Processors

manol
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3700X - Random Freezes + BSODs At Idle

Hi all,

Computer Type: PC, Custom Buield
GPU: eVGA GeForce 1080ti
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (Running latest BIOS)
RAM: 2x Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V – 32GB (2x16GB) – F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (64GB TOTAL)
PSU: Corsair AX1000 PSU
Case: Phanteks P500A
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro (2004)
GPU Drivers: 456.55
Chipset Drivers: 2.10.13.408
Background Applications: Regular Windows applications

Description of Original Problem: This has been occurring since I've put this PC together around 3 weeks ago. When idling or doing non-intensive CPU tasks, Windows will BSOD or just 'freeze'. BSODs range a lot, but the ones I have logged so far are – DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, all referencing ntoskrnl.exe.

When under load, like playing any sort of game, benchmarking etc the system is COMPLETELY stable. Not an issue, performance is great. I can play any game for hours on end and not have a problem.

This problem exists with XMP on or off on the RAM.

Troubleshooting:

1. At first I thought it was a RAM issue, ran MemTest86+ all night, no errors. I also ran the OCCT RAM stress tester for an hour, also absolutely no issues. I also manually increased the voltage on the RAM, did not solve the problem.

2. Reset BIOS back to factory defaults, by pulling the battery. Also didn't work.

3. Set the CPU voltage to 'Override' and manually set it to 1.4375v. BINGO, this solved the problem. Absolutely no crashes, no issues, 100% stable. I stayed like this for a few days to absolutely make sure it was stable. Absolutely 0 BSOD's.

4. After establishing there were no more blue screens, I went back into the BIOS and set the CPU voltage back to AUTO. Freeze and BSOD city again when doing absolutely nothing (just browsing web pages etc).

5. Thought, it may have something to do with the Ryzen power plans, changed from 'Balanced' to 'High Performance'. Still crashes.

6. I have disabled C-States, there are still blue screens.
  7. Disabling 'Core Performance Boost' and running the voltage at 'AUTO' stops the blue screens as well, but I get errors when running OCCT, which I don't get when running increased voltage/Core Performance Boost - ON.

It seems to me, that there could be some issue with the CPU under-volting itself too much while at idle, causing these crashes? Or the motherboard not regulating the CPU voltage properly, seeing as the crashes ONLY happen when idle, never under load. Once again, when you set the voltage to OVERRIDE, and increase the volts manually on the CPU, there are no issues, no crashes. 

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm stuck and not sure what the next steps to take are. Short of RMA'ing the CPU. 

14 Replies
kevmaster83
Journeyman III

Hi! Fighting exactly the same Problem for 4-6 Week.

RMA the CPU may not help. I'm on a ASUS B550-f, 3700X, and 32GB RAM.

I switched every Part of the PC by a brand new!!! -> New Board, new CPU and even new RAM (first i get G.skill Ram, now i own Corsair Vengeance PRO. Wasting much Money and Time with this Sh**.

PC is and was 100% Prime Stable for 24h in a row.

PC runs for 5 Days for Gaming etc withour any Problem, then freezed again in Night without doing any Task.

Today im triying deactivate the DOCP Profile and use manual timings. For this i used the App DRAM Calculator to get recommened Voltages for SOC and DRAM. In my Case its 1,025 for SOC an 1,35 for DRAM.

additinally i switched the IDLE state in Bios from low idle to typical idle. Your bios surely have this setting to. 

Now i‘ll give it a try.

Please let me now if you find a soultion, i will do so too.

0 Likes

I've seen a 3700x user fix this problem by slowing down the processor a bit.

Go to the BIOS and return to factory settings and then reboot. And then go back to BIOS again and manually set CPU Core Ratio value to 35.

This way maybe solves your problem...

How on earth is 'slowing down a processor' from stock speeds at all an acceptable resolution?

The resolution ended up being a faulty CPU. I purchased a 5600X, put it in, absolutely 0 issues what so ever at stock speeds. RMA'ed the 3700X.

0 Likes

I was having a similar issue with freezing at idle.   No BSODs since I am running Linux, but I was seeing the following errors:

[ 333.351075] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[ 333.351077] [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
[ 333.351081] [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (17:71:0) MC25_STATUS[-|CE|MiscV|-|-|-|-|CECC|-|-|-]: 0x98004000003e0000
[ 333.351086] [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x000100ff03830400
[ 333.351087] [Hardware Error]: Platform Security Processor Ext. Error Code: 62
[ 333.351088] [Hardware Error]: cache level: RESV, tx: INSN

With A-XMP enabled, the system set the RAM speed to 3600.  After I manually set the memory speed to 3200, I am no longer seeing issues.   I tested the RAM and got no errors but maybe 3600 is pushing things even though the RAM is rated for that speed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

MB: MSI MAG Tomahawk B550 (7C91) with BIOS v. 10.4 (04-NOV-2020)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Boot Drive: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video: MSI VCX Radeon RX5500 XT MECH

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 650GA

0 Likes

I was finally able to solve this problem by disabling 'Global C-State Control' in the BIOS. I haven't had a single crash or freeze since.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Changes in the operating system and nVidia display drivers forced the processor to overvoltage for me with the BIOS even though I was using Intel.

Right now I have to use my system with overvoltage like you. The only difference is I am using the 452.06 driver. New drivers are a problem for me. The system is stuttering with the new display drivers on the desktop and I have to delete it.

0 Likes
sarge198
Adept I

I have the same issue, not getting BSODs though, everything freezes up except the mouse. My system works fine under load but freezes while browsing, waking the monitors from sleep, or just sitting idle. I have yet to narrow down the issue beyond CPU, MOBO, RAM, and PSU being the cause. Probably going to start RMAing components and hope for the best.

Several solutions I have found:
* Setting Optimized Defaults in BIOS everything to Auto
* Disabling Core Performance Boost
* Setting RAM speed to 2133MHz with auto timings or 3200MHz with high timings CL22
* Setting CPU voltage manually, 1.25v.

Here are some theories I have:
* Ryzen CPUs seem to be VERY sensitive to voltage, perhaps too high a voltage damaged the cpu?
* Bad stick of RAM? I tested with a pair of GSkill 3200MHz sticks from a friends PC and experienced no issues.
* Faulty CPU or mobo.
* RAM is not on the mobos QVL.

My system:
R7 3700X
ROG Strix X570-I Gaming BIOS ver 3001
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x16GB 3200MHz (16 18 18 36 54)
Corsair SF600
2080ti

Funny thing is I can OC my system to this with NO issues!
CPU 4400MHz @1.25v, FCLK 1800MHz, RAM 3600MHz @1.36v with 16 18 18 36 54 timings.
Which leads me to believe it may not be faulty hardware. Setting a manual overclock yields better performance anyway so I might just live with it or RMA the CPU.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear it.

0 Likes

@sarge198 Sarge - I had the same experience when I was running a 3700x. With freezes where you could still move the mouse. In my case, my ram wasn't the best quality and couldn't run DOCP (Vengence LPX 3200C16 8.31 Nanya Dies) at stock voltages. I manually changed ram voltage to 1.4v and the problems went away (something like 1.37v-1.38v probably would have worked as well, but since 1.4v worked I didn't bother adjusting). Was freeze-free for 6-7 weeks, until I upgraded toa 5900x - which came with it's own slew of problems. 

0 Likes

@ae1I already tried manually setting RAM voltage and unfortunately it did not make any difference. I was able to determine that my RAM uses Samsung B-Die which is ideal for Ryzen CPUs. So I don't think it's a RAM issue for me. Its looking more and more like a bad CPU. What issues did you experience with the 5900x? I was thinking of getting a 5600x if they ever become available.

0 Likes
JavierIsassi
Journeyman III

Thank you for the post.
I have a AsRock B550 Steel Series with a Ryzen 3700x and a GeForce GTX 1080 G-SKILL 2x32 GB 3200 DDR44.
And for 2 months
the PC randomly rebooted or gave assorted bugchecks BSOD in total random fashion.
The PC worked flawless for 3 weeks after assembly and then started failing.
We replace the video card: No Go.
We replace the mother board: No Go.
Memtest86 passed with flying colors.
Then I stumbled on this post yesterday.
I increased the the CPU Voltage from 1.2 to 1.4 and it appears more stable (at least for one day).

0 Likes

Spoke too soon. It crashed again. I am disabling eco-mode and bringing DRAM voltage from 1.2 to
1.35V and cross my fingers. It happened when the PC was idle.

0 Likes

I tried to increase the G-SKILL DDR4 3200 Voltage from 1.2 to 1.35 and crashed right away while running 3DMARK benchmkark.
Why the Asrock B550 BIOS detects my RAM a 2666 instead of 3200 is anyone's guess. XPM makes it worst.

0 Likes

We replaced the 3700x CPU with a brand new one.
We set the Asus B550 BIOS to defaults and fire up the pc.
It froze within 24 hours while idle.

Seriously, what is wrong with this CPU?

0 Likes

I would try resetting everything to defaults and see if it runs stable.   If you can go for a few days with out any freezes then try setting the RAM speed to 3200.   If you start getting freezing, then try backing down the RAM speed to 3000.

I have the 3700x CPU on an MSI B550 board with 3600 speed RAM.   I had to manually drop the RAM speed down to 3200 but once I did that, my errors and freezes went away.   I also had zero errors with MemTest.

0 Likes