cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

materialwolf
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2600 Throttling to 0.54 GHz on Cold Start

New PC Build a few weeks ago and my Ryzen 5 2600 processor is throttled to 0.54 GHz (0.768 V) when I first boot and it will stay that way until I restart. After I restart it is clocked to the normal 3.4 GHz (1.144 V). As far as I can tell there are no temperature issues because it is idling as it was just booted and it doesn't go above 30C. I've been checking and updating drivers and BIOS without any success fixing this issue. I checked the windows 10 power plan and it is on high performance. I uninstalled some different monitoring/overclocking softwares, thinking some of that may be causing it but still no fixes. Do you have any ideas?

Here are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB DDR4-3200 (A-XMP Profile 2 for 3200 MHz)

Storage1: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Storage2: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5"

GPU: EVGA GTX 170

PSU: Corsair RMx 650W

0 Likes
1 Solution

I found a fix if you have not yet RMA'd however it may still be worth RMA'ing.

Download Ryzen Master.
Open Ryzen Master and go to Profile 1, and put it into Manual Mode.
Open the Settings and disable PROCHOT.
Your CPU will stop throttling, but this also means nothing will throttle it if it gets too hot.
What this suggests to me is that maybe the motherboard is detecting a false reading of being too hot and the CPU throttles.

But this works, while you're in Profile 1 after disabling PROCHOT, click "Copy Current" in the bottom left and save the profile.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
26 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

materialwolf, please do a Clear CMOS (see manual) and install the latest AMD chip set drivers (includes Ryzen Balanced Power plan) from ONLY the AMD Driver Download Site.  Install Ryzen Master (RM) and post a screenshot.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thank you for your response. I recently did this as part of my troubleshooting, updating to chipset version 18.10.1810 from the AMD Driver Download Site. I will post Ryzen Master screenshots as soon as I can. The issue persisted so I'm stumped.

0 Likes

Here are my screenshots of before and after rebooting. The top shows 600 MHz and the voltage of 0. 775V. The bottom shows the normal clock speeds, higher voltage, and similar temperature.

AMD Ryzen Master Before Reboot.jpg

AMD Ryzen Master After Reboot.jpg

0 Likes

materialwolf, this looks like an MB problem and needs to be discussed with your MB vendor.  Are you running the latest BIOS available?  If not please update it and see if that helps.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

misterj, I am running the latest BIOS and had already spoken to MSI, the MB vendor. They had just told me to update my BIOS then said to try a different CPU if I had one (which I don't) or RMA the CPU... I was hoping to get a little further insight here and from the support ticket I put in to AMD, which I haven't heard back from.

0 Likes

materialwolf, I guess I would suggest asking for an RMA from both MSI and AMD.  Good luck, John.

0 Likes

I have this EXACT same issue with a Ryzen 2600 and a ASUS ROG x370-F motherboard, same voltage, same clock speeds, runs extremely slow until I hit it with a restart, I tried nearly everything, I don't understand, it surely can't be a motherboard issue being yours and mine different, unless they're affected in the same way.

It's odd for it to be an CPU issue if it returns back to normal on restart?

I cannot find a single other post on this subject, and it bugs me haha.

0 Likes

I haven't found much on the internet either. I agree, I leaned on it being a Motherboard issue since it fixes on a restart. Both of us have X370s so I wouldn't rule it out.

If I recall correctly, setting an overclock in the BIOS fixes it, I'm just not sure if I want to have to have a permanent overclock. I don't really want to deal with RMA either though. Still up in the air which I will do.

0 Likes

Here's a list of thing's I've tried.

1. Reset CMOS
2. Reseat RAM
3. Update BIOS
4. Force CPU Voltage to 1.3v
5. Force CPU Overclock to 3.4ghz
6. Straight Power To PC
7. Full Default Settings
8. Power Management to High Performance
9. Power Management to Ryzen Balanced
10. Played with various settings that may affect CPU throttling

Probably more things that I've tried but no fix yet.

Starting to thing Motherboard issue more and more, because from what I can gather throttling to 550mhz is a safety feature.

So far restarting everytime I boot up is my only option, PC is basically unusable otherwise.

0 Likes

I have tried the same things, and probably more like you added. I was wrong in my earlier comment, overclocking did not actually fix it.

I found it interesting that when forcing the CPU voltage it held that voltage but the clock was still the 550mhz. I'm RMA-ing my motherboard at least, possibly the CPU also. I'll make sure to post back with what the results of that are.

0 Likes

Thanks, if RMA works for you, it'll be exactly what I'll do as well, seeing as forcing voltage did nothing which was surprising, I am 100% confused on this issue.

0 Likes

I found a fix if you have not yet RMA'd however it may still be worth RMA'ing.

Download Ryzen Master.
Open Ryzen Master and go to Profile 1, and put it into Manual Mode.
Open the Settings and disable PROCHOT.
Your CPU will stop throttling, but this also means nothing will throttle it if it gets too hot.
What this suggests to me is that maybe the motherboard is detecting a false reading of being too hot and the CPU throttles.

But this works, while you're in Profile 1 after disabling PROCHOT, click "Copy Current" in the bottom left and save the profile.

0 Likes

That makes sense, finally. I'm planning to go ahead and RMA my motherboard today since I've already disconnected and packaged the motherboard. I'll definitely make sure to include a printout of your solution though to hopefully expedite the process. Thank you for the update!

0 Likes

I ended up RMA-ing the motherboard and the new one fixed the issue. Must have been something wrong with the CPU temperature sensor or that circuit.

0 Likes

Halelujah, 

god.. i have been havng this problems for a few months now but i could never pinpoint the failure... i tested the gpu, the ram, the harddrives... but never suspected the cpu nor the motherboard...

for me it never happens at boot... but randomly when i game... (eg: fpsdrop - YouTube   20-21 seconds, you can clearly see a temperature spike of 10 degrees and the core clocks throtteling to 550mhz...  )

thanks so much guys... i now have actual hope of fixing this nerve-wrecking problem... 

0 Likes
kbotev
Journeyman III

After whole week digging and getting crazy I found that thread. I have R5 2600X and Asrock B450 Pro4. I actually have two of those MBs but the other is with R5 2600 that works absolutely normal. Only the 2600X is behaving like that, what puzzles me is why that happens with obviously different brand of motherboards.In my case the workaround was with the restart but that works only on Windows 10 1803, on 1809 its not working at all. Right now I don`t really want to deal with RMAs but what I`m gonna do is to put the R5 2600 on that MB and see what will happen. If it throttles down then its most definitely the MB.

0 Likes
youngsmeagol
Adept I

demolitiondemon unleashedtriumph kbotev materialwolf - Were any of you ever able to solve this problem?

0 Likes

Yes.

Download ryzen master,

Apply either profile 1 or two, activate manual control mode, apply again.

Open settings and deactivate PROCHOT.

Precision boost will not work and the cpu will stay at the clockspeed the profile is set to, but at least it doesnt go down to 600mhz

Thanks, I wish there was some way to do this in the motherboard.

0 Likes

It turned out to be the motherboard in my case. After I got a replacement (same model) everything is working properly. I guess the temperature sensor was faulty and reported higher temperatures hence the throttling.

haloharry
Journeyman III

Am in a ryzen 3700x

My motherboard is Asus x570-e

I get this problem, every few reboots.

It goes down to around 544mhz.

0 Likes

Mine did it constantly, I have since upgraded to an x470-f and an x570-f.

The x370-f was faulty and would constantly cause false overheating issues.

If you can RMA your board, but in your case I'm not certain that you have the same issue since it doesn't happen all the time.

0 Likes

All I know it is a hardware problem.

It happend outside of windows 10 ones.

It happend when I used memtest when I was testing out memory.

Idk if it was lucky it happend outside of window 10 or unlucky?

0 Likes

Did you try unloading the XMP profile?

0 Likes
multivalve
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue either way running Ubuntu 20 or Windows 10.  CPU is unable to pass the .51 Ghz.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P Latest BIOS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 CORES
Video Card: MSI GEForce GTX
Memory: Vengeance LPX DDR4 CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 3200Mhz(2133Mhz reported by motherboard) 2*8GB 1.35V

0 Likes

It is a faulty overtemperature switch in the motherboard and kr bad communication between tgose sensors and the cpu. I bought a new motherboard and habe never had this issue again

0 Likes