cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mpw
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5 1600 Microstutter

flayd1‌ K-Boost, as I understand it, will set the maximum values for the clocks, and voltages. It should, theoretically, also prevent the changing of P states for the card. Meaning it wont change the clocks.

If you have sufficient cooling, this should not be a problem. Though, be aware, it may increase temperatures. People tend to find performance improvements where they have stuttering or low frames, as the card may be frequently switching between these performance states.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Update 1

The UPS has generally improved performance. I notice a smoother experience from booting, logging in, loading programs, and so forth.

It is entirely likely that my system was fighting dirty electricity, that I was lead to believe (by electrical engineers, and some manufacturers) that dirty electricity wouldn't have been an issue. It's also entirely possible that voltage fluctuations also was causing an issue. I cannot confirm this, as the UPS hasn't actually been caused to switch to battery, but it does have AVR (auto voltage regulation). I notice that sometimes the UPS software sometimes reads 238V from mains, and as high as 244V. 

Whilst the UPS is yet to switch to 'backup' or 'battery' mode, I have experienced generally smoother performance. CS GO and even the main Windows desktop screen feels more responsive, and smoother. League of Legends has improved a lot.

Whilst the above has been stated, I have encountered stuttering both: whilst trying to monitor the frametimes in EVGA Precision XOC, and MSI Afterburner. No *major* stutters, though, as before, with the exception of last night when monitoring CS GO with MSI Afterburner. I noticed a significant frametime spike of around 32ms, which corresponded with a drop in GPU Power. 

That being said, I do not have the UPS setup in the most optimal way until I can get the correct cabling. It is currently connected to a mains 4-way (4 gang way) which isn't supposed to be the best way. So, I would take my experienced with a pinch of salt. There is a distinct improvement, though.

It's also worth mentioning that I do not have KBoost enabled (which could be a separate issue and allegedly cause stuttering through the cycling of P states), and I do have software installed that allegedly in the past caused stuttering (monitoring software such as MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision XOC). These were supposedly fixed for some systems, but I do not know the reality.

Also worth mentioning is that this is a fresh installation of Windows 1809, and therefore I have not had sufficient time to properly apply Windows 10 optimisations/customisations that may cause Windows 10 to be less-than-optimal for performance. 

I am running stock speeds for the Ryzen 5 2600 (I no longer have the Ryzen 5 2600), and I am now using the MSI B450 Mortar. I am running the 3200 CL14 (14-14-14-34) XMP profile for the G Skill Flare X which may be improved further later on, but I don't want to steer clear away from known-working and tested setups for components until this can be confirmed to be resolved.

I plan to run further tests with HWInfo (as opposed to Afterburner and Precision XOC) and log as many different sensors as possible in order to compare with my previous results when it was stuttering. I will do this in the less-than-optimal setup, and in the optimal setup when the proper cabling arrives.

What I can say, however, is that, gameplay was significantly improved, and smoother. Less stuttering. 

I would like to CC particular people that this would be useful for: mittwaffen‌, amdmatt‌, samulelo‌, misterj‌, overclock98‌ (apologies if I have missed anybody)

If there are any other tests people would like for me to perform for them, please let me know.

I will keep everybody up to date.

0 Likes
overclock98
Adept I

mpw‌ are you able to test the game counter strike global offensive on 1080p settings? I am also using an online UPS with 2kva battery I rarely get any dirty electricity through it

0 Likes
samulelo
Adept I

Hi, i would suggest trying other games as in My case i would notice right away if the stutter Is improved as most of the CPU bound game like cs go, fortnite etc. are unplayable, anyway i will bring my PC to test if Is the electricity before buying a ups.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Overclock, I can do this, but I usually play 1280x1024 on medium to high settings, and it was improved. I don't know if changing resolutions would be very methodical for the testings as it changed from the standard test.

What is the rationale?

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Yes, CS GO was improved. I will try Apex, and Overwatch this evening.

Once again to everyone, I have to reiterate that my UPS is not setup in the most optimal way currently.

0 Likes
overclock98
Adept I

For me CSGO/ and PUBG stutter fortnite/destiny2/overwatch/apex legends on low settings dont lag for me

0 Likes
shenosuke
Journeyman III

mpw can u try Far cry 5 , New Dawn , or Nioh?

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

mpw, if your UPS really corrects the problem, I would suspect that your house power has glitches/noise on it that the UPS is filtering out.  A possibly cheaper solution, if true, would be a good quality line conditioner.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Hi John,

Where would the line conditioner be fitted? Between the PC and wall socket

as I have now? If so, this unit was approximately £130. I don't know if

that's a reasonable price or not due to lack of experience in this area.

I haven't fully tested everything yet, so I wont confirm it is solved just

yet. But I will be performing several tests over 7-10 days to confirm.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Likes