Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BeybladeLevi
Adept I

Ryzen 3700X - boosting and temperature fluctuations

Dear AMD Community!

I recently exchanged my R7 1700 for a R7 3700X.

I reset my BIOS settings through the CMOS battery, running everything on auto/stock settings and using the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.

While looking at my temperatures and voltages in Ryzen Master, I see extreme spikes once I move my mouse.

While not doing anything, clocks go down below 1000Mhz and voltages below 1.0V, but once I move my mouse they spike up to 1.4V and clocks boost to 3000Mhz or more, even if I am just using my mouse.

Is this normal behaviour or should I change certain settings? Should I invest in an aftermarket cooler? I am currently using the stock cooler and I am not sure if it's okay if the temperatures spike up to 60+ degrees just because I moved my mouse.

System Specs:

• Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • PSU: Corsair RMx850W
  • System Memory: 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200 16GB DDR4
  • GPU (VBIOS): RTX 3070
  • OS (Version): Windows 10 x64
  • Driver: Newest BIOS 6.40 and newest AMD Chipset Drivers

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
WARhead85a
Journeyman III

this is just the sleep mode for the cores. if you do nothing, the cores clock down to save some extra watts. when they wake up by moving the mouse, cores need more voltage for boosting up clockspeeds. if you want, you can check the powerplan settings in windows, if they are on max performance and ajust them, so that the cores never go into the sleepmode. for the temps, everything under 80°c under full load is fine, if the temps go much over 80°c then you should maybe check your airflow or think about a better cooler. this cpu´´  s try always to push the max out of them, the better your cooling, the better the performance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
WARhead85a
Journeyman III

this is just the sleep mode for the cores. if you do nothing, the cores clock down to save some extra watts. when they wake up by moving the mouse, cores need more voltage for boosting up clockspeeds. if you want, you can check the powerplan settings in windows, if they are on max performance and ajust them, so that the cores never go into the sleepmode. for the temps, everything under 80°c under full load is fine, if the temps go much over 80°c then you should maybe check your airflow or think about a better cooler. this cpu´´  s try always to push the max out of them, the better your cooling, the better the performance.

0 Likes

Alright, thank you very much for the advice!

During benchmarks the max temp. was around 85 degrees, but I fear that in demanding games + obs the temperatures might become a problem.

I will probably be upgrading my cooler in that case

Thanks!

0 Likes

I know this is an old post now but I had similar problems..

I went from 1700 to 3700x on my old Asus Prime x370 board and voltages, temps etc were all over the place, latest bios loaded..

I found it was the 370 chipset and the VRM's not stable or providing enough power..

After upgrading to Asus TUF Gaming Plus x570 everything was spot on..

I have the Lian Li Galad 240mm AIO for my cooler (CPU temp is between 34 - 42c idle) depend how warm the room is..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes