cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 5 1600AF reading as 14nm?

Hi,

I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 with the AMD part number: YD1600BBAFBOX, which AMD quotes on their site as being a 12nm CPU:

" NOTE: The specifications below reflect the Ryzen 5 1600 as originally launched. It has since been refreshed to OPN# YD1600BBAFBOX, which has identical specifications except that it is made on the 12nm manufacturing process, and features the low-profile Wraith Stealth cooler. "

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1600

Yet when I open CPU-Z it is reading as: "Technology: 14nm".

Could CPU-Z be reading wrong? Or were some of the YD1600BBAFBOX CPUs built on the 14nm process? Or could AMD or the supplier have mislabelled the CPU?

Hoping someone out there might have some insight.

Thanks!

7 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

YD1600BBAEBOX was the 14nm version.

YD1600BBAFBOX should be 12nm only.

I would hope it's just CPU-z having the wrong info.

fyrel
Miniboss

Try using HWiNFO64 and see what it shows for your processor.

It should show both the OPN number of the processor and the technology(14 or 12nm)

It looks like this.

pastedImage_1.png

The BOX tag at the end won't be included because that just refers to the supply method.

Hello,

Ah, thanks. In HWInfo64 it does say 12nm, but the OPN ends in AE. Is that expected?

Capture.PNG

Thanks!

0 Likes

YD1600BBM6IAE is the OPN tray number.

Processor manufacturers like AMD and Intel sell the vast majority of CPUs they produce to Original Equipment Manufacturers, or OEMs. OEMs include companies like Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo and others that use the processors in desktop and laptop computers they produce for sale to consumers and businesses. End-user consumers make up only a small segment of the CPU customer base for AMD and Intel. Nevertheless, the companies strive to meet the demands of consumers that build or upgrade their own computers by providing retail-boxed versions of their CPUs. As the name implies, boxed processors ship in attractive retail packaging and contain only one CPU. Tray processors ship in polystyrene trays and usually come in lots of 10. End-users usually buy boxed processors through authorized retailers. Companies that manufacture or repair computers usually purchase trays of processors from distributors or wholesalers.

Same chip different supply route.

Did you buy the CPU as a boxed processor with heatsink or was the chip supplied on it's own?

0 Likes

I bought the CPU boxed with heatsink from mwave.com.au. Any cause for concern here is does it appear to be a valid 1600 AF?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes

Same chip either way so nothing for you to worry about.

0 Likes

I'm sure it has to be either the database in CPU-z is wrong or not up-to-date. Are you using the latest version? 

0 Likes