Did you mean: 

Processors

icreeplacrepe
Adept II
Adept II

Ryzen 3950x High Temps

Jump to solution

Hello everyone, 
the temps of my 3950x seem too high. Note that this is my first build. All temps are measured by Ryzen Master.

I get +/- 50C in idle.
While playing demanding games (Outer Worlds, PUBG, Rust), I get 60-70C if I lock my fps under 100. If my fps go higher than 100, I get 75C.

While rendering a simple model in Blender, I get 85C and my CPU is under full load.

Config:

ROG STRIX RTX 2080Ti 11G OC

AMD Ryzen 3950x + Noctua NT-H2

Corsair Vengeance Pro 2 x 16 DDR4 3200MHz

NZXT Kraken X72 360mm

Corsair RM1000i

The AIO 3 pins connector is plugged on CPU-Fan

I only use 8 pins connector for CPU-Power

Kraken's fans are at 100%

I'm not at home, I will post a screenshot of Ryzen Master if needed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
icreeplacrepe
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 3950x High Temps

Jump to solution

OKAY ! I fixed it. I get less than 60C at 100% PPT

Solution:

I did reapply my thermal paste. Instead of making a big dot in the middle of my CPU, I made a cross + I connected my pump on AIO header instead of CPU_FAN + I updated the BIOS

Big thanks to the people who helped me on this thread  

View solution in original post

53 Replies
icreeplacrepe
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I forgot to mension the MB model : ROG STRIX x570-F

0 Kudos
ryzen1988
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

How is the boosting behavior of the CPU? Does it run full blast?

Have you checked if the water pump is running? and if so what does the bios says about the RPM of the pump?

The pump needs to be at 100% always.

Maybe you're mobo is pumping unnecessary high voltage in the chip, did you set any overclocking settings in the mobo or is it pretty default and standard?

0 Kudos
icreeplacrepe
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Hello, I will give more details later by posting a screenshot of Ryzen Master.

The pump seems to be working properly. I set it at 100%.

I didn't try to overclock anything. I did just change the frequency of the DRAM and did some modifications to the fan speed before restoring defaults settings.

0 Kudos
ryzen1988
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I don't have experience with this board or the specific sku but i have noticed that PBO on some boards pushes the cpu always to the max temp with more voltage and frequency.

Probably if you turn down the fans and ease in the cooling the temps would stay the same, just the cpu would boost a little, little bit less than before.

You can also check how you're score in a benchmark like cinebench and compare to others to check if you're performing above standard or below standard.

Also you could try disabling PBO in bios, if temps are low and well under control you know its the PBO algorithm that pushes the cpu as far as it can go under the cooling situation

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

icreeplacrepe, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  What does this mean: "I only use 8 pins connector for CPU-Power"?  Please post your OS version and power supply.

0 Kudos
ryzen1988
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

The board has an 8 pin + 4 pin for cpu power.

In theory a 8 pin should be more than enough, as long as the board is not crammed full with immense amount of stuff and overclocking till the max.

0 Kudos
icreeplacrepe
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Windows 10 64 bits, Corsair RM1000i 80 PLUS Gold

Ryzen1988 has the correct answer to your question about the 8 pins connector

Today, I don't know how, my CPU fans are at 2700 RPM so temps are not as high as this last week. They normaly are at 2000 RPM. Can someone tell me how to configure RPM?

I checked temps while rendering a basic model on Blender and the max temp was 82C.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

Thanks ryzen1988, as you like.  I have always figured that the MB designer did not put them there just to increase the price and I populate all power connections.  Enjoy,

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

icreeplacrepe, I do not mess with my fan speeds.  How it works is very dependent on the MB BIOS, so I suggest you post on your MB forum.  As for me, I have a big case (Full Tower), run big, slow fans and run all fans and my pump on 12 Volts straight from the power supply (Full Speed).  The system is surprisingly quiet.  Thanks for the RM shot.  The fact that VTT MEM is zero (0) tells me that someone or something is messing around in your BIOS.  I suspect the MB software.  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos