cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tuyguy98
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3700x is way too hot

Hi all, I recently upgraded my system with a ryzen 3700x.  However upon booting up, the cpu has been idling around 55-65 degrees c which in my opinion is way too hot.  When i stress test it, it goes up into the high 70s and low 80s which is also really hotter than i would like.  As for a cooler, i am using the included wraith prism along with some corsair thermal paste.  anyone experiencing problems like this? or have found a solution to it?

Thanks for your time!!!pastedImage_1.png

89 Replies

Hi,

3700x + x570-f

actually my temps at idle : between 28 and 32

PBO active , I just set vcore offset -0.075 (that's undervolting)... in fact what most people don't seem to understand is that 1.5V at idle in OK and not a problem (without undervolting you should get 35-40° with a middle range aio watercooling) , just check comsuption (less than 5W), voltage goes down on load because it's Vdrop, just inform yourself about overclock before saying things like "it's not normal" , you surely are not ingineers, even not overclockers, and you just refer to what you poorly know about previous gen (that didn't auto overclock), the fact is here you don't have to touch anything to oc it's already done, it is optimized, if you don't want to oc , just deactivad "core boost" (and pbo too)  ... people continuesly post the same thing on this forum as they don't read previous posts

who would think to have a good cooler with a stock fan and an overclocked 8 core (or 6 or 12 etc)... overclocking is getting to the temps limit, that's by definition

0 Likes

but pbo and xfr doesnt work, it does absolutely nothing and this is a known..

0 Likes

like i said in another thread just 5 min ago (....) , i think you have absolutely every problem you can have and more, that's more than suspicious sorry ... some people try to help , you just spend you time telling people you have the same problem as them , lol...

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

2019.08.29-18.50.png

0 Likes
krzy
Adept I

I just set vcore offset -0.075. No change in temps.  In fact, slightly worse. 40-45C at idle. 

0 Likes

if you see no difference you should consider checking your cooling system , maybe upgrading

in fact 40-45° is not problematic , but with a 2 fan aio you should get at least 35-40° (even less, i do 30-35 with -0.075 )

0 Likes

My 3700x runs just as hot. My 3700x can't even handle a -0.075V offset. I tried doing it and Firefox (yes I use firefox), started crashing constantly. Shortly afterwards I noticed my system drive had gotten corrupted.

Perhaps that's the reason it runs hot, it's running at the limit and it can't afford lowering the voltage what so ever so it automatically gives the CPU more voltage than some better 3700x chips need. If so there seems to be a lot of these poor 3700x cpus, cause lots of people complain about them running hot.

0 Likes

if it runs hotter with an negative offset , it's 95% because you're doing something wrong, and maybe you should not mess with bios without knowing what you're doing ... again with a poor air cooler , don't be surprised to have 40-45° at so called "idle", it's OK.

another reason can be that your system is not up to date. Did you check the bios version ? is it the last one ?

AFTER you checked that your system is updated and is working 100% stable with DEFAULT settings, then you can try again with negative offset ... AND THEN if it doesn't handle -0.075v , then it's easy, try -0.05v ...etc

0 Likes

You're making a lot of wrong assumptions.

1. I never said it gets hotter with a negative offset.

2. I'm not using a "poor" air cooler, I'm using a Kraken X52. But it's in an ITX case so not the best airflow. (ghost s1)

3. The system is stable with default settings. Everything is default except I turned on the XMP memory profile.

4. I've updated the BIOS once, it's not the newest one however. The original BIOS had no chipset fan control and it was annoying as heck.

I'm not going to be installing every BIOS that gets released risking bricking the board for no reason, my motherboard does not have dual bios, it's an ITX board. It would be no reason cause it's not going to make any real difference, it's not like it will magically run 10c cooler. I'll update the BIOS when they've fixed all issues, I'm not going to be a BETA tester.

0 Likes
krzy
Adept I

I'm doing something wrong?  Lets see, install CPU, install cooler. Turn on. Seen the default voltages are high, so I turn them down.  And I'm doing something wrong?  Pretty straight forward.  

I've updated to the latest bios 0802 for x570 Hero.  I'm using a 280mm Kraken x62. I did, however, get the temp down to 37C by cranking up my fan and pump speeds.  Again, my voltage settings are;

Core 1.35
CPU SOC  1.2

DRAM   1.355

CLDO VDDG   1.0

PLL Volt   1.8 

Fan speed  minimum of 1300 rpm

Pump set @ 75% for anything over 25C.

Ambient room temp is 16C.

37C at 10%ish load. 

0 Likes

the question is , what do you think IS wrong ??

0 Likes

I'm just trying to lower temps on my CPU. I think it is wrong that my CPU temp is @ 40-45C @ approx 10% load. 

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Ryzen 3000 Update! Boost Clocks, Voltages, and More! - YouTube Time stamped to relevant portion.

This is the first thing I did when I built my 3900x system. Thats why my temperatures are so good. My suggestion to all is to just clean the pre-applied thermal paste off of any cooler that comes with it, and apply thermal paste to the processor in the correct spots manually.

2019.09.04-08.23_02.png

0 Likes

yeah, thats amazing temps you got for sure. 

0 Likes

A couple of questions,  What CPU cooler do you have and if it's an "io", what is your minimum fan speed?

0 Likes

EK Velocity block, 3x 560mm radiators. Ambient temperature plays a role as well.

0 Likes

Yeah, my ambient is 16C right now. Im using a 280mm radiator.  I set fan to 80% continuous until it reaches 70c, then it goes up to 100% (so the fan doesn't constantly spin up and down all the time)  I did notice bios temp lower than what windows is reporting. Probably due to some processes that are running in the background. But still, lowering frequency to 1.35v with a10% load gives me a temp of 38 - 40c. seems high (to me).  I'm not the only person with this issue. Many 3700x owners are scratching their heads.  

reporting   Clipboard0111.jpg

0 Likes

For the ambient temp, ya thats high. What cooler are you using?

0 Likes

Kraken x62 280mm

0 Likes

That seems to be a thing with people and Krakken coolers. I really thing the cold plate they use is not suitable for Zen 2, or you should try wiping off that pre-applied thermal paste and reapplying them to the chiplet areas.

0 Likes

I have a Kraken X52, at least for me replacing the thermal paste didn't help any. Used a bit more than usual as well, just to make sure I didn't use too little. (Gelid GC extreme) Seen a few tests, using too little can increase temperatures. Using too much just causes a mess, as long as it's not conductive. If it's conductive it will make your CPU run real cool (cause it won't run at all).

Not too surprising you have good temperatures, with that monster cooling setup. 3x 560mm radiators, didn't even know such existed.That's 4 x 140mm fans, must be a huge case to fit all those radiators. I have the opposite, a Ghost S1 . You could probably fit 4-8 Ghost S1s in your case. Maybe it's not quite wide enough to have 2 side by side.

I don't know much about custom watercooling, haven't really paid any attention to it. Too expensive.

0 Likes

the overkill helps with the high end temps, but its not doing THAT much for the idle. My threadripper 1950x system for instance had one 480mm rad on an open air case and idled as low as 23c. then, too, it was important to apply thermal paste over the proper areas of the ihs or els youre going to run hot even at idle.

now, if you have applied paste to the chiplet and IO die spots, NOT the center hoping it will spread appropriately, then you might want to look into a new brand of AIO for this cuz theres obviously something wrong with the krakkens. Either the coldplate sucks for zen 2 chiplet/IO placement, the pumps not pumping, the fans not spinning, something.

0 Likes
nickjackalson
Adept III

voltage looks too high

0 Likes

Thanks. but I did lower the voltage from the default 1.45v.   I'm just going to live with this.  See if it fixes itself over time with bios updates.  Thanks to everyone for your help. 

0 Likes
erospetercsaba
Journeyman III

Hey can someone help me out!

Yesterday I build a pc. The house is H500i, X62 Kraken, 3800X.

Watching youtube my cpu is at 60 C°. This is with NZXT setting I have not installed anything else. No ryzan master no oc were made. The main problem is sitting at 60C°. My case is at 80 db noise level. Please help me out

0 Likes

I have a similar case as yours but I'm running a 3700x.

What mainboard are you using?

What are the default CPU voltages in your bios?

What is the ambient temp in your room?

Is your PC in a ventilated area?

Do not remove the pre-applied thermal paste from your cooler.  Open CAM software and set the fan speed and your pump speed so they always run at 80%. This will both drop your temps and stop the fan from spinning up and down when the temp's spike.  I have a Kraken 62 and it's not very loud @ 80%. Go into your bios and lower your voltages. I am curious to know what the default voltages are on the 3800X. 

Hi!

using the Aorus X570 Elite mobo. I set the fans like this today but I am still getting an avrage of 50 C while idle... I rand Cinebench R20 3 times in a row and I the highest temp was 83 C and my max point was 4878. To be honest I am afraid to oc altought my boost clocks were like 4200 Mhz...

I will link some pictures.1.png2.png3.png

Névtelen.png

0 Likes

The chip is pretty much already optimized.  Not much point in OC.  when you say idle, you probably are thinking nothing is running in the background. What is the temp that is showing in your bios? The would suggest the true idle temp. As for getting your temps down in Win10, you could consider changing up your ATX case and installing more fans and radiators. There is a comment in this forum from a guy who has very impressive temperatures, however, he has as much cooling and airflow in his system that even Boeing would consider it as a WindTunnel.  But if you're stuck in your case, then I urge you to start to tweak. In order to lower the temp in windows 10, I suggest turning off some CPU intense programs that run in the background such as Cortana.  Also, download the x570 chipset drivers from the AMD website. https://www.amd.com/en/support  This allows for some extra options in the power settings in Windows 10. Lastly, be patient. Ryzen is such a new chip, it will take some time to allow the ecosystem to mature.  In my opinion, running cinebench 3 times in a row and having the chip temp max @ 84C isn't really that bad at all.  It's not like your using your PC at 100% capacity 100% of the time. 

0 Likes

So my main problem is basicly the heat spikes I think. In the bios the cpu-s temp sits at 35 C but every 5-10 seconds there is a heat spike to 40-46 C. I don't really understand this. I can accept higher temps but this one I don't get why...

0 Likes

Yea. Apparently some systems, according to AMD's new blog post, are still in situations where they cant idle properly because of boost requests for light tasks. Those boost requests are what causes the temperature spikes. The new bios that should be coming from board vendors should help more to solve that for any not already solved by the chipset driver update.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/09/10/ryzen-community-update-bios-updates-for-b... 

specifically:

"In late July, we implemented a series of software changes that would help the processor ignore requests for voltage/frequency boost from lightweight applications. The goal was to make the processor more relaxed at the desktop, but poised to react for serious workloads. While many of you were happy with the effect of the software changes, some of you were still grappling with cases where the CPU was a bit overzealous with boost. We wanted to smooth those out, too.

Today we’re announcing that AGESA 1003ABBA carries firmware-level changes designed to do just that. The changes primarily arrive in the form of an “activity filter” that empowers the CPU boost algorithm itself to disregard intermittent OS and application background noise. Example test cases might include: video playback, game launchers, monitoring utilities, and peripheral utilities. These cases tend to make regular requests for a higher boost state, but their intermittent nature would fall below the threshold of the activity filter."

Also tho, in your Screenshots it looks like you had everything on the taskbar open except windows store and email. A lot of those apps will, especially web browser, will keep a load on the CPU and you'll never see idle.

0 Likes

Hey thanks for all the help till this point. I am downloaded the new chipset drivers but still got the heat spikes sadly. Also got the latest bios as well so not really a big help there. 

So I kinda understand why I have heatspikes while browsing and stuff. But why do I have heatspikes in the BIOS when doing nothing? That one I can not understand sadly. 

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

According to Gordon from PCWorld, its possible you used snot instead of thermal paste on your processor. might want to check that :3

0 Likes

I am using the NZXT Kraken X62 cooler and it comes with pre applied thermal paster, so sadly I don't think that's the problem.

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

i think i'm gonna cry

0 Likes

Why tho?

0 Likes

i just flashed the new ABBA bios , don't need the negative offset anymore to reach 32-35° at idle , that will reassure people that are so affraid their cpu is deffective lol ..., and ABBA is such a good band

i just seen you are watching the temps in ryzen master , your 50° are on "cpu package" , your "cpu" temps must be 5 to 10° lower , so nothing unusual

I have the h115i pro watercooling, I set pump and fans on balanced, but if i want the watercooling to be efficient the pump as to be at max , if it's not at max, fans can be at 100% but won't have lot of effect on cpu cooling than if pump is at 100% ...

0 Likes
mkastle87
Journeyman III

I am a new 3700x on an x570 gaming edge wifi board and I'd like to add my struggles with idle temps at 60c 

Gaming 60-70c 

H100i cooler T30 Paste 

Intake rad fans along with intake roof fans and one rear exhaust and no benefits in several fan arrangements 

PBO and XMP set 

1.4 to 1.43v all the time! 

Only way for me to get normal temps was withwr a manual OC or no Boost in anyway 

3600 at .9 to 1.1 was the best temps i got 

0 Likes

I really don't understand why do I have to give up perfomance because of my CPU is overheating otherwise. Even with Windows Balanced and great cooling (Kraken X62) when I am browsing I get 55-65 C... What a joke

0 Likes

I just did a manual OC @ 4250 @ 1.33135v with a Ram OC @ 1533 @ 1.35v running 49C at idle!

0 Likes
naman_4130
Adept I

Am having the same issues with my Ryzen 3700X, my ambient temperature is about 18C whereas my CPu idles at about 40C, moreover I've had my PC shut down twice on prime 95 as the temps shoot up to 100C+ in about 20 minutes of testing, should I get a replacement for my chip?  My RAM is running at AXMP @ 3200mhz

0 Likes