cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

johndervishi
Adept I

Ryzen 5 2600 fan failure

Hi! I'm trying to build my first pc ever. I got all the parts from amazon italy and tried to put them together with my brother today by following product guidelines and some videos. We were overly excited at this point.

Everything seemed to work when turned on. The motherboard orange light turned on and the case fans started spining, except for the stock CPU fan, which spins for a second when I press the power button and then stops. When I checked the stats in the BIOS everything seemed to work just fine, it showed 5 fans (4 in the case and the fifth being the CPU fan I guess) except for the CPU stock fan which was listed as a failure. The LEDs of the case fans also shut down along with the CPU fan, even though they themselves keep spinning.

I was gonna install windows right after that, but I was scared to let the cpu get too hot, as it wasn't being cooled at all, so I turned it off. I've checked every cable mulptile times, the 8pin power supply cable on CPU and 24 pin on MOBO seem solid, so do the screws of the cooler and the cooler cord on the 'CPU FAN' pin. I put everything on its own place, following the MOBO guidelines, so as you can imagine I'm left very confused.

I'm quite new at this guys, I'd appreciate all the help you can think of. Please let me know if there's anything I can do, before I contact AMD support and try to report the fan as faulty. I also wanna add to this that the package of the CPU was sliced in the top side, I even took a photo of it, and the CPU chip had a small mark on top, even though I bought it as a new part.

Parts:

AMD RYZEN 5 2600 

MOBO Gigabyte B450M DS3H

One: GSkill RAM 8GB  3000

GPU RADEON PowerColor AXRX 580 8GB

POWER SUPPLY Corsair 650M, Gold, 650 W

HDD 2 TB + SSD 120GB

0 Likes
8 Replies

Try connecting the CPU fan to one of the chassis fan headers to test the fan.  

Andy

I did that, and it works now. But I wanna know if it is okay to keep it runnig like this, because my MOBO has only two palces for fans, and I've switched the system fan with the CPU. Thank you very much.

0 Likes

As long as they all turn full speed it's fine,... You can also connect fans to your PSU by the way in case you have more than 2 fans in total, they just run full speed than. It's strange that the cpu fan does not work in your cpu fan port,...  

It is strange indeed. Because the CPU fan works in the system fan port but not in its own port.  The CPU port works, because the case fans spin while being on it, just at a slighty lower speed. What I did now was connect the case fans into the power supply as you said, and they now work complety fine, at full speed.

But I inserted the CPU fan in the CPU port back again, and it still spins only for a second, then stops. So the CPU port sends energy, it just doesn't support the CPU fan for some reason. 

If the CPU Cooler Fan works on a case fan port and not on the CPU Fan port, seems to indicate a defective motherboard. I would try and RMA it and see if you get another motherboard that the CPU fan port will power your CPU Cooler fan. Than way the fan will be regulated to run a variable speed depending on the temperature of the CPU.

This is from your motherboard's Manual concerning the CPU Fan port:

You can double check the CPU FAN by connecting another stand alone CPU Fan or Case Fan to that port and see if it runs. If it doesn't and it runs on the other SYS FAN1 port then it a good indication you have a faulty motherboard CPU FAN Port.

Yes, the CPU works on the system fan port at a slow speed, before that I thought the CPU fan port was faulty. But I tested the case fans on the CPU fan port and they worked fine, just at a slow speed. I'm still confused and can't figure out if it is the Motherboard's or CPU's fault.

Do you know if it is possible to keep the CPU fan at the system fan port since it works there and just make it run at full speed, or will it damage the CPU or the Motherboard? 

0 Likes

Since the SYS_FAN port also has four pins it seems to indicate it is speed controlled (PWM) depending on the Computer case temperature. Thus the fan won't speed up unless the Computer Case temperature gets hotter. That is why it is running slower, since the computer temperature is not hot for the Case Fan (CPU FAN in this case) to run faster.  Which means your CPU will overheat and shutdown because the fan is not speeding up if connected to the SYS_FAN port. That is why it is important to connect the CPU Cooler to the CPU_FAN port. That port controls the speed of the fan depending on the Temperature of the CPU and not the computer case.  If the SYS_FAN port only had 3 pins then you can connect the CPU Cooler fan to it which will be the same as connecting it to the PSU directly. 3 Pin connector doesn't have PWM Speed Control.

I would get a PSU cables with a 3 or 4 pin Fan connector on it and connect the CPU Cooler fan as mentioned previously directly from the PSU. Since the PSU has no PWM speed control, the CPU Cooler fan should run 100% all the time, no matter what temperature the CPU is. Only disadvantage is if the CPU Cooler fan is noisy running at 100% RPM. Then you would need to put up with a noisy computer.

But if you connected the CPU Cooler Fan directly to the PSU and it still runs slower than full speed than you have a defective CPU Cooler fan.

If I were you, I would open a Gigabyte Support ticket and see if they believe you need to RMA you motherboard.

At the same time I would open an Online AMD WARRANTY REQUEST ticket and see if AMD believes your CPU Cooler fan is defective by your symptoms. Since the R5 2600 came bundled with a AMD Spire CPU Cooler, It should be under Warranty. 

You can open a Warranty Request from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

0 Likes

johndervishi wrote:

Yes, the CPU works on the system fan port at a slow speed, before that I thought the CPU fan port was faulty. But I tested the case fans on the CPU fan port and they worked fine, just at a slow speed. I'm still confused and can't figure out if it is the Motherboard's or CPU's fault.

Do you know if it is possible to keep the CPU fan at the system fan port since it works there and just make it run at full speed, or will it damage the CPU or the Motherboard? 

This is a very peculiar problem. Check your BIOS monitoring and make sure the fans controls are all enabled.