cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cengreth
Adept I

Ryzen 5 2600 Ram Slot Issues

My previous computer died, so I started a new build in anticipation of Zen 3 using a Ryzen 5 2600 I picked up inexpensively. I currently have the following:

Ryzen 5 2600

Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master

Corsair Vengence RGB Pro (CMW32X4M4C3200C16) 4x8GB

When I boot into windows, it shows that I have 32GB ram installed but only 16GB usable. I played around with the ram and discovered the following:

1. Inserting each ram stick individually into slots A1 or A2 caused no problems and works as expected (single channel but all capacity as expected)

2. If I put a stick solely into slot B1 or B2, the system will not post. The LED cycles through ~4 values infinitely. I don't have them written down.

3. As long as there is a dimm in A1 or A2, the motherboard will post. Any memory placed in B1 or B2 is not used. 

4. I reinstalled everything onto a different motherboard (ASUS TUF x570 plus). The memory slots are ordered opposite the Gigabyte board. The A slots neighbor the CPU on Gigabyte, and the B slots neighbor the CPU on ASUS. Now if any dimm is placed in the B slot of the ASUS board, it will not post.

I believe this indicates that the problem is not with the motherboard or ram, and must be the CPU. Is that a reasonable assumption? Is there anything I might be able to do to rectify the problem, or would it require an RMA with AMD?

1 Solution
cengreth
Adept I

I ended up picking up a replacement CPU, and the problem is resolved. I can now use all of the ram slots. Thanks pokester‌ and mstfbsrn980‌ for your help.

View solution in original post

10 Replies