Processors

manol
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3700X - Random Freezes + BSODs At Idle

Hi all,

Computer Type: PC, Custom Buield
GPU: eVGA GeForce 1080ti
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (Running latest BIOS)
RAM: 2x Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V – 32GB (2x16GB) – F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (64GB TOTAL)
PSU: Corsair AX1000 PSU
Case: Phanteks P500A
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro (2004)
GPU Drivers: 456.55
Chipset Drivers: 2.10.13.408
Background Applications: Regular Windows applications

Description of Original Problem: This has been occurring since I've put this PC together around 3 weeks ago. When idling or doing non-intensive CPU tasks, Windows will BSOD or just 'freeze'. BSODs range a lot, but the ones I have logged so far are – DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, all referencing ntoskrnl.exe.

When under load, like playing any sort of game, benchmarking etc the system is COMPLETELY stable. Not an issue, performance is great. I can play any game for hours on end and not have a problem.

This problem exists with XMP on or off on the RAM.

Troubleshooting:

1. At first I thought it was a RAM issue, ran MemTest86+ all night, no errors. I also ran the OCCT RAM stress tester for an hour, also absolutely no issues. I also manually increased the voltage on the RAM, did not solve the problem.

2. Reset BIOS back to factory defaults, by pulling the battery. Also didn't work.

3. Set the CPU voltage to 'Override' and manually set it to 1.4375v. BINGO, this solved the problem. Absolutely no crashes, no issues, 100% stable. I stayed like this for a few days to absolutely make sure it was stable. Absolutely 0 BSOD's.

4. After establishing there were no more blue screens, I went back into the BIOS and set the CPU voltage back to AUTO. Freeze and BSOD city again when doing absolutely nothing (just browsing web pages etc).

5. Thought, it may have something to do with the Ryzen power plans, changed from 'Balanced' to 'High Performance'. Still crashes.

6. I have disabled C-States, there are still blue screens.
  7. Disabling 'Core Performance Boost' and running the voltage at 'AUTO' stops the blue screens as well, but I get errors when running OCCT, which I don't get when running increased voltage/Core Performance Boost - ON.

It seems to me, that there could be some issue with the CPU under-volting itself too much while at idle, causing these crashes? Or the motherboard not regulating the CPU voltage properly, seeing as the crashes ONLY happen when idle, never under load. Once again, when you set the voltage to OVERRIDE, and increase the volts manually on the CPU, there are no issues, no crashes. 

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm stuck and not sure what the next steps to take are. Short of RMA'ing the CPU. 

14 Replies