cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ben3322
Journeyman III

ryzen 5 2600 over boosting

Recently put together a PC for photo editing and very basic time killing games. 

In the last 2 weeks I have noticed it begin to stutter and lag in all areas, games, photo editing, general desktop use and web browsing. At first it was so minor that I thought my mouse was dying. But it is getting progressively worse day by day.

I've checked all the vitals through CPUIDHWMonitor and found that the CPU is boosting up to 4.2ghz randomly when playing games.

From what I can understand, the max boost clock on this CPU is 3.7ghz?????

All temperatures are perfect with the CPU not exceeding 45c during my most intensive workloads and only just hitting 50c during Cinebench R20. 

To make it more confusing the clock spikes only happen when playing games and not under full Cinebench R20 load.

I've tried playing around in the BIOS. I've tried everything completely stock, I've locked in core clocks, tried many different fixed voltage and clock combos, tried different XMP profiles, different RAM frequencies, tried "cool n quiet" and "precision boost" in different combos together and separate, checked all drivers, tried old and new GPU drivers, updated BIOS, reset CMOS.

And after all that I am no closer to solving this. Any help would be great as I am at a total loss as to why this is happening.

Worth noting that I am not experiencing any crashing or blue screens. 

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Ryzen 5 2600

Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB 3200mhz (AMD Ryzen optimised)

Asus RX580 4GB OC

Coolermaster 120mm AIO

WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD

Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Thermaltake 700w 80+ PSU

0 Likes
0 Replies