totalschaden
Adept I

Ryzen 3600 stuck on 4.05Ghz

Got the Following Setup:

Ryzen 3600

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus Wifi

Noctua NH-D15 Cooler

Patriot Viper 3733 17-19-19-39

My Cpu wont boost beyond 4050Mhz (4041,81 in CPU-Z) in any Mode, I tried Default / PBO and Auto Overclocking.

It dosnt matter if I run Multi Core Stress/Bench or Single Core, all the time it boosts to 4050Mhz All Core / Single Core.

I would be happy if it would boost to 4.2Ghz when only 1 Core is on Load, but I cant get it past 4.05Ghz.

Board Temps/VRM always Cold.

Cpu Temp always below Single 50°C Multi 64°C

Not sure what to do, already tried alot of stuff in the Bios, then Cmos Clear, Load Default, try stuff again, etc. Its always stuck on 4050Mhz

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4041.81 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR 

0 Likes
38 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

totalschaden, I see your are running Profile  2 and Overclocking, so you are doing this.  Please read RM's warning about voiding your warranty.  RM shot looks fine.  Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Dont see the point of your post, im looking for a solution, not legal assistence for warranty matters. Thanks for confirming RM shot looking fine though.

0 Likes

Good grief.  I do not know how users expect to get help by denigrating the helper!  John.

EDIT: Your specifications say your processor should boost to 4200 MHz.  I recommend that you open an AMD Online Support Ticket.

0 Likes

Actually no thats what Ryzen master looks like when it says PBO or Default. It lists all cores at the rated boost speed.

0 Likes
masterba1t
Journeyman III

Hello, 

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with my Ryzen 3600. CPU boost is stucked on 4.05 GHz (Single core) no matter what. Interestingly I have Asus motherboard as well (TUF B50M-gaming). I hope some bios update will fix this issue, I really like this CPU.

0 Likes
testsieger73
Adept I

I have heard that some Asus boards are still struggeling with Zen 2. I am running a 3600 on an "old" X370 from MSI with a crappy beta BIOS and it boosts beyond 4.2 with Auto OC enabled.

This is the answer. ASUS x570 owners, ASUS boards in general really, aren't likely to see proper boost clocks with Zen 2. It might be a few other x570 boards from other vendors too but I dont really follow them.

ASUS bios team just slacked with this launch. It will improve tho.

0 Likes

Steve From HWU did an in depth video that shows its more than just ASUS. Lots of different boards are having trouble hitting their boost frequencies, and im going to guess NONE of them are actually maintaining those boosts for any reasonable time.

0 Likes

MSI has been dumping new BIOS updates quite a bit of late

X470 Gaming Plus

0 Likes
totalschaden
Adept I

Managed to "fix" the Issue by installing a fresh Windows 10, it now boosts to 4.18 max. by default but even with auto oc or pbo fixed to +75mhz it wont boost beyond the 4.18ghz. I wrote both to Asus and Amd Support, both dont seem to care much. Amd offerd that I send the CPU in, which im not interested in and Asus Support stopped caring after I told them new install fixed the Issue with 4.05 stuck. Not interested looking into the Pbo/Auto Oc problem it seems.

Would be nice to get beyon 4.18ghz when only using 1 Core but i can live with it.

0 Likes

4,18 seems a bit odd, maybe you want to make sure that Spread Spectrum is disabled in your BIOS.

0 Likes

I cannot find anything with that name or anything simular. Any Idea what to look for ? CPU-Z shows Bus Speed 99.80 but I dont see any Bios option to change it to 100.

0 Likes

99.80 in CPU-Z is correct, Spread Spectrum is disabled (which mostly is the case by default anyway, you should find it somewhere in your BIOS CPU settings). If you can confirm (e.g. with HWInfo) that none of your cores boost to ~4200 MHz but only ~4175 MHz, then I still suspect your BIOS. You could set your BCLK in your BIOS to 100 (Auto by default) but I don't think this will improve things whatsoever. Again, ASUS is not the best choice at the moment for Zen 2, but this will improve with upcoming BIOS updates.

0 Likes

No BCLK settings aswell, used search for both. Its not reaching 4.2 on any Core, even when PBO is active with 4275 max, its still always below 4.2

0 Likes

Can you manually overclock it to 4.2 and then check on your CPU-Z readings?

0 Likes

Manual it shows 4199 back to default or Pbo it goes to 4149 most of the time, and sometimes very short 4174

save2x2
Journeyman III

Same here:

Ryzen 5 3600

Asus prime x370-pro (bios 5204)

Boost stuck at 4100Mhz, multiplier shows  x 41 max in cpu-z. All settings in bios by default.

0 Likes
s88urd
Journeyman III

Me too,

Ryzen 5 3600

Asus Prime X470 Pro (Bios 5204)

Never seems to boost past 4100 despite thermals being fine and all settings in BIOS seem fine.

0 Likes
delavoy
Journeyman III

Same problem here!

Ryzen 3600

Be quite dark rock slim

MSI Mortar B450M (Bios Version 7B89v19)

16 GB Ballistix Sport LT

Max Multiplikator is 41 in CPUZ and Ryzen Master. Max Boost 4100 MHz.

0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

Beyond a clean install of Windows 10 (which I hope it included the lastest AMD Chipset Drivers from the website), you could try disable PBO, XFR and any Auto-Overclocking option you can find in BIOS (either Asus or AMD ones), leave voltage on auto or default, turn off any vcore offset you could have set. Next go into Windows and download 1. HWINFO Portable (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/) from thier official page, and 2. Cinebench R20. Run HWINFO - ONLY SENSORS (avoid using the beta version), you will find MIN, AVG and MAX columns, now launch Cinebench R20 (single and 12 core tests) and run the bench, HWINFO will keep track of the highest frecuency your CPU reach on the MAX column, please let us know what the readings are.

Thanks

0 Likes

Look in my post above. I add some screenshots.

0 Likes

Hi delavoy, first of all, Im not an expert nor similar, I can see that on hwinfo it looks as top speed was ~4125MHz (which is not bad), not the 4.2GHz it should have reached according to what AMD website. Also are you running Windows 8 (Cinebench screenshot)? Since your cooler should be way better than stock one, I believe CPU temps are not the limiting factor (I can't confirm that since theres no hwinfo pic with temps). Even though Windows 8 may not the best OS to use with Ryzen 3xxx CPU I don't thnk is hurting your build either. The only thing I can imagine is that maybe, just maybe, your CPU boost behavior (without manual tunning) may need more power than what your motherboard "feels confortable" to deliver. HWIinfo shows that to reach 4125MHz  your CPU needs 1.450v. On my Ryzen 5 3600 (before I disable PB to have silence again), I've saw voltage go as high as 1.468v on hwinfo, and frecuency to ~4.199MHz (With my stock cooler, frecuency drops down really fast anyways, and temps goes up way higher than I feel confortable with - another reason why I disable PBO. Also when gaming on an RTX 2070, when playing SOTR or BFV I didn't noticed any frame drops for 60Hz my monitor can handle. Even if I disable vsync, both games shows AVG FPS above ~90, never saw FPS drop below ~75, ad this is playing at the highest image settings).

Im not defending AMD with the next, but since this is a new fabrication node (7nm) for Zen2, theres probably a lot of things that can be tuned (on the software side of things), maybe a new BIOS, Windows update, and/or AMD Chipset Drivers will eventually fix most, if not all CPU boosting issues. I honestly didn't have much time to test and overclock my CPU yet, but if I found something new I will try to post it here with pics. The first thing I wana test when I have time, is to see how much voltage do I need to get to stable 4.1GHz.

For now 4.2GHz with my stock cooler is a NO. So I will try 4.1GHz and see if I can get near that with around 1.350~1.380v

0 Likes

I use Windows 10 Home 1903. Another one is Cinebench Error. If i use MSI Game Npost my CPU is stable in 4200 MHz with 1.36V Vcore and 1.1V Soc.

I dont understand why my CPU will not achive in Auto boost the 4200 MHz. It stuck At 4100 MHz. PBO doesnt really Help.

0 Likes

I found the same, PBO and AMD "AutoOverclocking" does not really help at all, the only thing it did in my case was raise vcore voltage even higher and temps with it. Thats why I disable PBO, and AMD AutoOverclocking as soon as i got my Ryzen 5 3600 (on my Gigabyte B450 gaming X those are split in 3 dif options that needs to be turned off).

0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

Also as an update, maybe some of you saw it already, maybe didn't, read, and see this two:

Zen2's 7nm Complications: Why not All Ryzen 3000 Cores Are Created Equal - Tom's Hardware 

AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Boost Clock Investigation - YouTube 

Cheers !

0 Likes
testsieger73
Adept I

AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Boost Clock Investigation - YouTube 

As I mentioned before, it is Motherboard / BIOS related and will most likely be fixed with upcoming BIOS versions. As you can also see, no ASUS board in this video hits the max boost frequency at the moment. Don't gasp, be patient

0 Likes
rodrox
Adept III

Ok, so I got back home from work, and I run Cinebench Single Core Test (see the image for details).

Only PB is enable on BIOS, so no PBO, XFR, Auto-overcloking, nothing like that (everything else is on Auto, no offset volatge,nothing at all).

I found two things:

1. Clock was around what I wrote earlier, 4192.3MHz, bouncing around the best cores as expected for a Ryzen 3xxx CPU (thats almost 4.2GHz).

2. Voltage was lower than I remember, between 1.388 and 1.425volts (maybe something to do with the new AGESA 1003ABB and/or the chipset drivers).

So yeah, perhaps the issues reported have something to do with motherboards, something that may prevent CPU from reaching higher clocks.

Once again, my mobo is a Gigabyte B450 Gaming X (which is nothing special, but for the strange VRM configuration which Im still trying to figure out.

Cheers

I will wait for the new bios update and will then contact me. according to AMD, the problem with my motherboard is due to missing AGESA 1003 ABB.

0 Likes

I too have received a similiar reply from AMD. They advised to ensure my BIOS is up to date and they are currently working on AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB

0 Likes

Even 1.0.0.3ABB isnt perfect however. Its gonna need another one or more to completely iron out the boosting issues.

0 Likes
polestar
Newcomer

I have my ryzen 5 3600 operating up to 4.1GHz all cores at 1.325v Vcore. It is fully stable.

In my case i was not able to reach 4.2GHz unless i changed de Vcore up high.

Also i want to mention that it was imposible to reach a stable clock higher than 4.00 with ryzen Master, i just had to do it with the override mode of the motherboard

My PC specs:

cpu: Ryzen 5 3600

gpu: RX 590

ram: 16gb DDR4 3200 cl16

motherboard: MSI B450A-PRO (agesa 1.0.0.3.ABBA)

0 Likes

Does your oc speed and voltage go down at idle? Mine won't go down at idle.

0 Likes

Yes, it will go up to 4.125 @1.325v only if i push it, gaming ultra at 1080 and recording/streaming at 1080 60fps

If im in the desktop or internet Ryzen master shows that the Average Core Voltage is betwen 0.3-0.7 also the speed drops down to +-300Mhz

Captura.PNG

0 Likes

What is your idle and max temp?

0 Likes

Idle: 39-40ºC (+-104ºF)

Max: 81ºC (+-177ºF)

Room temperature: 20-25ºC (68-77ºF)

Cpu cooler: Thermaltake contac 9

Case: Nox Hummer zx with (2 frontal 120mm fans, 1 back 120mm fan)

Soon I will put two more 120mm fans on top and change the thermal paste to Noctua NT-H1

0 Likes

140mm fans are better if they fit

0 Likes

I know, but my case is not prepaired to have fans over 120mm

0 Likes

polestar wrote:

I know, but my case is not prepaired to have fans over 120mm

must be a real puny box, i use the monster Cooler Master HAF 932 which has 230mm fans

0 Likes