cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RYZEN 3900X FLUCTUATING TEMPS

i've had my ryzen for about 3 months now. love it. but i dont like the temp fluctuations. also do not want to mess with bios and Voltage. i'm using an Arctic Freezer 34CO with an additional fan. mx4 paste. 6 fans in my Antec 300 II All black edition case.

i get idle around 34c but clock speed will have dropped to 900hz! then as soon i strat surfing it is skipping between 34 and 45 degrees. at times i get like 50degrees watching a YouTube video. should i water cool but i read that others who water cool this cpu have run into same issue! is it a Bios update that is required? i got Asrock x570 Phantom  Gaming 4 board that was updated after installation of cpu. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Your temps are quite normal and maybe very good for a Wraith Prism CPU Cooler.

The Maximum Operating Temperature of your Processor is 95C. So I wouldn't worry about the temperature fluctuations unless temps start going over 85C under any loads.

If the fluctuation temperatures are below 60C while idling or under regular loads then I wouldn't worry about the processor. It is well within the 95C Maximum Operating Temperature for that processor.

The processor shouldn't start to throttle unless it is getting close to or at 95C.

The frequencies of the processor will always be fluctuating since you probably have programs or Apps running in the background besides Windows doing it own thing in the background.

View solution in original post

These are the exact temps of my Ryzen 5 2600X using an old Wraith Max cooler ( similar to Prism) from an FX8350 build. Not bad for you to be as cool as a 12 thread on the same loads. I have found XFR and PBO along with the motherboard overvolting cause much of the temp swings. When I know I will only be surfing or doing non CPU intensive task I use Ryzen Master and set Profile1 at base frequency (3.6GHz in my case) and voltage at 1.5. This maintains temps in the 30C range during these light loads. It only takes a few moments to do.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your temps are quite normal and maybe very good for a Wraith Prism CPU Cooler.

The Maximum Operating Temperature of your Processor is 95C. So I wouldn't worry about the temperature fluctuations unless temps start going over 85C under any loads.

If the fluctuation temperatures are below 60C while idling or under regular loads then I wouldn't worry about the processor. It is well within the 95C Maximum Operating Temperature for that processor.

The processor shouldn't start to throttle unless it is getting close to or at 95C.

The frequencies of the processor will always be fluctuating since you probably have programs or Apps running in the background besides Windows doing it own thing in the background.

These are the exact temps of my Ryzen 5 2600X using an old Wraith Max cooler ( similar to Prism) from an FX8350 build. Not bad for you to be as cool as a 12 thread on the same loads. I have found XFR and PBO along with the motherboard overvolting cause much of the temp swings. When I know I will only be surfing or doing non CPU intensive task I use Ryzen Master and set Profile1 at base frequency (3.6GHz in my case) and voltage at 1.5. This maintains temps in the 30C range during these light loads. It only takes a few moments to do.