cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

resonator79
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 3900X Temperature and Voltage Problem in idel

lucamoser‌ At this point, I think we just have to wait for AMD/MSI to release an update.  The issues we're seeing are widespread and well known.  I had best success with the Windows Balanced Power Plan with Max CPU set at 100 and Min CPU set at 85 per the suggestion in the Reddit post.  That seems to be what has worked best for most people.  Beyond doing that, I think we just have to be patient and wait for microcode/power plan updates from AMD/MSI.

0 Likes
cljk
Journeyman III

Interestingly... I've EXACTLY the same problem with the SAME hardware.

Ryzen 3900X on a MSI x570 Gaming Pro. Just one difference: I never noticed the temperature measures because I'm not using the boxed cooler - but a NIO from NXZT - a Kraken x62.

Story short: the NIO cooler is normally NOT controlled by the MoBo but by a software namend CAM. And CAM always displayed to me 50°.... until I got curious - this could not be true... never 51°, never 49° ... always 50°. Then I learned that CAM has a known Ryzen-bug and can't read temperatures of newer models. So it just didn't care for the temp and the cooler didn't spin up. THAT'S CRAP. But that's the fault von NXZT.

Small Workaround: I can switch to measurement of the liquid temperature - or just disable crappy CAM software. 

BUT: It more or less makes no difference. The liquid is not hot (cant read values - but from comparing speed of fans to the curve it has to stay <<60°) and the fans stay slow.... very slow. I can hear a bit starting gaming... but... not much.

But when I start ANY measurement tool like "core temp" or "Ryzen master" I get shocked. It displays temperatures fluctuating between 65 and 95(!)°C. THIS would be crazy!! And dangerous!.

So I got a bit nervous - updated the MSI-Bios.... no change.

Currently my best guess: the MSI firmware is buggy and does not return correct values.

Because: My system displayed ~90° ... I hard resetted it  - immediatly got into Bios...and this displayed ~45° ... wich is way more reasonable.

Then knowing that the cooling liquid does not get hot ... perhaps just even AMD Ryzen Master shows wrong values on the MSI board?? Perhaps I'm totaly wrong there ... 

Tried this several times. In Bios my system is ~~40-45° ... booting it up never below ~65° .. most times above 70°.

I'll try out the energy saving settings... but hoping for a new MSI firmware.

0 Likes
cljk
Journeyman III

Meanwhile I can confirm:

Switched energy plan from "AMD Ryzen balanced" to "balanced" and voltage is now dropping < 1,0 V ... before always >= 1,2 V.

I think in idle the difference is ~5°. Temps now ~57°-62° in idle.

BUT in CPU burner mode (fur mark) I reach 95°. This is not good. Tomorrow I´ll double check contact of the cooler again.

Another thought (since I´m pretty sure that the cooler sits well): Is it possible that the heatspreader of the Ryzen is a weak point?

0 Likes
live1503
Journeyman III

i just upgraded to 3900x from 2700x on an msi x470 gaming plus and corsair h100 aio.  i'm seeing the same issue as everyone on this post. i did the following and got a good result but i think it's not a permanent fix.

1. changed windows balance plan to what amd_robert suggested in his post (see above)

2. i disabled the following windows processes in task manager startup tab:

a. dropbox

b. corsair link 4

c. icloud drive

d. icloud services

3. restarted computer

4. used cpu-z to monitor voltage

it looks like most if not all cores are being parked around 3.4-3.8ghz and shoots up on activity.

one really strange thing happening that i'm noticing is that when you launch amd's main (landing) page, all cores become active and never rest.

cljk
Journeyman III

Today I removed the cooler of my AIO and saw what might be the reason: it contacted the cpu not in all areas. I can see that because it had preapplied thermal paste and can see where it hit the heat spreader.

I'm pretty convinced that it sits crooked on the CPU.

I removed thermal paste and applied more paste manually and tightened the screw of the bracked really hard.

Started up again and temperatures are much lower... but not low enough. 

Opened the thing up again and cann see: cooler to heatspreader contacted over the whole area BUT on one side the pressure pressed nearly all paste away - on the other side the paste stayed a bit thick. Too thick as it should.

So even after really really tightening the screw of the cooler bracket it doesn't sit good on the cpu - and I think that is the problem in my case.

Possible that the brackets for the cooler on the MSI Mobo are not mounted well??

I'll try the boxed AMD cooler next days.

0 Likes
resonator79
Adept I

cljk‌ definitely sounds like your cooler is having issues.  I'm using a CoolerMaster Hyper 212, and even with the aggressive boosting, I'm not seeing idle temps above 60C.  10 minute Cinebench stress test is not showing sustained temps above 81C.  After switching over to the Windows balanced plan and updating/closing a couple of things I'm not seeing idle temps in the 42-47C range.  That's still very slight warm, but far better than the state it was in before!

Good luck getting yours resolved!

0 Likes
bahaasami
Journeyman III

Best solution is offset voltage from bios with value of -0.0125V and all heat problems will gone but the speed will stay about 3.799GH 

0 Likes
pretenzia
Journeyman III

The exact same problem.

3900X + MSI X570 MEG ACE + MSI 1080Ti

Custom EKWB loop. Voltage at full load 1.3 volts. At a partial load and idle 0.9 - 1.5 volts. The temperature in BIOS is ~ 35 degrees. In system while idle, it jumps like crazy from 45 to 65 degrees. 25 minutes of PUBG - 83 degrees. In this case, the water does not reach 40 degrees. The video card does not heat above 59 degrees. Just in case, I completely rebuilt both the loop and the entire system. Clean OS, the latest BIOS and drivers, the right power plan.

It seems that MSI Mobos is receiving and returning the wrong processor temperature. Although it is strange, in BIOS the temperature readings are correct.Безымянный.jpg

Update: And the funny fact, under full load (Prime95), both software shows correct temperature. o_O

fullload.jpg

0 Likes
cljk
Journeyman III

I would really recommend to double-check that your cooler is fully attached. Since... I *think* that this was the cause in my case. I´m not stupid and assempled >> 10 CPU coolers.... but in case of this MoBo I´m thinking that perhaps the cradles for the cooler are not perfectly adjusted.

I needed to disassemble the cooler at least 4 times until I got it fully attached to the heat spreader.

0 Likes
shabbirh
Adept I

I think as per AMD's last Chipset update (in preparation for the AGESA 1.0.0.3abb update) - they changed the behavior of Ryzen Master.  Previously Ryzen Master would reported the highest temperature, now it reports an average - which is why it is lower in Ryzen Master. 

The nature of the chiplet design and the fact that so much circuitry has been put into what is essentially a very small area - and with the Ryzen 9 3000 series you essentially have two CPUs in a tiny area.  So when a core boosts to complete a workload, the temperature in that small area will ramp up very quickly (because the boost is very quick).

As I understand it - this is perfectly normal behaviour, however, the AGESA 1.0.0.3abb will fix a lot of the problems with regard to how the temperature is reported (maybe adding some new metric points?)

I'm still waiting for the AGESA 1.0.0.3abb update for my MSI MEG X570 ACE motherboard, but in the interim, to keep things a little quiet, I've adapted my Fan Curve to be more gentle (but still cooling correctly), and now I see my average temperatures in Ryzen Master (though I can't use Ryzen Master all the time since I enable SVM for development work, and Ryzen Master will not work with SVM enabled - please @AMD can you fix this!!! I don't want to overclock, don't need to as the CPU is plenty fast, just want to be able to view what is happening).

Using the MSI provided software or HWInfo64 is sort of okay, but as has been mentioned there is a disparity between the temperatures reported by Ryzen Master and any other software at this time.

I'm keeping my fingers cross that this will be remedied in the upcoming AGESA 1.0.0.3abb BIOS - when MSI actually release it for my motherboard.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

0 Likes