on Athlon 200-series APU

Note: Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02 or latest version before update this BIOS.

This is the latest AMD Chip Set for your MoBo's B350 CHIPSET: B350 Drivers & Support | AMD

By the Way, You realize that on January 14, 2020, Windows 7 won't be supported anymore by Microsoft with any Windows Updates. It will basically become obsolete. 

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 10 to have full Microsoft Support plus you will be able to use Ryzen Master Software to configure your Ryzen CPU.

0 Likes

Itried to install the f24c bios but it will not let me.

0 Likes

You need to update the motherboard's AMD CHIPSET to the latest version first. then try to update the BIOS.

But if the computer works fine with the version you have then DONT UPDATE the BIOS/UEFI version and leave it.

black_zion​ linked an article where you have to apply "Zeffy Patch" to be able to get Microsoft Windows Updates for Windows 7 with a Ryen CPU Installed.

I wasn't aware that Microsoft stopped Windows 7 Windows Update Support if you have an Intel Kaby Lake or Bristol Ridge Ryzen APUs or CPUs.

Here is a link to Microsoft WINDOWS PROCESSOR REQUIREMENTS: Windows Processor Requirements | Microsoft Docs

So best advice, Since Windows 7 will be unsupported in one year's time by Microsoft and with your Ryzen CPU installed your Windows 7 is  not supported with Windows Updates, UPGRADE to Windows 10

EDIT: Your Ryzen should work with Windows 7, it just that you won't get any Non-Critical Windows Updates until you apply the Zeffy Patch.

0 Likes

Microsoft blocked all Windows 7 updates for users of AMD Ryzen and Intel Kaby Lake and newer processors, so you will need to use a patch to enable them. This patch has had to be reworked many times to circumvent Microsoft attempts to disable it. Microsoft blocks ALL Windows 7 & 8.1 updates for AMD Ryzen & Intel Kaby Lake Users

The patch you will need is the "Zeffy Patch": https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248069-unofficial-patch-unblocks-windows-7-8-1-updates-kaby-la...

I tried to install the 24c bios and it says that it is not capable in a 64 bit version.

0 Likes

pickmefirst, do you have a really strong reason to run W7?  It looks like you will see many roads roadblocks (this one is new to me).  W7 does not have a task scheduler optimized for Ryzen (among other things), so performance will be poorer that W10.  You really should consider moving to W10.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes