Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jezalenko_115
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 3700X Random Reboots, No Event Logs, Replaced Everything Except CPU

Hey guys, I've been experiencing the same thing since I bought my 3700X last month.  I previously had a Ryzen 5 1600.  I only upgraded the CPU and made sure I had the latest bios, chipset and GPU drivers and software.

Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Cooling : Wraith Prism
RAM : Kingston HyperX Fury 4x8GB (32GB) DDR4 2666
PSU : GameDiaz 850W Bronze RGB
GFX : Asus ROG STRIX 580 8gb OC
SSD : Crucial 275G SSD

The system was running perfectly and fast but during gaming it would randomly black screen and reboot.  While it black screened, the audio for the game and netflix would keep running for a few seconds before it rebooted.  Meanwhile I've been studying all day, every day via zoom classes and running 3 or 4 of the Adobe creative suite simultaneously perfectly.

The RAM was running fine at 3000Mhz generally, but I reset everything in bios to stock. Disabled PBO etc.

Been driving me crazy.  Searching forums everywhere and read this page regarding device manager and power management.  I tried these steps but it didn't work for me.

I read this one XFX RX580 intermittent blackscreen in game FIXED  which talked about 

To recap the steps in Wattaman:

pushing the power limit up to +50%, increasing the fan RPMs and Lowering the temp target, as well as Undervolting the VRAM from 950mv to 900mv and lowering the Core voltage to 1137mv instead of 1150mv

I pushed the power limit up and played around with the fan RPM speeds in Wattaman to be more aggressive at lower temps and it worked last night.  Played CIV 6 while watching Netflix on the other screen last night for 4 hours and it didn't crash once.  I have installed Afterburner and Rivatuner and was watching the GPU temp which hovered around 60 - 65c  I'm not sure what it used to run at because I've never had and issue.  I've got a big case with 2 X 200mm and 1 X 140mm fans so cooling should be ok.  I can add some more fans but haven't really needed it.

It's been a pretty annoying problem and I don't understand why the GPU is acting like this when I've been running the same system with an old Ryzen chip for nearly 4 years and had no issue.  Because only the CPU had changed, I've been trouble shooting that option for a while before I looked at the graphics card. 

Hopefully this helps someone else fix their issue.

Thanks reizo and others on this thread.

bblakeney
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I had the same issues replaced every thing while awaiting a factory replacement processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with the same identical symptoms.  I purchased the AMD Ryzen 7 3200 and purchased the following:

I purchased an AMD 7 3rd GEN Processor

1. Three motherboards
    1. ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix B450-F Gaming AM4 ATX
    2. MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD ( Manufacture replaced motherboard
    3. MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD ( recommended by AMD tech support currently in system)
  2. Memory
    1. SKILL Aegis 32GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-32GISB
    2. Crucial Ballistix gaming memory 64GB DDR4-3200 4X 16GB (currently in system)
  3. Video Card
    1. GEFORCE GT710
    2. RADEON RX-580P8D (currently in system)
  4. Power Supply
    1. GameMax Power Supply 850W
    2. Thermaltake - SMART 700W ATX 80 Plus Power Supply (currently in system)

I am now awaiting a factory replacement AMD Ryzen 7 3200.  There seems to be an issue with the 3000 series Processors that AMD has yet to identify with Windows 10 users.

0 Kudos
Neptune3
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same issue; I have a 3950x and everyday when the computer is idle for 2-3hrs it will hard restart. Complete power drop , then delayed start. When I check the windows event viewer I see:

Critical (Event 41) Kernel-Power, followed by;

(Event 55) Kernel-Processor-Power, This is multiplied 32 times for every processor.

I have no idea what is causing these random, idle, restarts. This does not happen at any other time(gaming, routine web browsing, photo/video editing). It also occurs in ubuntu 20.1, and once occurred during startup, and after only 15 minutes idle. The Motherboard has reset it's configuration twice in the past 6-8 months due to these resets.

MB is Gigabyte Aurous Master v1.0 (F30 bios)

Memory is G.SKILL; F4-3600C16-8GVKC

I've reached out to AMD for technical support but have not heard back.

pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

@bblakeney wrote:

I had the same issues replaced every thing while awaiting a factory replacement processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with the same identical symptoms.  I purchased the AMD Ryzen 7 3200 and purchased the following:

I purchased an AMD 7 3rd GEN Processor

1. Three motherboards
    1. ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix B450-F Gaming AM4 ATX
    2. MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD ( Manufacture replaced motherboard
    3. MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD ( recommended by AMD tech support currently in system)
  2. Memory
    1. SKILL Aegis 32GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-32GISB
    2. Crucial Ballistix gaming memory 64GB DDR4-3200 4X 16GB (currently in system)
  3. Video Card
    1. GEFORCE GT710
    2. RADEON RX-580P8D (currently in system)
  4. Power Supply
    1. GameMax Power Supply 850W
    2. Thermaltake - SMART 700W ATX 80 Plus Power Supply (currently in system)

I am now awaiting a factory replacement AMD Ryzen 7 3200.  There seems to be an issue with the 3000 series Processors that AMD has yet to identify with Windows 10 users.

I hope the CPU fixes it for you. I have the same CPU, a b450 tomahawk and the same ram except I run mine at 3200 with no issues. I have had zero stability issues. On that ram and they are the same model number but 2 sticks are samsung and 2 are hynix. Still no issues with it though. I have 2 other b450 tomahawk boards one non max both running 2 sticks of the same aegis hynix ram with no issues. 

I can tell you though that I did have that same ram ram the hynix gskill aegis when I bought my first b450 gigabyte board. I had nothing but trouble with 4 sticks on that board and even 2 sticks I had problems just lesser. For whatever reason I see a lot of complaints in these forums on Gigabyte and Asus when using 4 sticks. 

Make sure to report back if the CPU fixes it. I am very curious to see how it turns out for you. 

elderhobo
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm so exhausted from reading and trying every possible fix. 

I have installed chipset drivers multiple times.

Updated BIOS, multiple versions

Replaced Mobo twice (aorus b550m pro-p, Asus TUf gaming B550m)

2 sets of g.skill 2x8gb

I have a Seasonic Focus+ 850 watt 80+ Gold

It will shutdown at anytime, ANY TIME.

In the bios, while restarting, sitting idle, browsing the web, playing a game. 

This has caused 2 mobos to brick on me.

I just can't nail it. 

Slothbeezy
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Having the same issue.

Ryzen 7 3700x

G.Skill Trident 16gb x 2 (32GB)

5700xt Red Devil 

B550m MSI Mortar (Wifi)

750w Be Quiet! 80+Platnium

m.2 NVME Samsung SSD 500gb

EK AIO

To be honest, I've replaced the motherboard once, the PSU once, ran Prime95, Memtest86, Memory Diagnostic, tried regular factory settings....pretty much anything you can think of except replacing the GPU and CPU. I am going to replace the CPU next, but I have to wait a bit before I can. Really been frustrating since I've built this thing in November. 

One thing I have noticed though, I can cause the random power cut restart after I manually shutdown/restart the PC myself. Be it by button, and or by clicking shutdown/restart in the OS. I'll reset/power off then turn it back on and wait. If it doesn't reboot, within 20 minutes, I'll try again. It's literally the only pattern to the random resets I can find to be able to test parts out successfully. Not sure if it's the smart thing to do, but it's already giving me issues so.  Try to see if you guys can do the same? Curious to see. Literally the only thing I can do that can actually cause the reset to happen quicker than just waiting for it randomly. 

Edit: Also, it will restart randomly on me anytime as well. I've actually rebooted the PC, and during boot it rebooted itself in the middle of the reboot. *face palm.* I am getting worried about damaging other parts.

0 Kudos
Peter3
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

If you are running Linux, booting with amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffbffd solved it for me (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206903#c135)

0 Kudos