cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tombstone
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3600 reason for high ping?

So, i have just installed my new Ryzen 5 3600 CPU last week and everything have been working smoothly, until this weekend.

Suddenly i am experiencing very high pings when i game. If i just browse the web or watch movies i have 0 issues and my download/upload speed is just as it should be. I am using cabled connection, so no wifi issues.

Now, the fun part. I have another PC, for my wife, its an older Intel system. When that pc plays alone, no issues, ping is just as it should be, between 15-30ms~. But as soon as i open a game on my machine, the ping sky rockets to anywhere between 300 and 13.000ms. The games tested has been CS:GO, LoL (Teamfight Tactical) and Escape From Tarkov.

I watched guides which got me through the RegEdit, but that did not help. So now i am typing this question, from a freshly installed windows but it just got 10x more weird.

I tried a Cinebench R20 score, just to do it, no reason. And as soon as that CPU got working, the ping on my wifes PC exploded.

I dont know what is going on, and i have no idea where to start. I posted this in the CPU forum since the ping on my network increases whenever the CPU load increases.

It shouldnt have anything to do with each other, but, it just seems it is?

Any ideas?

Kind regards

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

I agree with you, tombstone.  The CPU should have not effect ping times - weird.  You have told us nothing about your system so we cannot even speculate.  I have three NICs on my system - if you have more than one, please move your internet connection.  Please DL a fresh, newest NIC driver from the manufacturer's DL site.  Make sure you have the latest of all drivers and from the manufacturer, not the MB vendor.  Get all your AMD drivers from the AMD DL site.  Please do a Clear CMOS using the instructions from your User Manual, then post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
tombstone
Journeyman III

I found the issue.

The Memory was in slot A2 and B2 on my Asus X470 rog strix f- gaming board. The Asus forum claimed that in order for D.O.C.P to work, the memory should be in A2 and B2, therefore i switched from A1 and B1. It worked fine for a couple of days until this happened.

A fresh Windows install did help a bit, meaning that the ping wouldnt go absurdly high (12.000+ ms), but i still had issues. So i tried to put the memory back to A1 and B1 and remove the D.O.C.P profile. Now everything works as it should.

I suspect the issue to be down to me not having ram officially supported by AMD. Its a set of HyperX Predator RGB ram, and last i looked, its not on the guaranteed list from AMD. So, i just have to stick by 2400Mhz on my DDR4 until i can get some memory that is guaranteed to work.

Im still baffled by this though. My entire network just got put down by memory being in the "wrong" slots.

But i do appreciate your time to answer John  thank you for that.

Kind regards.

0 Likes

tombstone, some of my opinion:  The problem is not the slots used or your memory, but the DOCP.  ASUS has implemented the XMP via its own DOCP.  If you can use XMP (NOT DOCP) you should be able to run your memory in A1/B1 or A2/B2.  Apparently A2/B2 performs a little better.  The memory QVL list is from your MB vendor Not AMD and does not say that any memory outside the list will not work, just that it has probably not been tested.  I ran my memory in A1/B1/C1/D1 in my 2990WX as a test and it ran fine.  I suspect if you can get ASUS to turn off its DOCP and Performance Enhancer (??), you will be able to run a REAL XMP profile (if available in BIOS) just fine.

Remember this is my opinion. I do not work for or represent AMD in any way.

Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
tombstone
Journeyman III

I appreciate your time and opinion

As far as i have looked in the BIOS, there isnt any XMP profile, only the DOCP mode.

Well, i primarily game on my PC, so the 5-10 fps i have lost by going 2400Mhz instead of 3200Mhz is something i can endure

Else i will just have to try and manually overclocking the memory. Its okay any way.

Again John, thank you for your time

Kind regards.

0 Likes

You are very welcome, tombstone.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes