Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

icreeplacrepe
Adept II

Ryzen 3950x High Temps

Hello everyone, 
the temps of my 3950x seem too high. Note that this is my first build. All temps are measured by Ryzen Master.

I get +/- 50C in idle.
While playing demanding games (Outer Worlds, PUBG, Rust), I get 60-70C if I lock my fps under 100. If my fps go higher than 100, I get 75C.

While rendering a simple model in Blender, I get 85C and my CPU is under full load.

Config:

ROG STRIX RTX 2080Ti 11G OC

AMD Ryzen 3950x + Noctua NT-H2

Corsair Vengeance Pro 2 x 16 DDR4 3200MHz

NZXT Kraken X72 360mm

Corsair RM1000i

The AIO 3 pins connector is plugged on CPU-Fan

I only use 8 pins connector for CPU-Power

Kraken's fans are at 100%

I'm not at home, I will post a screenshot of Ryzen Master if needed.

0 Likes
1 Solution
icreeplacrepe
Adept II

OKAY ! I fixed it. I get less than 60C at 100% PPT

Solution:

I did reapply my thermal paste. Instead of making a big dot in the middle of my CPU, I made a cross + I connected my pump on AIO header instead of CPU_FAN + I updated the BIOS

Big thanks to the people who helped me on this thread  

View solution in original post

53 Replies
icreeplacrepe
Adept II

I forgot to mension the MB model : ROG STRIX x570-F

0 Likes
ryzen1988
Adept II

How is the boosting behavior of the CPU? Does it run full blast?

Have you checked if the water pump is running? and if so what does the bios says about the RPM of the pump?

The pump needs to be at 100% always.

Maybe you're mobo is pumping unnecessary high voltage in the chip, did you set any overclocking settings in the mobo or is it pretty default and standard?

0 Likes

Hello, I will give more details later by posting a screenshot of Ryzen Master.

The pump seems to be working properly. I set it at 100%.

I didn't try to overclock anything. I did just change the frequency of the DRAM and did some modifications to the fan speed before restoring defaults settings.

0 Likes

I don't have experience with this board or the specific sku but i have noticed that PBO on some boards pushes the cpu always to the max temp with more voltage and frequency.

Probably if you turn down the fans and ease in the cooling the temps would stay the same, just the cpu would boost a little, little bit less than before.

You can also check how you're score in a benchmark like cinebench and compare to others to check if you're performing above standard or below standard.

Also you could try disabling PBO in bios, if temps are low and well under control you know its the PBO algorithm that pushes the cpu as far as it can go under the cooling situation

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

icreeplacrepe, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  What does this mean: "I only use 8 pins connector for CPU-Power"?  Please post your OS version and power supply.

0 Likes

The board has an 8 pin + 4 pin for cpu power.

In theory a 8 pin should be more than enough, as long as the board is not crammed full with immense amount of stuff and overclocking till the max.

0 Likes

Thanks ryzen1988, as you like.  I have always figured that the MB designer did not put them there just to increase the price and I populate all power connections.  Enjoy,

0 Likes

Windows 10 64 bits, Corsair RM1000i 80 PLUS Gold

Ryzen1988 has the correct answer to your question about the 8 pins connector

Today, I don't know how, my CPU fans are at 2700 RPM so temps are not as high as this last week. They normaly are at 2000 RPM. Can someone tell me how to configure RPM?

I checked temps while rendering a basic model on Blender and the max temp was 82C.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

icreeplacrepe, I do not mess with my fan speeds.  How it works is very dependent on the MB BIOS, so I suggest you post on your MB forum.  As for me, I have a big case (Full Tower), run big, slow fans and run all fans and my pump on 12 Volts straight from the power supply (Full Speed).  The system is surprisingly quiet.  Thanks for the RM shot.  The fact that VTT MEM is zero (0) tells me that someone or something is messing around in your BIOS.  I suspect the MB software.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

could you post a picture of the ryzen master overview where you have put it under heavy load?

Like a benchmark or something just to see what it does when stressed.

And as a side note, do you have the latest bios installed?

0 Likes

I don't understand. Now, my Ryzen Master is crashing really often...

0 Likes

If you use corsair Link then set your fans to performance 

I just bought Tuf Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-fi) board & a ryzen 9 3950X. My temps went nuts on idle temps were 75+  to 90C+   

So i re sit the processor re applied MX-4 thermal compound 5 times the heat went nuts. 

So as a last ditch attempt to not hit my PC with a sledgehammer. I went into Corsair Link software and set my temps to performance setting    from Quiet turbo performance. And soon as I did this my temps fell down to 30C idles 56C under load I set my processor to basic defaults 3500 clock it has been ruining stable ever since Crossing fingers LOL.

Using Corsair H110i GTX water cooler 280 Rad.

I hope this helps people cause i was very angry at the temps I could have easily broke a brand new system. 

I also went into BIOS and made my profile as CPU max settings for fan since it was a water cooler and you do hear the fans but I can live with that rather than not having a PC. 

For me it looks like a Programs fault. I don't know what would happen if I uninstalled the Link software and just used BIOS it's ruining the now so not going to take that chance.     

Manual pictorials very small unless you use a magnifying glass  or have 20 20 eyesight you can not read it I wish Asus screw the nut for a change that not every user has perfect eyesight. 

Using Windows 10 64bit version 16gb 3200 mem GSKILL 

0 Likes
icreeplacrepe
Adept II

I updated my BIOS but nothing changed on the CPU temp side.

I still have 50C in Idle and now, RM is crashing quite often...

0 Likes

The fact that RM is crashing quite often seems to indicate something not good in the diver stack.

Do the following, check to see if there is a newer BIOS version and if so update it.

Do the bios update from usb stick and start the process from within the bios. (dont like the windows flash things).

After that download the latest chipset drivers from the amd website and install these.

Try again and see if RM is now stable, and probably the whole problem has gone away

0 Likes

I did all of this and RM crashed again...

Here's a screenshot

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

The memory is a big issue, according to specs its cas 16, and yours runs at 22 for some reason

0 Likes
icreeplacrepe
Adept II

Do you think bad thermal paste apply is the cause of all of that ?

I don't think that I messed up that part of the building process but I really don't know what causes these high temps on a 3 fans radiator...

0 Likes
ryzen1988
Adept II

I dont think you would mess it up, unless you have used very very little, but otherwise that should not be the issue.

Is you're memory stable? have you loaded xmp? because those timings really seem very poor.

0 Likes
icreeplacrepe
Adept II

How do I check if my memory is stable? I don't know what is xmp.

0 Likes

Ah oke, the good thing is that we have found the problem

now i will tell you how to fix it.

Boot in bios, somewhere there are some memory settings, there you can enable an XMP profile. Just activate that and reboot.

i will check how it looks with ur board

Something like that in bios. You need to select xmp, or d.o.o.c.p or something, been a while since i had asus board.

If you have done it correctly you would see somewhere ddr4 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 1.35V

Don't value to much about all the stuff going on in the picture, its just a quick reference i found online just focus on the memory profile.

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes

Ok I did it.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

I didn't see any improvement.

But tthe CAS latency went from 22 to 16.

0 Likes

It should make youre memory faster and more stable, therefore increasing performance and stability.

Did it increase youre stability and performance?

memory settings look a lot better now

0 Likes

yes but I try to get lower temps on my cpu

0 Likes

Oke then go in ryzen master to profile 1 and slash the ppt, tdc and edc untill it runs cool enough.

Like half or a third of whats currently saying.

0 Likes

RM is crashing like hell :/

When I apply profile 1, it crashes

0 Likes

ryzen1988, please tell me what the problem is. 

icreeplacrepe, XMP is eXtreme Memory profile.  It will set your memory to run probably faster.  Please DL Thaiphoon Burner and run it on one of your sticks and post a screenshot here.  Here is mine:

pastedImage_1.jpg

Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Yes but what is the link with my CPU temps ?

0 Likes

faster & more stable memory benefits the whole system.

0 Likes

Sorry, icreeplacrepe, I do not know what you are asking.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

My problem is that my CPU temps are too high for a 3 fans liquid cooler.

So I'm asking if someone knows how to solve this problem

0 Likes

disable pbo in bios, then youre cool

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes

what is pbo ?

0 Likes

precision boost overdrive, this is what pushes the cpu Frequency and voltage as long as it has room. So if you cool hard, it will run even harder, warmer.

If you turn it off it will run on much more behaved, very cool and according to specs

0 Likes

no improvement :/

0 Likes

then there got to be something wrong with the cooler, with pbo turned of it should not run that hot with a big AIO liquid cooler.

It has 1.114v this should be possible to cool with a breeze.

maybe if the is fine than it must be the mounting pressure or paste.

Air pockets in the radiator? did you already have the liquid cooling kit?

0 Likes

Didn't use it before building this pc.

I will check mounting pressur and maybe replace thermal paste.

How can I get rid of air pockets if I have some ?

0 Likes

In the AIO Manuel it often gives some examples, like the radiator cant be mounted lower than the pump, otherwise air will trap in the pump.

Check the Manuel for that.

Thermal paste, better to have a little bit much than to little, make sure its all contacting, ryzen have the chiplets on the outer side and not in the middle, so a standard dot of past is not the best idea.

When mounting the water cooler back on, just do every screw a bit, then the next, and again until al is tight. so you keep the pressure equal when screwing.

0 Likes

So far, icreeplacrepe, I have seen no evidence of high temperatures, but I have not been following this thread.  50C idle is not terrible, but a little high.  My 2990WX is running 39C right now just doing this.  Ambient is about 20C.  What is your ambient?  What does the CPU temperature go to when you run Cinebench R20?  I would like to see an RM screenshot when running CB.  Your maximum is 95C, so 90C would be fine running CB.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes