cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lucianr
Adept I

RYZEN 3990X THERMAL PASTE

Hey there - we recently got 2 3990x processors and would like to cool them with the kraken x63. 

There is 2 things we re not super sure about -

What thermal paste is the best in performance ? Is the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut extreme the best ?

Also how much thermal paste one should apply ? 1g per processor ? its kinda hard to find these infos.. We also dont have much experience so any pro expert guidance is much appreciated. 

Thanks so much  ♥ 

0 Likes
7 Replies
Nekela
Adept III

Unless you are doing extreme over clocking most any premium thermal paste will be sufficient as differences can maybe be measured in the fractions of a degree. For application it is a little less straightforward with such a large chip but I typically just make an X over it and then put a dot in each quadrant 

Thanks so much for the answer. 

And would it be the same if we apply  Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut extreme ?

And how much should one apply ? sorry if we sound a little noob ..,

0 Likes

lucianr, please research very carefully using liquid metal paste.  Some processor cases react with and suffer permanent damage - many videos are available.  There are many good high quality TIMs available.  Manufacturers offer video on using their products.  Enjoy, John.

If you are not EXTREMELY familiar with liquid metal application I would recommend not using it at all. That is, unless you are completely fine with destroying thousands of dollars in hardware

PRO TIP.. NEVER use liqued metal cpu paste.

There is a risk the liqued metal will end up other places on your motherboard and kill your hardware.
Personaly i destroyed 3x ram slots on my "old" 570x motherboards becourse of liqued metal.

The problem is not so much when you apply it, but when you remove the cpu again tiny bit of metal might end up funny places.
Also liqued metal can in some cases "eat" the metal of example your cpu cooler.. some metals dont mix that well.

My advice dont use liquet metal cpu paste.
Just get some arctic silver or other paste it is very good, you dont need liqued metal anyway

thanks so much  - 

Basically the main reason for not using it is that its very difficult to apply right ?  

0 Likes

It’s more that there is no earthly good reason to use it outside of chasing benchmarks. Any quality thermal paste will be able to provide sufficient heat transference when paired with a proper cooler. The amount of downsides vastly outweigh any benefits.