Adept I

Ryzen 5 1600 AF Max Temp Shutdown

Hi! I just built a new rig:

Ryzen 5 1600AF
MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max
PowerColor RX 5700XT
G.skill Ripjaw V 2x8GB 3000
Bitfenix Formula Gold 650W

I play on 1080p (Battlefield, COD, Dota). Everything goes fine until the cpu gets exactly 70ºC.
Then it shuts down. No BSOD, no beeps, nothing. Just goes off.

After ruling out the PSU (originally had a no certified one).
Tried every ram stick separately. The problem just appears when it hits 70º.
So I read somewhere that theres an option that turns off the CPU when it gets to certain temperature.

I deactivated core performance boost, and now it never goes after 60º. Im fine with it. But what if i want to turn it on? I cant find the option on the bios to set the max temperature shutdown.
Do you guys know where can i edit the max temp shutdown feature?

0 Likes
13 Replies

The Maximum temperature for both the Ryzen 5 1600/2600 is 95C. So at 70C it shouldn't shut the computer down. In fact that is generally a normal running temperature under load.

The RX 5700 has been having a lot of complaints from Users here are AMD Forums about crashing the computer or restarting it. I would look at that first.

You could also have a defective Motherboard Thermal sensor or Processor thermal sensor.

Generally when a computer shuts down by itself it is mainly due to Overheating hardware (GPU or CPU) or Overclocking or Power issues and possibly incompatible Hardware installed.

Try stress testing your PSU, CPU , & GPU by using OCCT.  Try first the CPU Stress test and see if it crashes. Check the Temps and PSU outputs.

Do the same for the GPU and last for the PSU.

Always check the Temps and PSU outputs each time you are running each Stress tests.

Or you can use some other Stress testing software to check your CPU or GPU. Whichever you feel comfortable using.

Thanks for the reply.

After doing the stress tests separately, the problem remains.

Everything is fine, until i hit the 70° threshold, then it just shuts down.

I managed to keep the temps under 70, opening the case side panel. 

Yeah, i know about the dust, and that the case a poor airflow design.

But the main problem here, has to be some sort of max temp protection, that i cannot find.

0 Likes

Some motherboards have had feature to shutdown system when specified temperature is reached. Take a look at your BIOS settings. Components nowadays do not shut down system, as they begin to throttle in order to decrease temp.

Also you have PSU with weird 4 12v rails, where some have only 20A limit so maybe OCP kicks in. Try to use different cables to gpu if there are any to spread load on different rails, maybe everything is running on one rail.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm trying to find this temperature limit option in BIOS, but i swear i cannot see anything that relates to it.

The thing that looks remotely alike is a feature called cTDP limit control.

Is on "auto".
And it can go from 45 to 65.

About the PSU, the 4 12v rails are 25A MB / 25A CPU / 35A VGA / 35A VGA.

I'm pretty sure the VGA is getting 35A.
And even if it's not, this happened with my previous PSU aswell.. so don't know about that.

0 Likes

Found this tech site that shows where you can adjust the Max temperature in BIOS for the CPU: How to Change Temperature Shutdown in the BIOS on an Asus P6T | It Still Works 

Restart the computer containing the Asus M4A78T-E motherboard.

Press the "Delete" key to enter BIOS when you see the message "Press DEL to enter Setup."

Use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard to select the menu "Power" in the BIOS and then press "Enter."

Use the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard to select the option "Hardware Monitor" and press "Enter."

Select the option "TEMP Overheat Protection" and press "Enter."

Select the desired temperature value from the list and press "Enter." Note that the available temperatures are in the range from 50 to 90 degree Celsius.

Press "F10" on the keyboard to save changes in BIOS.

This may apply to other motherboards BIOS besides this one specific one in this article.

0 Likes

Yes, I've seen that several manufacturers include this option on their BIOS.

But, this MSI Bios (Click 6) doesn't have this option

0 Likes

Then also take a look at windows utilities, such as MSI Dragon Center, Afterburner and similar that are capable of making severe changes to system.

For that PSU, you have 2 x 30A rails (for graphics cards) which should be plenty, however with increasing temperature power consumption increases and also OCP might kick in sooner, so try to swap cables, you should have 4 cables, I would personally take one cable from each rail.

0 Likes

I suggest you open a MSI Support ticket (If you haven't done so yet)  and ask them if your Motherboard BIOS has a Temperature Overheat Protection and how it can be disabled or changed in BIOS.

Well.

Did that.

Official response was, in their mobos, "max temperature threshold cannot be changed"...

Meh.

Is the Maximum Temperature Threshold 70C?  Did MSI Support suggest to RMA the motherboard?

That can't be possible because other Users using the same or similar Motherboard with Ryzen processors haven't complained about that.

Do you have the last BIOS version installed on your motherboard: Support For B450M PRO-VDH MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

I highly suggest your open a Online AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and find out if your Processor is defective or needs to be RMAed and checked, from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

It is possible your Processor has a defective Thermal sensor.

0 Likes

I maybe know why they do not allow to change max threshold. Maximum (junction/casing) CPU temperature is not maximum core temperature. AMD does not provide technical sheets for their CPU but Intel does and I know that for intel maximum temp is also around 70C. This is not core temp that can be around 95C, it is temperature in the middle of casing. Above this temperature (i.e. 70C) cpu is beginning to be damaged, so MSI has this value hardcoded in bios.

But this is very consumer unfriendly decision (because mobo shuts down system).

Footnote:

However if you have overall CPU temp 70C, you should decrease this value anyway, because it is really high. Better case airflow, etc.

0meg4
Adept I

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Finally decided to RMA the motherboard, as MSI asked.

Will be purchasing another brand, who doesn't have this limitation.

richard1127
Journeyman III

I have an odd problem with my Ryzen 5 1600. When I check temperatures at idle, I see 70 -80 c. Then when I play a game, temps go down to 60-70c. Does anyone know what the problem might be? It seems backwards to me. Could my fan plug be in the wrong way?

0 Likes