Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ajaxsis
Adept I

Ryzen 3700x overheating to 95 on idle

Hi all.

Yesterday and about a year before all was OK but today my PC starts freezing.

I saw that the CPU temperature is about 95 Celsius even on idle without any processes running and even in bios. 
Also, any action, including a sharp movement of the mouse, increases the processor load up to 100%.

What could it be? I already tried to reset bios and updated all what I could and it didn’t help.

CPU: Ryzen 3700x

Motherboard: ASUS B550 Plus

GPU: RX 6900 XT

Memory: 2x16 

Cooling: PCS FrostFlow 240

13 Replies

for my MSI it was keep overclocking my CPU my cpu normal speed is 3.8 but it was keep overclocking it to 4.7.. i went to bios and put is on 3.8 not auto 

0 Likes

It’s not trying to overclock it

0 Likes

if you go to your bios or open the task manager you can see it if it is on 4.7 GHZ that mean it overclocking itself ... 

did you update your bios ?

0 Likes

Base speed is 3.59 in task manager.

Yes

0 Likes

check the temp in bios it is say 60 ? or it is 30 ? 

0 Likes

It says 84 CPU Temperature & 95 CPU Package Temperature

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I sure sounds like your CPU cooling is not working.  That's the first thing I would replace or at least swap out with a known good cooler.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Could be your AIO is not working properly?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

if you look at ppl post most of ppl have this issue someone lost his motherboard and CPU because of this.it is less likely 20 ppl have bad AIO issue at the sometime. 

0 Likes

Thought about it but how can I check is it the problem or not?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Reading what you and others have posted, I would say to check if your AIO pump is working. You should be able to feel it working and feel liquid flowing through your tubing. If your AIO is not working properly you will see high temps like these and since it is not being cooled properly it will affect performance. 

If your AIO is working you should remove it and reseat it replacing the thermal paste. If this doesn't help reset the bios to default and check again.

If reseating the cooler doesn't help, try spending around $40 and get an air cooler or use the stock cooler just to check if your CPU is still idling high. If it is still idling high, you can rule out a cooling issue and start troubleshooting the motherboard and the CPU. 

A new install of Windows may also help as there may be a program hijacking your CPU. 

Troubleshooting the CPU is tricky if you don't have another platform to test it on, same with the motherboard. If you can get your hands on another motherboard test the CPU in that motherboard and look at temps. If they are not high anymore, your motherboard is the issue and has a fault. If the CPU still runs entirely too hot then your CPU may be defective and you would want to replace it. 

I run my Ryzen 7 3700X at stock settings on a MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi with secure boot enabled, and see 35-45c idle being cooled by a Corsair 240mm AIO, depending on what is running in the background.  

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

It’s definitely working but I don’t really know how effective it is 

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

@cpurpe91 

Completely agree, My 3700x with PBO on but no OCing with 240mm AIO 32 - 40c.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes