cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tuyguy98
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3700x is way too hot

Hi all, I recently upgraded my system with a ryzen 3700x.  However upon booting up, the cpu has been idling around 55-65 degrees c which in my opinion is way too hot.  When i stress test it, it goes up into the high 70s and low 80s which is also really hotter than i would like.  As for a cooler, i am using the included wraith prism along with some corsair thermal paste.  anyone experiencing problems like this? or have found a solution to it?

Thanks for your time!!!pastedImage_1.png

Tags (2)
89 Replies
draghmar
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 3700x is way too hot

I have similar experience. Using much better cooler then the stock one, I had ~55C when idle and going to 90C when seriously stressed. Prime95 goes even to the limit of 95C. There's really something wrong with those CPUs because the only way to fight this is to turn off feature called PBO and lower vcore to min possible. That's the only way this CPU can get some reasonable temps.

misterj
Exemplar

draghmar, if you really think something is wrong with these processors (I do not), please open a Support Ticket.  Ryzen does a great job of protecting itself and I suspect AMD will say all is well.  Many years ago I tested transistors to military specifications (for space use) and we tested to 125C junction.  AMD does know what they are doing!  Enjoy, John.

misterj
Exemplar

tuyguy98, your Ryzem Master (RM) (Thanks for the screenshot) looks fine.  You did not say what OS your are running but W10 1903 got more aggressive on the Balanced Power Plan.  If you do not like the results, please modify the plan.  A 'Quality Cooler' will help a whole lot.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
draghmar
Adept I

I already did open support ticket but I didn't get response yet.

TBH I don't care too much about Ryzen knowing how to protect itself. I mean it's great it does great job about that but that's not the issue here. There many people all over the net that have temps way over what is considered normal level. Some of it could because of poor explanation of what PBO is and what is not and how to get properly configured system.

I will reset BIOS settings to check how the CPU would behave but if it's going to be like after first boot, where in BIOS I got 40-45C then...well...I don't think it's good. It's very simple actually - I'd like to use my PC in a comfortable way and not have the warm feeling going around my legs. (my PC sits on the ground, near where I'm sitting)

misterj
Exemplar

draghmar, you are 100% correct - AMD has done a very lousy job of explaining their products. I am sure your are also correct here: "There many people all over the net..." but they as you are simply wrong. Junction temperature deep inside silicon chips can easily exceed 125C while the chip preforms its job. The designers will need to account for the increased temperature.  Many a GPU runs at 100C or higher with no problem - designers take care. It is obvious that users are not informed (AMD BAD). I do not work for AMD or speak for them.  Again, please allow AMD (Online Support) to hear strongly what your opinion is!  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
tuyguy98
Journeyman III

So after finally getting a response from their support team(after like 4 days) they recommended that I change my power plan from high performance to balanced inside the control panel.  This drastically lowered my idle temps from 60c down to 35-40c which is much more toward my liking.  However, i'm not sure why the high performance causes such an issue as my previous CPU's have not encountered this issue in the past.  Hopefully someone can benefit from this and thanks for your help everyone!!!

0 Likes
draghmar
Adept I

It really doesn't matter at what temp can this chip work internally. What matters is that the limit set by AMD itself is 95C. So if I can bring this CPU (that's not even the top of the line mind you) to the edge without to much hassle then there's clearly something wrong. And it's not only me that reports things like that. On this forum are evidences of this. On other forums as well. The problem is it's not consistent. Some people and the reviewers aren't having so much with temps.

Also there's some odd things like cooler being cool even if the temps are so high when logic dictates it should be also at least warm because you know - it should dispense the heat.

draghmar
Adept I

Fun story to be honest. Because manipulating power plan is often response for the issues with temps and voltage. I myslef have it set to AMD balanced. I didn't do it myself but the drivers did. So I'm assuming that it should the way it is? Or maybe I should go for the built-in balanced to get my temps down...geez how much hassle there is to get all this working as it should.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

tuyguy98, you must not be running W10 1903 - true?  When you upgrade to 1903,  the high temperatures will come back.  MS changed their Balanced Plan to be more aggressive in 1903.   You have simply limited the highest frequency your processor can run.  Please try this:  Run a benchmark, like Cinebench and record the score.  Then change back to the Ryzen Balanced Power plan and run Cinebench.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes