Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

spontaneousduck
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2600 Overclock crash

Hello all,

So I recently started trying to do some mild overclocking on my 2600. I have an ASUS x470-i motherboard paired with it which has an auto overclocking feature which I have seen burst up to 4.2GHz before with no problem. I tried to do this manualy myself with Ryzen Master. Started with 4.0GHz and 1.25V, everything perfect and stable and under 60C temps. Upped the clock to 4.1GHz and my CPU shut off instantly and will not even reach BIOS or even apply power to USB devices (no keyboard). I have tried CMOS reset, pulling CMOS battery for 3+ hours without any power in the system, and reseating the processor on the board. Fans spin up just fine but no luck. Motherboard is reporting a CPU error. Any more ideas to try or did I just get unlucky silicon and need a new chip? Any ideas what could cause that as well? I didn't think lower clock speeds like that could completely brick a chip without overheating occuring... 

0 Likes
4 Replies
tymmey
Journeyman III

had the same issue like you while trying to OC.

Thing was, cmos battery didn't make a change.

I needet press the resetbutton on my case (should be connected to mainboard) for 10 secs.

That resets your mainboard setting to default.

I have a gigabyte board though, can not speak for everyone

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

spontaneousduck, ASUS has something called Performance Enhancer or something like that and I have seen this before.  The only thing I can suggest is to call ASUS and ask them to RMA your MB and provide a BIOS with no Performance Enhancer.  Please let us know what you learn.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
spontaneousduck
Journeyman III

Hi all,

The issue ended up being the motherboard. I replaced the motherboard and everything works again.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Great, spontaneousduck!  Thanks for tell us.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes