cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mpw
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5 1600 Microstutter

I think the threadripper issue may be independent to this.

That being said, I think it would be naive for AMD to say that this isn't a widespread issue. Statistically, it may be on the margin of what could be considered a major issue for AMD, but for the people that have experienced it, they have searched long and far in order to find a fix. It isn't limited to an operating system, and many of us have tried several pieces of hardware in order to rule out what it may be.

At this point, it's not acceptable from neither AMD, nor the motherboard manufacturers to simply say "try a different motherboard" Whilst I will be doing so (I am currently looking for a solid motherboard that have received minimal complaints), I have already spent ridiculously amounts of time, money and effort in order to try and solve this issue.

I receive conflicting advice from AMD and motherboard manufacturers. AMD say to use stock 1809 Windows 10, no modifications, leave all the standard stuff enabled (Indexing, etc) and just update drivers. Which you would assume would be the correct advice. However, motherboard manufacturers are usually giving the opposite advice. I know that ASRock certainly have.

In situations like this, nobody particularly wants to point the finger, they just want the problem to go away -- but I can assure you that the problem is not going away. It is getting worse.

I have provided logs, charts, videos, etc. Yet, all I get from AMD and ASRock is "we don't recognise this issue", followed by "well, a few people said it, but they solved it." Whenever I look online... nobody have solved it. Not a single case of successful resolution from the situation I am describing here. 

Let's look at the facts:

Multiple GPU's, GPU driver updates (from different manufacturers) over different operating systems haven't solved it.

Multiple monitors, single and dual, on the same and different games, with different BIOS versions across different motherboards (different manufacturers) haven't solved it.

The single consistent entity, in my case, is the Ryzen processor. After 12 months, how can anybody say, when being reasonable, that it is not the processor, even when Nvidia said with certainty, that if I replaced the GPU this would still occur because something on the CPU is taking a long, long time to finish (a thread was eating up a lot of time). Despite their advice, I went ahead about purchased an AMD GPU and it still occurred on a fresh install of Windows 10, and Linux Mint. 

Even following AMD Matt's advice and trying AMD/Nvidia combo on a fresh 1809, it still occurs. Even with the latest AGESA updates available. 

I don't know how much more proof AMD need. If I buy an Intel system, and it stops, then that is clearly proof that there is a defect with the processor series. It always seems the Ryzen 5 x600 variants are affected the worst. With the majority of the 7 series able to resolve it, in large part, with BIOS updates and driver updates.

I am bewildered at how simple we are treated, and with disdain. As if we are simpletons unable to come to conclusions after methodical attempts to discover the root cause. 

If this was the legal system, a judge would clearly identify that the issue here is the processor. It's too consistent not to be. 

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

I have purchased a ASUS PRIME B450M-A that will arrive on Saturday. I will be testing with both the existing Windows 10 installation, and a new install.

I suspect this will not work, and if it does not, I will be then trying a Ryzen 7 2700. If this works, I will be requesting a full refund and compensation from AMD -- paging amdmatt

0 Likes
mittwaffen
Adept III

I solved my issue,

My 2600 was stuttering, so i got rid of my video card, tossed in an rx 580. Solved 95% from what it was doing before; the rest is the windows kernal.
The issue I listed before isnt just thread-ripper, its the huge MS delays between threads even on 6/8 core cpus. I think all of the delays add up and if you 
have enough you get the stutter we see. Who knows, it isnt my job to find the cause only to solve it and never look back. 

I had major issues with asus motherboards audio EMI noise even with a soundcard; MSI X470 solved that. 

Still, something to note on QA issues that likely bleed into other areas of power management. 

Avoid ASUS on AMD, We know Asus is best; but when it comes to AMD im sticking with MSI from now on, better by far overall. 
The video card was stable but i think that the video card itself rx 470 has some issues as it was replaced recently aswell under warranty, so some issues are present there with that series. 

So i think it was my video card being a 400 series cause #1, and my motherboard having clear engineering issues #2 and Ryzen 1600 #3 = fixed solution. 

Combination of issues I think, but yeah stay away from the 400 series cards. 

Basically I'd contact ASUS Corporate and complain reference them to this thread. I have corperate contact for AMD (ECR, Lisa's and some of their Engineers -- PM if needed).
RMA for an equivalent 450 series, I think the 350 may have engineering flaws, or design flaws across more then just Asus; however even some Asus X470 and b450 boards have major EMI audio issues. 

I dont appreciate having to deal with issues like this on AMD, it took hundreds of hours to solve. 
However I gave them a chance again on both fronts including the GPU and im happy again. 

If i run into this again with AMD; I will be going full force to corporate w/ letters, emails, phone calls. 
I almost got to that point this time, almost. 

Please AMD work on QA of your vendors or better yet, hire me to catch all of these issues for you.
This was a ridiculous situation no one should ever have to deal with, but thankfully most people would never find the cause of this, since 100 different things can be blamed before finding it -- which is why AMD isnt aware of it. 

0 Likes
overclock98
Adept I

I am using MSI x470 motherboard but its still quite laggy. In a game like CS GO  that's very old it lags on my 2600x and 2060 card

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

mittwaffen, people seem to be having different mileage with different boards. I've tried a Gigabyte and 4 x ASRock -- no solution. So now I am buying the ASUS. 

I am also going to purchase a 7 series Ryzen.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

I have also just ordered a Ryzen 5 2600. I will order a Ryzen 7 1700 for the weekend, and test them all on each motherboard.

My hypothesis is that both the Ryzen 5 1600, and Ryzen 5 2600 with stutter on both of the motherboard, but I suspect that the Ryzen 7 series will not stutter.

I will find out. 

If they do amdmatt‌ (please respond, this is getting beyond a joke) what will AMD be offering up as an apology? This is disgusting service.

0 Likes
mittwaffen
Adept III

Dont go to Matt, go to corporate for this stuff; Matt doesnt have the power to solve this for you. 

Email Lisa directly and get her ECR team.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Lisa most certainly will not even look at my email. 

0 Likes
shenosuke
Journeyman III

i have R7 1700 with the Same issue... Stutters, Far cry 5, the game that i have more of This stutters.

Things that i already tried /did

CPU: its my second R7 1700 , the first i RMAed because segfault issue , but both showed the stutter issue.

HDD/SSD: i bought 2 New SSDs and 1 HDD, but the issue persisted

MOBO: my first AM4 board (GA AB350 gaming 3) died, so i got refund and buyed a biostar x470gt8 ( that has worst BIOS that i ever seen), the both mobos showed this stutter issue too.

RAM: i have 1 stick g.skill 2800mhz and 1 stick crucial ballistix 2400mhz, i tested both separetly / together, and stutter persisted.

PSU: i tested two Corsair psus(my old cx500 and my New cx650) and unfortunately, the stutters persisted.

GPU: changed my gtx960 2gb to rx580 8gb, both cards showed this stutters.

after ALL of this, i gave up...  Im thinking about send MOBO and CPU for RMA and get the ryzen 3 at launch ( Maybe AMD Solved this issue with this New upcoming generation), or in last case change to Intel, that is too much expensive in my country (Brazil), for u guys have some Idea i5 8400 its like 2x the ryzen 1600 price here.

Sorry for my english

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Hi shenosuke,

I have tried new Ryzen 5 2600, and sadly it persisted.

I event tried using a new PCIe network card, incase Realtek GbE was

interrupting with GPU/CPU and hanging.

This did not fix it.

Michael

0 Likes