cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fluidz
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3700x/5800x, 2 threads spiking to 100% (sawtooth effect) in Burnout Paradise Remastered

cpu spiking burnout paradise.png

Hi,

When I play Burnout Paradise Remastered, two of the cpu threads are spiking to 100% roughly every 7 seconds, a sawtooth pattern and this seems to be causing an issue when Gsync is enabled.

Gsync enabled (fullscreen only) : there is a small stutter every 7 seconds, observed when rotating the camera slowly in game.

Gsync disabled : there doesn't appear to be any stuttering as long as Vsync is enabled.  When Vsync is disabled there is a tear line that moves slowly from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen every 7 seconds.  Two of the cpu threads are still spiking to 100% every 7 seconds.

The same behaviour happened with my previous cpu, a Ryzen 3700x. Changing the cpu to a Ryzen 5800x has not fixed the problem

I have found a workaround to stop the stutter if keeping Gsync enabled - Whilst in game, If i change the in game resolution from 1440p to 1080p, the game will stop stuttering every 7 seconds, and remains stutter free even after switching the resolution back to 1440p.  This fix only works until i relauch the game then it will stutter again and i have to repeat the resolution toggle fix.

If anyone has an intel build, does the same occur on that system?  Seeing as this issue has occured whilst using both a Ryzen 3700x and Ryzen 5800x cpu I'm wondering if its a Ryzen specific issue, that's why i'm posting the issue here today.

I've been playing alot of Resident Evil 2 remastered lately, on Steam, and even when using Gsync, I have not seen anything like this. 

Thanks for any suggestions as to why this may be happening.

Pc Specs :

Cpu : Ryzen 5800x
Gpu : Nvidia 2080ti, driver 461.40
Storage : Crucial m4 ssd
Ram : 16gb crucial ballistix sport ddr4 ram @ xmp 3200mhz

0 Likes
1 Reply
benman2785
Big Boss

do you have a second screen where you can see what processes are running?
100/16 = 6.25% is one core

so if ANY process takes 6.25 to 12.5% when those spikes happen that this is the problem
(like for me my GSkill RGB Software sometimes (1-3x a month) takes a whole CPU core for its task - i just close it and reopen it and its gone)

if only the game is over 5% CPU use = than its a bug with the GAME
if the nvidia driver is with over 8% than its a driver issue

try to force the game to phyiscal cores only (like with NotCPUCores) - if the error is fixed than its either the Windows scheuduler or a game-engine bug...

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS