Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

qwertz88
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3900X Temperature and Voltage Problem in idel

Hi guys and girls,

I've already read a lot of forum articles and reddits about the mentioned problems, and also tried some of the workarounds.

I updated the BIOS / UEFI to the current version before installing Windows 1903.

I'm using a MSI X570 motherboard with the Ryzen 3900X with the stock Wraith Prism cooler.

It is connected to the correct CPU Fan 4PIN slot, without the RGB control cables.

In the BIOS hardware monitor (fan control) all values are displayed correctly (CPU temperature 38° - 40°) and the fan behaves normally.
As soon Windows booted up, it seems as if wrong temperature values would be transferred to OS. In idle state the values are jumping between 55° - 65° which causes the CPU fan to turn up and down every second. And Sometimes its stuck at ~80° in idle. And of course it gets very loud.

The CPU also has the known problem that in idle the voltage is much too high.

I don't know if the high voltage values are related to the wrong temperature values, but in my opinion 80° in idle is little high.
In addition there is the strange behavior of the cooler which is very annoying while working.

Unfortunately I am not 100% sure whether the problem is caused by the mainboard / BIOS / UEFI the CPU or Windows.

I hope you can help me. 

52 Replies

thank you

0 Likes
daxxiz
Journeyman III

You should try uninstalling msi dragon center. Even without any modes or anything on, it dictated my CPU in different ways. After uninstalling i get much lower and more stable temps, and better cinebench results also. Now i just need a Way to control the rgb in my pc, can’t Seem to download the newest mystic light without dragon center

0 Likes

Hi,  I have a MSI Meg Ace X570 with a 3900x.  After much debugging, here are my findings.

1. Do not use Dragon Centre to configure anything except your RGB.  If you use this for OC etc, it can/will either lock your cores at 3.8Mhz or otherwise screw up your thermal and CPU performance.  Use the BIOS and/or Ryzen Master instead.

2.  If you do have problems, resetting my config under Ryzen Master or the BIOS did fix it (you may need to clear the BIOS first).

3. There is no way of setting up your RGB lighting without Dragon Master/Mystic Light (can't install Mystic Light on its own).  I got around this by setting up the RGB and then deinstalling Dragon Master (or at least not loading it on startup).  On a restart, the colour setting stayed (mostly). YMMV.

4. I run the AMD Performance Power Profile, XMP and PBO.  I never get over 79C even when benchmarking (but have a Noctua D15S cooler) and get single user boosts to 4550Mhz (very occasionally 4600Mhz) according to HWINFO64. Cinebench R20 benchmarks are on par with other users - good enough for me!

Good luck...

Thanks a lot. I found out like u said that you can actually make your RGB how you want it in the dragon center, then turn off “startup with windows”, shut Down the app, and afterwards you Can go to “uninstall app”, and remove their “cfosspeed” which is eating your power without doing anything good (as far as i know). Only if you open up dragon center to change your RGB, maybe it Will reinstall, so you Will have to remove it again. Uninstalling dragon center didn’t work for me though, made the rgb go back to default

0 Likes

Hi,  Good tip on cfosspeed.  This is actually a 3rd party LAN/WAN manager that is installed as part of Dragon Master. If removed, it seems to be reinstalled as soon as Dragon Master is opened again.  I set it to be disabled on startup as it is not required (bloatware) and in fact may slow down your internet speed in some cases. Googling cfosspeed will give you more info if you need it. Removing services like this will help increase your benchmarking performance - I get 30-50 more in Cinebench R20 when I strip all possible services from my 3900x.

0 Likes
mjs1231
Journeyman III

I think I now have a clue for you all and why we are all seeing these strange high temps.

first is my system overview:

O ll D XL ROG case white

x570 unify with bios Version 7C35vA3 Release Date 2020-01-16

3900x

Corsair H115i Cooler

oloy 2x16 dual rank 32 gig 3600 ram

pny 1080 ti water cooled

power system:

APC br1500ms UPS

Corsiar H1000i psu

I had many issues with the original unify and 3900x

I had to rma both due to overheating in bios, IF not stable over 1600, random reboots when putting a load on cpu. this went on for two weeks. through everything under the sun and the kitchen sink....no effect.

in bios idling I was hitting 115 c and alarms would go off

it degraded so bad after 10 or so days it was unusable.

it melted my aio pump and damaged it perm.

new cooler is h150 pro

When I got the replacements I did the default install and booted to bios set to auto and XMP to 3200 and set timing and voltages. reboot back to bios.

idle 39c max for 3 hours

boot to windows and idle at 42 to 45 c @ 1-3 % cpu usage.

After a few days of over clocking and testing limits I had to do a cmos reset by way of the cmos reset button on the back of the rear io. no rocket science here. SOP as it should be.

booted back to bios and my temps started climbing incredibly fast 40 50 60 70 80 90 +

Boot to windows and I now idle at 75c. with AC on at 68 degrees outside with windows open with good air flow.

OS load:

win 10 pro

newest Chipset drivers

newest video card drivers

Icue software

Nothing special here.

windows updates all completed. again nothing special config wise.

I am going to bet every single person reporting these issues has done at least 1 cmos reset.

What ever it is. It is directly due to resetting the cmos. something is changing and not being reset correctly.

Since I have a vertical mount 1080 TI I have not pulled cpu and cmos battery yet.

I have combed through the bios and there isnt anything out of order or set incorrectly. Not a single setting. every thing is set correctly.

currently per HWinfo64 voltage is 1.47 max clocks are 4.45 ghz max

max temp recorded is 78.8c and I have done nothing but write this post. No apps or games at all.

This is with my ac running and it's 68 degrees outside. CPU idle usage is between 1-3 % max

user windows Balanced Power plan. nothing special here.

Something is causing these cpu's to super heat after a cmos reset.

I would like someone that has a functional 3900x to pull the cpu and pull the cmos battery. reinstall it all and test please.

Thank you for reading

0 Likes
mjs1231
Journeyman III

do a cmos reset, then pull battery, then verify cpu temp in bios before and after. I believe the cmos reset button process is broken.

0 Likes
rocketraccoon
Journeyman III

Hi,

Since yesterday I seem to have the same issue, but my PC suddenly shut down and on reboot it said CPU overheated.. this has now happened several times. 

I have: 

MSI x570 Ace

Ryzen 3900x with stock cooler 

64 gb Corsair memory

EVGA Geforce RTX 2080TI - XC

EVGA PSU 

I've reinstalled windows 10, latest AMD chipset drivers, latest BIOS update from MSI and I just can't get rid of the problem. I also notice that the fan constantly spins up for a couple of seconds and then spins down again.. this is very very veerrryy annoying! 

I don't overclock it and the only program running is Dragon Center from MSI to change the RGB and the user scenario (which I guess is overclocking?). Each time I'm rebooting the PC however it seems to forget it's settings and seems to not stick to the same scenario.. Not sure why this is happening, it's very frustrating.. 

Untitled: Apr 12, 2020 3:44 PM.webm - Google Drive  please see here a video of how the core speed and multiplier change very second (this is idle).. the fan's going nuts which makes me go nuts!  Not using Dragon Center or any other measuring applications in the back ground. Only CPU-Z and Ryzen Master (that's 1 complicated program). 

In summary:

Reinstalled windows 10 

I've done a cmos reset and also took out the battery of the motherboard (this didn't make a difference). 

I'm using the stock fan from AMD (was doing alright so far). 

There's no dust inside either. 

After 1st assembly have not taken stock cooler off so thermal paste should also not be the reason. 

Played CoD warzone and the temp went up to 95 degrees! Never seen this before (it was usually max 85 celcius). 

Please help as this is driving me insane!

0 Likes

From the video other than the high usage on core 1 and 2 (which im not sure whats up with that, could be because your recording at that time maybe?) your idle temps are actually in line whith what your gonna get when using the stock prism cooler that came with the 3900x, also the clock speeds jumping up and down like that every second in cpuz is normal and if you look at RyzenMaster (which show you the avg clocks) it never really stays at a sustained 4ghz+ clocks for very long.

Unfortunately the fans going up and down all the time seems to be a norm now and affects a number of people depending on what board they use, only solution is to use an AIO which i highly recomend you do anyway cause the stock Prism cooler just isn't very good for the 3900x especially if you dont have or use regular AC in the room. I myself also own a 3900x and have tested the stock coolers before and they just arent very good for long term use and is why AMD recomends using an AIO instead for the 3900x and 3950x (3950x and above doesn't even come with a cooler cause it requires you to have an AIO for it), I personally use a cheap idCooling 360 AIO i got last year (was just planning to just test it and replace with a Coolermaster AIO but ended keeping it cause i got too lazy and busy with work to change it lol) and it works way better and more quieter (especially while doing prolonged sustained Cycle render in Blener) than the stock prism cooler, and if a 360mm rad doesnt fit your case you could go with a 240mm AIO with a thick radiator or a 280mm AIO which is cheaper though slightly wider than a 360 AIO.

Would Also recomend you uninstall dragon center, have had issues with it in the past that was causing high cpu usage while idle on my 3900x plus it would install something called cFospeed which is part dragon centers network speed management which you dont really need and people have had connectivity issues with in the past, not to mention it would sometimes remain installed in your system even after uninstalling Dragon center (you can usually find it using windows program uninstall but there have been cases of it not beeing listed there but can still be seen as a process/service running in the background).

If you really have to change the RGB settings just install dragon center again, change to your desired RGB settings then uninstall it afterwards. The RGB options you chose usually are kept even after uninstalling it, atleast thats how it is with my MSI x570 Pro Carbon Wifi and Edge.

0 Likes

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback. 

The CPU is also doing it outside of the recording there was no difference there. The idle temperature was fine indeed around 40 degrees. However sometimes out of nowhere it would go up to 95 degrees and at some point shut the pc down with the message, CPU overheating. What I don't understand is why this is happening now after 4-5 months of using it.. I wonder if there's been an update in drivers or anything from windows that's messed it up. 

I did notice something yesterday that has now stabilized the situation (for now). In Dragon Center (there's a section for drivers) and it was showing the AMD chipset drivers.. I had updated to the last version so still not sure why it was coming up in Dragon Center. Anyway, I installed those as well just to see if it made a difference and after, I wasn't using the PC for a bit and it went into sleep mode (windows balanced energy thing). When I turned it back on, CPU was stable, Voltage was stable, and with that the Fans were stable.. Also now as I'm typing this message, the PC is stable again.. I still don't trust it 100% and have yet to test it with a game to see how it reacts. I'm not sure if this is due to the windows balance energy cycle, or the AMD chipset drivers via Dragon Center.

I have just bought the Kraken X72 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B9HP5H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as it was on offer and I've had my eyes on it for a while now. I just want stability and I hope this will get it. 

Thanks for the heads up with the cFosSpeed program that is indeed running.. it seems that it comes with many motherboards, but may not be necessary to have. 

Many thanks for your quick response.

0 Likes

CPU usage on core 1 & 2 shouldn't be that high at idle, my 3900x doesn't even go that high at idle even when I've got steam and other background processes running.

Might want to check for whatever background activity is causing that and if you can't find any process/service that's causing it then it must be some drivers that are causing it in your system cause I have seen something similar to it happen on another system of mine just this January (high cpu usage at idle but normal cpu usage after waking up from sleep) found out that it was actually caused by a combination of the wireless drivers and the new windows update, uninstalling the wireless drivers solved the problem, and it seems that I'm not the only one that's had that happen to after updating windows, Microsoft seems to be aware of the problem and has since released bug fixes for it but I'm still seeing people reporting about it even now.

Also, don't bother updating chipset drivers using dragon center, its usually out of date and may cause you problems down the line if it starts installing old drivers on top of new ones which I've actually seen happen with an older version of dragon center before.

If at all  possible, download and install your drivers one at a time while constantly monitoring for any strange system behaviour, makes it easier to notice if a driver you just installed is causing you problems.

Try this

Set cpu to 4.0 ghz

Set ram to 3200

I had a problem with a h115i and found rocks in it. Contaminated with lots of sandy stuff.

Reinstalled stock cooler. Idle 39c max temps in cinebench r20 85c.

Tried all auto vs 4.0 g all core. 4 all core gave a higher score. Voltage is like 1.1v

My issue was bios and aio.

Aio contaminated.

Bios needed a battery pull to clear microcode.

My cpu does 4.6 and 1900 fclk.

I run 4 ghz

3600 ram at cl16 20 20 20 38 1t @ 1.4v

Oloy owl 2x16 gig

Runs great.

0 Likes
acecorp
Journeyman III

If you are looking to drop down your cpu temp;

1st turn off XMP profile ;

2nd change CPU core volt to 1.25

this should drop your cpu temp;