cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

reversexd
Adept I

Ryzen 5 2400g NO POST

Hello, this is my first thread in this forum and also the first time I swap to AMD products.

Recently I finished my own first build: Ryzen 5 2400g, Asrock B450M-HDV rev4.0, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Gb DDR4 3000MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15), EVGA Super Nova 750B; however after finishing installing the components I realized I couldnt get to the POST screen. I wouldnt get any video at all! No display, only just a black screen. However the fans and leds work and I am fairly sure the power supply works too because it supports my old rig without issue.

I did everything i could to get it fixed with no luck (even using VGA, DVI-D, HDMI cables), so after spending all night researching i've read some stuffs that i'd like you to explain to me.

1) From what i've read, Ryzen is very sensible to RAM speed (The more the better), so I bought 16Gb at 3000MHz, however apparently the processor can only support up to 2933Mhz. If my RAM has a higher frequency than what the CPU can support, can it cause the PC to not display video? (i mean, it would be understandable if your cpu can support until 2444MHz for example, and you have a ram stick with 3200MHz, so there's a big gap. But in my case the gap is very low, less than 100MHz)

2) My mobo says it's Ryzen 2nd gen and 3rd gen Ready, so by using the R5 2400g in theory it should boot perfectly without issue, but is it possible that I have to update BIOS anyways?

For last, I would like to ask a few things as well:

a) Underclocking the RAM to meet the 2933MHz that the CPU supports would fix the problem?

b) I've seen some benchmark videos where there are some people using 3200MHz RAM, and if the Ryzen 5 2400G supports up to 2933MHz then how could this be possible?

c) Buying a 3200MHz RAM would be a better choice than underclocking?

It's almost 3am in the morning i have to wake up in 3 hours, so excuse me if my english is weird or some lines dont make sense. And thank you.

0 Likes
10 Replies

Please post all your computer setup including Make & Model of hardware connected to Motherboard plus BIOS and CHIPSET version installed from ASRock Download page.

The CHIPSET includes the APU integrated graphics driver. Before updating your BIOS, if applicable, you FIRST need to update the CHIPSET Drivers. Than you can update the BIOS if necessary.

First your Corsair RAM MEMORY is not listed for Raven Ridge APUs on your Motherboard's QVL List: ASRock > B450M-HDV 

Here are all the BIOS up to the latest for your Motherboard: ASRock > B450M-HDV 

Seems like your Motherboard's original BIOS supports the Ryzen 5 2400g Processors: ASRock > B450M-HDV 

It is possible your Corsair isn't compatible with your Ryzen 2400g. See if you can borrow another compatible RAM listed in the QVL list and see if your Ryzen starts working.

From your Motherboard's Manual:

You don't have a GPU Card installed by any chance do you? if you do, then the GPU card will automatically be your Main Graphics for booting up.

On your Motherboard are there any Trouble LEDs lit up or any Trouble Digital codes or do you hear any abnormal BEEPS?  You should just hear one BEEP for normal operation.

Make sure you have both Motherboard and CPU Power connected, From your Motherboard's Manual:

I would remove one of your RAM Memory modules and just use One RAM to see if the processor boots up.

For your convenience I have attached your motherboard's Manual to this post for you to look at if interested.

I would open a ASRock Support ticket and see if the RAM could be the reason why your Ryzen is not booting up with video.

Also you might want to open a AMD Warranty Request and see what they recommend to get your Ryzen to boot up from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form  .  This you might want to do in case everything else is compatible or not the problem.

Thanks a lot for the reply! My whole setup that i have conected to the Motherboard is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400g

Mobo: Asrock B450M-HDV revision 4.0

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Gb DDR4 3000MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX750B 750w 80+ bronze

GPU: I have one MSI Armor Radeon RX570 (that i think it's broken but i dont know until i test it in another PC) however while i was building this new PC I decided to NOT to install it and just go with the basic while i was setting everything up (though I did use it to check as well if it would give video that way)

Sadly i dont know which BIOS or Chiptset my motherboard have as I cant even properly boot it.

I dont have any LED or beeper or hear any sound that indicate there's a trouble.

But I will try using only one RAM in a single slot and check.

reversexd
Adept I

Reporting back.

I tried swapping RAM from slot and keeping only 1 at a time. I also tried plugging an older monitor with less resolution.

It is still NOT working. I havent tried installing another RAM stick, as I am still looking for someone who can borrow me one. I am also considering swapping my motherboard for one that can support my ram (tbh i dont really like this one, i feel it's too small. I just bought it because it was cheap and my budget was tight.)

Will update whenever i get to test with another ram stick.

0 Likes

You can probably eliminate a defective Processor if you able to install it on another compatible motherboard and see if it boots up. IF it does than it something on your motherboard preventing the processor from working or if it doesn't then it is a good indication it may be defective.

So I would still suggest you open a AMD Warranty request and see what they say plus also open a ASRock Support ticket and see what they recommend.

NOTE: Also physically inspect the Ryzen APU for any physical damage (bent or broken pins) and that the CPU Cooler is correctly installed and running when you power up. Also physically check the Motherboard's socket for damage and the motherboard in general.

vulpine05
Adept II

I think Elstaci is leading you down the right path for troubleshooting.  Have you tried resetting CMOS while troubleshooting?  If you haven't, unplug your computer, use a flathead screwdriver to close the CMOS clear jumper (hold it for a 15 seconds), then remove the screwdriver, plug it back in, and see if it boots.  Being that this is the first time you're booting it up, it may take a little bit of time so be patient.

To answer your first question, you can install memory that is faster than what the CPU can support.  For example, I installed a 2200G into a B450 motherboard with memory rated for 3200, and it initially booted up and ran at a slower speed (I think 2400 MHz, if I recall correctly).  That was the "safe" speed it uses to boot up.  My memory is able to run faster, all I had to do was enable XMP profile and change the speed.  The point I am getting at is that despite the faster memory speed, your computer should boot up at a slower speed.

Also, even though your memory isn't listed on the QVL, it doesn't mean that it isn't compatible.  It is a list of memory that the manufacturer has tested and adjusted timings in the bios.  Although its possible the memory is not compatible with your motherboard, it is also possible it is compatible.

I hope that helps?

reversexd
Adept I

NOTE: Also physically inspect the Ryzen APU for any physical damage (bent or broken pins) and that the CPU Cooler is correctly installed and running when you power up. Also physically check the Motherboard's socket for damage and the motherboard in general.

I dont think this is the case, i am fairly sure the cpu is properly set without broken pins. I will recheck though, just to be sure.

Also, even though your memory isn't listed on the QVL, it doesn't mean that it isn't compatible.

This is also what i've been thinking. If I manage to find a RAM stick that works and my PC boots, if I update BIOS, will the motherboard be able to recognize more RAM memory models? Or does it enterily depends on the motherboard itself?

0 Likes

reversexd wrote:

This is also what i've been thinking. If I manage to find a RAM stick that works and my PC boots, if I update BIOS, will the motherboard be able to recognize more RAM memory models? Or does it enterily depends on the motherboard itself?

I am not sure.  I suspect that once the motherboard manufacturer publishes the QVL, they don't really update it unless there next generation of Ryzen comes out.  An updated bios may help the memory perform better, but I doubt it would change a memory from incompatible to compatible.

I now just looked at the website for your specific memory kit, and I am wondering if it will even work at all with your setup.  It says it is compatible with Intel 100 Series, Intel 200 Series, Intel 300 Series, Intel X299.  That is a lot of Intel, but no AMD listed.  If you haven't yet, try clearing CMOS (only because I suggested it ), and try installing one DIMM in your motherboard as Elstaci mentioned earlier.  If neither of those work, I think the most likely thing to try is a different memory kit.

0 Likes
derek
Journeyman III

As you said, you are not getting to POST, nor getting any indications from motherboard.

To get to this point in startup you need

1st

Power (most MoBo will give some light/problem indication light or beep/fan action if you get past this step.

verify your switch is properly connected and power is available by using the power supply test that bypasses the start button.  If you have a volt meter check the constant power leads for voltage.

0 Likes
MJMJ
Journeyman III

Hi Folks,

Not sure how this works so I will just tell you my issue and hopefully you can direct me to the correct protocol. I am an old tech/engineer but not any kind of expert on this new stuff.

On my wife's computer I have an ASRock b450m pro4 rev1 with a Ryzen 3 2200g that I built 2 years ago and it runs great. So I bought another ASRock b450m pro4 rev1 and put a new Ryzen 5 5600g in it and can't get a post.

I followed all the standard stuff, RAM is Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 8GB x 2 in slots 2 and 4. Reduced it to 1 in slot 2, unplugged all connections except front panel power, main power and CPU power. Fan is in CPU fan connector and runs but I got nothing but bootloop. If I unplug CPU 8-pin it stops but the fan just runs without the boot loop. Already removed battery and drained to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

MJ

0 Likes

@MJMJ 

Check to see if the motherboard that you installed the 5600g has BIOS version P5.00 or newer installed. If it doesn't that is the reason why it won't boot up. The BIOS doesn't recognize your 5600g processor.

The BIOS version is on your ASRock BIOS Chip with a tag or label:

Screenshot 2021-11-09 105732.png

The BIOS version P5.00 came out on 03/18/2021: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

Screenshot 2021-11-09 105732.png

NOTE: For the PC to boot up you must have the 8 pin CPU Power cable connected to the motherboard.

0 Likes