cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mpw
Adept II

Ryzen 5 1600 Microstutter

Message was edited by: M W - this answer should not be 'assumed answered' because a solution has not been found.

I'm essentially encountering stuttering in games and some applications, despite my temperatures being fine and low usage of the components. My questions are: is this likely hardware as it is presenting itself on operating systems, over two drives? Also, what other tests can be performed to isolate where the issue may be?

Prior to all of this, I have had difficulties with the system since I purchased the parts, and built it. I have had 3 motherboard replacements due to hard freezing, which appears to have been a PCIe lane problem from PCIe Gen 3 on the board. This is now resolved.

I have also had a problem with my GPU throttling due to heat problems, this was replaced and considered a faulty part.

Description of Problem:

On every setup I have tried, games will encounter some form of short micro stutter. This lasts a short amount of time, and occurs at seemingly unknown* intervals. It can happen in a series of stutters, or not happen for over one hour. Once it begins, it is very noticable and prominent. The stutter will last approximately between 250ms to 1 second. I observe that the frametime will often spike, but not always.

This was tested on both Linux and Windows 10, on separate drives, with fresh installs, over multiple disks. This has been tested under 'diagnostic' conditions, whereby I have installed and updated my drivers, and disabled anything that is not required, nor unrelated to the task at hand.

There are no overclocks, though I have tested with stock speeds at higher voltage. And tested with overclocks. If anything, an overclock will help. Though, I am keeping it removed. This began before any overclocking took place.

I have attempted the following:

* Replaced components

* Reinstalling the OS (and trying Linux, on different HDD's/SSD's, and removing them when other drive is in use)

* Flashing BIOS

* AMD chipset drivers

* Updating Nvidia drivers (and removing old ones with DDU)

* Reseating components

* Removing peripherals and components until the bare essentials

* Resetting CMOS

* Reducing GPU power target

* Checking VRM temps

* Disabling drivers, and keeping the bare esential drivers required to run

* Checking LatencyMon -- sometimes ntoskrnl will spike, sometimes it wont. Sometimes I will have a high ISR latency, sometimes I wont.

* Monitoring voltage

* 3 different monitors, cables and display interfaces (DVI, HDMI and displayport)

* Disabled and uninstalled monitoring software

* Reduced graphics settings in both Nvidia Control Panel and games themselves (remember, it happens in some applications, too) -- VSync off and on

* Using Prime95 for stability at stock settings -- passes all torture tests

* Tried different power plans, with different CPU % settings

* Purchased a PSU tester, and it passes all the tests.

I also disable unnecessary services and processes on both operating systems.

I've replaced the board, the GPU, and almost every other component. I've removed the network card and disabled the wifi and bluetooth drivers. My temperatures are good. To the point where Prime95 will max out around 78C on the test that produces the most heat. The GPU rarely goes above 70C unless in stress testing, and averages at around 61C during load. CPU averages around 58C during load.

There appears to be no throttling, or no obvious sign in monitoring software when this takes place.

The voltages appear to be fine, and hit the target voltages.

I do not know what to monitor anymore. I am kind of at a loss for where to look.

Clearing 'Standby Memory' on Windows appears to help for a short period of time, so I would have assumed disk/ram. Though, yesterday when I 'undervolted' (reduced power target) my GPU, it also helped for a long period of time. This does not always work, though. Sometimes I can remove the stanby memory and it will still happen, just less so. I cannot find the cause.

Component List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  MSI B450M Mortar

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2400 Memory x 2 (16GB total) G Skill Flare X 3200 CL14

Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Crucial MX500 2.5" Solid State Drive (500GB)

Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card

Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  Corsair RMx 650W 80+

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter - Not connected

Monitors: Acer - XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  x 2

Updated component list

0 Likes
247 Replies
szychmistrz
Adept II

Mate try to change psu it was my issue after changin all of my components !!

What! I've changed it two times. What PSU did to change to and from?

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Changed from silentiumpc vero m2 600w to bequiet straight power 11 650w gold plus, do also OCCT power supply test

0 Likes

I feel that AMDMatt marks replies helpful when it suits the narrative. I'm not saying my PSU isn't to blame, but I'd find it hard to believe that after replacing it 3 times (not two as I mentioned previously), that it is.

I recall doing the OCCT test previously and it was fine.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

So the only way is to switch back to the intel but people who have intel got also stuttering problem ... its some hardware problem but what kind of i dont know

0 Likes

You switched back to Intel or still use the 2600 and the new PSU?

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Right now i have sold ryzen and W8 for some better prices of intel cpu

0 Likes

So what are you currently using?

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

None because i dont have cpu

0 Likes

I'm confused.

You said that you changed your PSU and solved your issue.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Personally i didnt changed psu but after all my components was changed behind cpu and psu i googled my psu ,,silentiumpc vero m2 600w stuttering’’ and i was schocked How many threads was with ryzen and intel stuttering problems with my psu , so i have wrote to one Dude who has this problem and i spoke him about my struggling , he ordered new psu gonna come like in 2 days and he gonna write back with the resoults , i think for 95% that Is the psu , sorry for the confuse i just wanted to help without w8ing for this Dude but iam gonna be in touch with you

0 Likes

Thanks,

I have tried 2 x Corsair TX-M 550W.

I have tried 1 x Corsair RMx 550W.

I have a Corsair RMx 650W coming.

There is 0 chance that my PSU isn't providing enough power, because my

system, even adding 10% does not come close to the power ceiling of 550W.

The Ryzen is quite low power, as is my GPU. Even adding the RX580 8GB

(which requires more power), I did not experience any boot loops, shut

downs, or anything of the sort. Just the regular stuttering.

After trying Windows 10 1703, 1709, 1803 and 1809. As well as Linux Mint

17, 18, 19 and changing all the hardware, almost 4 times over now, and

testing the electricity in my home, I can safely say that this must be the

CPU. Unless Corsair are selling crap PSU's (which I very much do not

believe), then this leaves the Ryzen 5 1600 as the only consistent

component in the machine.

I know that correlation does not equal causation, but I cannot see any

other cause.

0 Likes
mittwaffen
Adept III

Seems like an issue with sleep mode, ive been trying to really study this.
System is fine after hard power off, but when it sleeps and comes back its messed up.

So its maybe something we need to setup or do a cmd command to prevent sleep of whatever is causing it, or sleep mode bios disable c6 c5 perhaps.

0 Likes

I have already disabled C states in BIOS.

I also disable sleep in Windows, if we go down that route.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

did you tried diffrent Monitor ?

0 Likes

I have tried EVERYTHING except Intel CPU and motherboard.

0 Likes

Has amd gotten back to you?
Are you using one monitor or two?

This is such a pain in, about to do a windows 7 install from an old build just to see if it fixes it.
Maybe all the spectre cpu bug fixes across all OSs causes it, would be nice to be able to undo those exploits and fix the system entirely.

0 Likes

Not with anything worth mentioning.

I use 2. But I've tried with 1.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

UPDATE.

When I disabled multicore rendering in each game, I was able to stop all stuttering. Hmm. The performance was really not good, though.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

The games was smooth ?

0 Likes

No, there was huge frame drops because the single core performance is weak.

But it didn't stutter.

0 Likes

Seems like the new windows 1809 update fixed it whatever it was, no more studdering in games for me.

Hmmm. Did you do a fresh install or update over the existing install?

You've got me confused, my man. I thought you sold your parts or something?

0 Likes

This does not solve it for me.

0 Likes

In my case is something about the cpu, can be something slow down the cpu (memory,power or so) or the cpu itself? i even run several syntetic benchmark looks normal but in games it stutter , games like fortnite heavy on cpu stutter frequently unless i disable shadow then the game is much smoother,in ac origin the cpu graph is spiking all around causing stutter like the video i posted.

So i changed the motherboard thinking that was faulty then i replaced the cpu and the 8gb 2x4gb memory stick with a 16 gb 2x8gb stick with no difference at all,i even try my cousin working power supply and now i'm stuck with this computer only playing league of legend...

0 Likes

Still rocking everything, i like my 6 core.
So the stuttering is still present just less obvious as before.

Has anyone tried this with a 2600?
Wonder if AMD owes us new cpus.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

I had 2600x with massive stutters, in the end i bought i7 9700k and today i am gonna try it

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Mate i have build my PC today with brand new i7 9700k asus prime z390 and seasonic 650 platinum plus and i still have this stutters i dont know what to do ... only thing that i didnt changed its monitor ...

Sorry to hear that, perhaps it is OS/Software related?

0 Likes

I have pretty much confirmed that this cannot be software related, unless we're talking AGESA firmware, because I have tried multiple boards, multiple HDD's, multiple OS's, multiple GPU's, different drivers, stock installs, multiple PSU's, etc. The only consistent item is the Ryzen CPU, and AGESA code for Ryzen across multiple operating systems.

0 Likes

People have this issue with Intel too,

There is a way to disable microcode patches in the OS actually,

GRC | InSpectre 

Simple app that tells you if its on or off, and disables it for you.

Try it out lmk if it helps anyone, or else we need to address the microcode patches dooked all pc gaming performance. 

I've also noticed if the shuttering is bad doing a restart lessons it to an almost unnoticeable level; it comes back eventually and almost every sleep long term wakeup.
Could also look into disabling sleep and all forms of power saving via bios and OS till something works a bit better?

0 Likes

So strange that you've written that. I've just applied this before the

message and I am going to try it.

I have disabled all forms of sleep. It doesn't matter if I cold restart or

warm restart -- it always stutters. Fresh 1809, upgraded 1809, 1803 and all

previous versions.

I can admit that there is some minor improvements with a fresh 1809 install

but it still happens.

0 Likes

PROGRESS!!!

I think theirs mass data collection going on across all moderns OSes.

I found a major step in fixing the stuttering.

Download Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Windows 10 - MajorGeeks

Then extract > run > go to security / privacy, check all privacy options and restart.
Stutter is basically gone.

Windows 10 is legit spyware.

Also see,
https://redacted.tv/2017/12/20/win10guide/

Ive found a perfect piece of software to do it all in one click,
****USE THIS***Spybot Anti-Beacon 1.5 Download for Windows / FileHorse.com
I've tested, scanned and checked it all -- This software is the best easy option to block all windows telementry.
Just click immunize and reboot, Shutter is completely stopped.

Also did a windows 7 install, and its also additionally not stuttering.

0 Likes

Hi,

I had already prevented telemetry with OOSU10 but I've just installed and applied more immunisation from Spyboy Anti-Beacon. I don't believe it will solve all of my troubles with stutters, because my machine should be more than capable of handling background data gathering and processing during a game.

That being said, this is something I don't approve of anyway - so it's nice to have it removed.

This has 100% solved your issues?

0 Likes

Yeah it has; i used both of the software above and i havent ran into any issues with the stuttering.
I dont think its the pc not being able to handle it, I think its just the collection type of data being pulled while gaming.

Perhaps some security check?

Regardless, first time and ive literally done tons and tons of OS mods, strip downs, and I finally think i found the source for my issues.

I've been playing fpses hardcore as its easily noticed and I havent seen it for almost a whole day, been doing reboots; overclocks, sleeps, got the system to lock up a few times; overclocked to blue screen trying to get it to break again. Its not stuttering anymore.

I'd actually like to know what windows 10 is spying on us and feeding for it to have such a huge performance impact.

Windows 7 installed just to see aswell, and zero issue on that OS; shame we dont have dx12 on there, otherwise id stay on windows 7.

But yes, my computer finally feels like it should now while gaming.

0 Likes

Did you use the same hard drive?

0 Likes

yes same hard drives m2 nvma 256gb (system) plextor ssd 512gb (games) all fresh clean and instaled

0 Likes

i just looking thro.. forums and i found u guys i have the same problem bothering me 3 months figure it out how to fix it so i tryed everything like the first guy every possible way monitors buy extra ram , ssd , cables and soo much tweaking options , but i havent tryed one thing my cpu its AMD ryzen 1300x i know its low-end one but i played games like cs go , dota and other on LOW .. with 1060 3gb nvidia and 16gb 3000mhz ram tryed with stock ( 2400 mhz ) but i think im gonna buy a new motherboard with INTEL and the problem will be solved..

0 Likes

I am right now with intel and stutters presist ....

0 Likes

Did you update the OS?

0 Likes