Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

seiryu
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5 2400G random reboot when idle

Jump to solution

Hi John,

Can you please elaborate "MB problem requiring an RMA", as I am not familiar with those terms?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the advise, I will contact ASRock and ask them that.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Jump to solution

seiryu, MB is Main Board and RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization.  I asked ASRock to give me an RMA for my MB.  They e-mailed me a RMA number and instructions on how to return the bad board.  I got a new one in a week or two, problem solved!  Do you see any files in Minidump folder?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Jump to solution

Okay, so I now know exactly what happens, since it hard hung while I was using it this time.

So after the freeze, it remained unresponsive for 10 mins or so then restarted by itself.

Event log shows only Kernel-Power 41, Security and Maint log: The previous system shutdown at 10:06:12 PM on ‎8/‎11/‎2018 was unexpected.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

googled the event log error and Tom's Hardware seems to indicate possibly a PSU issue.How to fix Windows 10 error Event ID 41 ‘Kernel-Power’ - Windows 10

To rule out a bad PSU, download a free diagnostic program called OCCT. It is about the only diagnostic program that stress tests PSU. It also stress tests CPU and GPU. You can download it from their website here: Home

Note: If your PSU is a cheap or failing PSU, this test may cause it to be damaged. Otherwise it should run without any problems.

Install and run OCCT and start the PSU test. This test is basically running both the CPU and GPU tests of OCCT at the same time putting maximum stress on the PSU.

If you run the PSU test and your computer shuts down almost immediately, it means you have a issue with your PSU under heavy stress.

If it should start and runs, check the PSU Output voltages. The three most important ones are the 12 vdc, 5.0 vdc, and 3.3 vdc. These will be shown constantly while the test is running.

If the PSU test passes, then try running the CPU test and see if that passes.

Note: If you don't have a separate PCIe GPU Card installed and are just using the Ryzen Integrated Graphics, the 400 watts PSU should be sufficient for your computer. But if you have a separate PCIe GPU card installed, 400 watts will be too underpowered for most modern GPU cards.

This is just an example of the PSU needed with a Ryzen 5 2400g APU installed. AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - PSU Calculator - Build y8DZzi

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hello, there's been some new development.

The hard hanging stopped, just as it started - unexpectedly.

So for now I don't get any freezes or restarts, yet when I am using Chrome it flashes black for a split second and then is back to normal, again while the taskbar is visible during the whole ordeal.

I will keep monitoring the progress and let you know if there are any new developments.

Thanks for all the help so far!

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

If this occurs in a browser like Chrome. Go to settings and disable "HARDWARE ACCELERATION". This feature seems to cause many problems with certain users using browsers.

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Jump to solution

Done, will monitor now.

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Jump to solution

Turns out it was a faulty motherboard.

I had it changed and the issues now seem to have been resolved.

I will keep testing for another week or two.

Thank you for all the help!

0 Likes
seiryu
Adept I

Jump to solution

So, I'm writing this after a few months of hardships and testing.

It was indeed an issue with the motherboard.

I got a replacement from the vendor - the exact same model and surprise... a couple of months later the same issues mentioned above sufficed.

How I solved this? Got an ASUS Prime motherboard.

After all that I would NOT recommend ASRock to anyone. I understand a piece of hardware can be faulty and I tried all I could to make it work, but two one after the other showing the exact same faults? It's ridiculous. Still I am glad this has finally been solved - never had a single problem since I switched to ASUS.

Anyhow. Thank you all for the advice and input.

This topic can now be considered solved

View solution in original post