Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

peterq94
Adept III

Ryzen 5 1600 AF - Windows 11 support

Dear AMD Community,

I would like to buy new Ryzen 5 1600 AF but I want to install Windows 11 when it will be on the market. I can see this list on microsoft website but I can't see Ryzen 5 1600 AF: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-...

If in above website Ryzen 5 1600 AF is not listed this means that is not supported and Windows 11 can be not working properly?

Maybe AMD should make own list with compatible processors on amd.com website?

AMD engineers can answer for my question about compatibility with Windows 11? I asked about this problem in technical support website but AMD didn't answer me so that is why I created this subject on the forum.

Thank you!

8 Replies

The Ryzen 5-1600AF is actually almost identical to the Ryzen 5-2600 processor which is listed in the Windows 11 compatible processor.

The difference is the Ryzen5-1600 is a 14nm processor while the Ryzen5-1600AF is a 12nm processor which is the same as the Ryzen5-2600.

This tech review on the Ryzen5-1600AF will explain the above: https://www.techspot.com/review/1977-amd-ryzen-1600-af/

"But what is this Ryzen 5 1600 AF?

Late last year a mysterious Ryzen 5 1600 refresh made it to market. Bizarrely, AMD released a really cheap version of the Ryzen 5 2600, but just called it the Ryzen 5 1600. Known as the "Ryzen 5 1600 AF" because of the box identification, it’s very different to the original Ryzen 5 1600 AE model.

Forget about the name, this is a 2nd-gen Ryzen part. Essentially it’s an R5 2600 with a slight decrease in clock speed. Apparently AMD didn’t have enough 14nm wafers available to keep producing the R5 1600, so they simply shifted it to the 12nm process and now they’re making a version of the R5 2600 that they call the R5 1600"

So most likely it should be compatible with Windows 11 since the Ryzen5-2600 is listed as being compatible.

But this is just my opinion though.

NOTE: Here is CPU World showing the same specs for both the Ryzen 5-1600AF and Ryzen5-2600:

Ryzen5-2600:

Screenshot 2021-08-18 185427.png

Here is the Ryzen5-1600AF processor:

Screenshot 2021-08-19 104255.png

0 Likes

The Ryzen 5 1600 AF is compatible with Windows 11, I am currently running Windows 11 on my 1600 AF Based machine and it has stated it will continue to receive. The freshly updated PC Health Check app also states my CPU is compatible, people with the normal Ryzen 5 1600 (aka 1600 AE) show the CPU being incompatible with Windows 11. Don't worry about the actual OS not showing that your CPU is either an AE or AF, It knows, and depending on which one it is, it tells you if you are or aren't compatible with Windows 11.

Untitled.pngPCHealthCheck_oViLAxYvWJ.pngPCHealthCheck_jyrXQaIkoQ.png

Thanks for your answer and screenshots. I can see now that Ryzen 5 5600G and Ryzen 7 5700G was added to official Microsoft list but still we don't have Ryzen 5 1600 AF on the list. So I am very worry that this can be incompatible in stable version of Windows 11 in the future. Why people from AMD didn't answer for this question?

0 Likes

Because it isn't AMD decision which processor are compatible with Microsoft Windows 11.

Microsoft is the only one that will determine which processors are or aren't Windows  11 compatible by the current testing of the Preview Windows  11.

That is why Microsoft has removed its own Compatibility Tool until after Windows 11 official release to the public.

0 Likes

I contacted with person from AMD and he told me that all 1000 series Ryzen processors are incompatible with Windows 11. Of course Ryzen 5 1600 AF have TPM 2.0 chip but others security features are not good (my english is not the best so I don't have alternative to "good" word). I don't know why one of the user's machine with Ryzen 5 1600 AF was accepted like compatible with Windows 11 by official Microsoft checker app. This is very strange. I think that this was bug in application but processor are not compatible.

0 Likes

The Ryzen 5 1600 AF is actually a 2nd Generation Ryzen 5 2600 processor.  That is probably why Windows 11 recognizes as being compatible.

You just need to wait until the Official Windows 11 comes out to see if it is in fact compatible or not.

Look at previous comment comparing between the 2600 and 1600AF. You will see that they are almost identical to each other.

0 Likes

AMD did not answer your question, because support for Windows can only come from Microsoft.

Only Microsoft knows where within it's code that problems are happening.

AMD does not have Microsoft code.

It is probably not on the list because that particular processor has yet to be tested, or it is failing somewhere and Microsoft has yet to determine why.

What good would it be for AMD to say "It will run".    AMD is in no position to fix anything in Windows if it doesn't run.

You must bark up the right tree.

What you are proposing is similar to you owning a restaurant, but I keep the guest list.

PS.   I keep getting this verification where it asks me to select all the bridges, but I have yet to see Jeff or Lloyd.

0 Likes
DjSpider242
Journeyman III

Have you downloaded and installed radeon relive if not that would be a start 

0 Likes