cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

_sixpack_
Adept I

Ryzen 3900x System shuts down after powering on

When I start the system everything lights up for a second before the computer shuts down again. Reset of CMOS a few times in a row will make the system start again, but only for a while.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS x570 Gaming E
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x
Memory: 4x16GB DDR4, 3600MHz gSkill
GPU: ASUS Geforce 2080 Super

I built the system in January. The system was fine for a few days. I managed to install a few of my games and play without issues. Then one evening the computer just shuts off. I did not use it at the time so it was just idle. I switched it back on and managed to update the bios to version 1405. Everything was going smootly for a while and then it happened again. Now the computer refuses to post without resetting the CMOS, but most of the time it just stops.

I can't see any patterns in the Q-code on the motherboard. It stops randomly. I've tried to use only one memory stick, switched the graphics card to another slot. reseated the CPU just to see if something was bent and I've gone through all the cables from the PSU to the motherboard. The PSU is a Corsair AX850, so it should cover everything.

If I make it to bios there is no sudden temperature spikes or anything like that. When the system was working I would see idle temperatures of 35-40C.

Is this an issue with the CPU, the motherboard or something else?

0 Likes
1 Solution

All is good now. It was the PSU. Brand new Corsair AX850 Titanium.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

first check for a BIOS update for your particular motherboard

PSU is adequate, I use Corsair too and they are solid for the most part

I  agree that most likely there are BIOS issues which are causing problems, you may need to reset the BIOS occasionally while AMD works on fixing problems 

0 Likes

Hi, 

Thanks for your suggestions. I can't get the system to stay on long enough for an update. Also 1405 is the very latest version at the moment.

0 Likes

try removing and reseating your RAM, could be a loose stick that is causing problems

0 Likes

I tried without any RAM this evening, thinking the motherboard would give me an angry Q code. It shuts down even before that. 

So my focus now should be motherboard, CPU or PSU right? 

0 Likes

More likely the BIOS on the motherboard is the problem

I have several AM4 boards to experiment with

0 Likes

I bought a new CPU now. This evening I will know if that was the problem. Hope it is since that is easier to replace.

0 Likes

I have several sets of RAM and I found sometimes I needed to tweak timings to get a machine stable.

BIOS problems show me that they still cannot setup memory properly.

0 Likes
phroze
Journeyman III

Test RAM via memtest. Check CPU temps. I would pick up a power supply tester. Best investment I have made. PSU issues usually come across intermittent and can show as CPU or RAM issues.

0 Likes

All is good now. It was the PSU. Brand new Corsair AX850 Titanium.

Nice! Did you pick up a tester or just buy on a whim? I have diagnosed at least 10 bad PSUs in the past few years and that little $20 tool has proven its worth. 

0 Likes

phroze wrote:

Nice! Did you pick up a tester or just buy on a whim? I have diagnosed at least 10 bad PSUs in the past few years and that little $20 tool has proven its worth. 

I have a basic voltage checker but I built my own load tester. Load testing is not hard for those who came from a background in radio.

0 Likes

I just bought a new one on a whim. I figured I could easily test and return the new PSU if that didn't solve the issue. 
Now I have a broken one to RMA, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of switching PSUs again.

The broken one was a Corsair AX850 V2 and the one I bought now is a Corsair RM850. 

0 Likes