Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mikki79
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 3700x is way too hot

I also have a 3700x with a Kraken x52 AIO liquid cooler. I was playing some AC Odyssey, first time I checked the CPU temperature it was 65c (not too bad I though) played 15 minutes and checked again, 70c, then 15 minutes later 75c... uh is it ever gonna stop settled at around 75c with peaks to 80c. Just from loading windows the temperature spikes up to 70c.

I think a 240mm AIO liquid cooler should manage better than 80-85c when playing games. The temperatures are like 15-20c higher than what reviewers got, and most of them used the stock cooler. Then again they were all using x570 motherboards, I'm using an x470. (ASUS Strix x470 itx). Maybe there is something wrong with X470/B450 BIOS for Ryzen 3000?

I've never had a CPU die before I stopped using the PC,  and I've had some for over 8 years. I think this might be the first one that actually will die, cause they've never run this hot before. Well my laptop gets roughly as hot, but well it's a laptop. And what's with the 1.5V Vcore when Idle?

My Ryzen 5 2600 I had before this one never got hotter than like 65c.

0 Kudos
owisun
Adept I
Adept I

I have same mobo and procesor like you! On prism cooler i have 55-65° and in games go to 80°+   wtf is rong with this launch? Wtf is with this temperature's?

0 Kudos
mcalin
Adept III
Adept III

CAM software for Kraken X52 ect is not detecting 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU's, i suggest you check the CAM software is functioning correctly, have a look at liquid temp.

https://support.camwebapp.com/forums/252256-cam-bugs/suggestions/38117254-cam-can-t-read-any-info-fr...

mcalin
Adept III
Adept III

You can always make you own custom Power Plan by looking at others and tinkering with them, if i need extra processing power i have my Power Plan set like in image, if i want more cooling i lower the minimum processor state to as low as 0%.

Min-Max-CPU-State.png

0 Kudos
mikki79
Adept I
Adept I

I actually already have it set to liquid temperature. I find it better to control the fans like that, CPU temperature fluctuates too much. The fans constantly changing speed makes the noise more noticable. Making the fans run fast once the liquid temperature passes a certain treshold and slow down once it gets cool again seems like a better idea.

I've also tried to run the fans at fixed speed set to 100% which does lower the temperature by 5-6 degrees. But it also makes it unbearably noisy.

I am using a Louqe Ghost S1 case however which probably does raise the temperature a few degrees. Some of the air reaching the radiator is warm air from the GPU (gigabyte RTX 2080 windforce).This probably makes the AIO less effective when the GPU is in use, like when gaming.

Jayztwocents did get an R7 1800X run at roughly 65c max in a Ghost S1 however, so I don't think a 3700x should run that much hotter. I'd expect 70-75c max.

0 Kudos
mikki79
Adept I
Adept I

I've ordered a Gigabyte x570 itx board but they didn't have it in stock. I guess I'll see if the temperatures will improve once I get it. I won't get it for another week or two unfortunately. Seems they are in a bit short supply.

0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner
Forerunner

I thought the vcore (cpu) voltage was suppose to be like 1.35....

I've seen some videos where the bios' are bugged and you need to manually change voltage.

0 Kudos
mikki79
Adept I
Adept I

For some reason it's 1.5v when idle in windows (Auto no overclock). If you offset the voltage so it ends up being 1.35V the performance will drop to the level of a 2700x.

0 Kudos
ionstorm
Adept I
Adept I

Mister, 

I've noticed you're all over these forums, actually some posts being funny saying screenshot for proof, well that's a little odd. 

Do you have a 3700X at all? Do you have any personal hands on experience? I've had all 3 series of the ryzen chips and I have no woes in telling you the 3000 are going down hill not up. 

The move from 1700X to 2700X was cracking, the move from 2700x is cringe.

If I wanted the pure heat these monsters kick our id have gone to intel, 55+oc in Bios is just insane, and these new CPUs are inverted, they use more voltage on low load and less volts on high load.

You also said the temps are safe to 95, i can assure you the PC will shut down at 85 not 95

Temps are at least 10oc higher than the 2700X,and the new clock speeds are utterly disappointing. I've barely gained any mhz over my 2700X!

mikki79
Adept I
Adept I

I wouldn't say the 3000 seires are "going down hill", the performance is good, but the temperatures are not. This Ryzen 3700x chip will be nice in the winter, but not so nice right now. The CPU has never gone over 85c yet so using it probably would not kill it, but I just can't sit next to this thing, the room turns into a Sauna.

I wonder why tech reviewers got so much better temperatures? Like 15-20c lower than many users, while using the stock cooler... Perhaps they all have computer rooms with AC lowering the temperature to like 18c, but that would still not explain the temperature difference. I'm using an AIO liquid cooler (240mm radiator) and  get 15-20c higher temperatures than what reviewers got with the box cooler. How does that work? And it's not that the heat isn't transferred from the CPU to the radiator, cause the radiator gets burning hot. The whole PC case feels like an oven.

These Ryzen 3000 chips behave like GPUs, once the temperature gets too hot the clockspeed goes down the toilet. When I was playing AC Odyssey the CPU ran at 4.3Ghz+ at the start but once it reached 80c the clocks were down to 4Ghz. A lot of the performance disappears as well then. I wonder if these CPUs really are as energy efficient as they say, seems like all this heat would require quite a bit of power.