cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

joefuss75
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 3600 random reboots

Had the same issues for a while.  For me i think in the end the only thing that worked for me was, turning off XMP and  configuring ram speeds and voltage manually.   And a lot of trial and error.  Otherwise, i was very close to RMA myself, cause i went through 3 different ram stick sets, 2 power supplies, and all had the same problems.

pokester
MVP

I would agree that 400 should be enough for your configuration as your GPU only needs 300. That doesn't mean though that your Power Supply is working right. 

The advice joefuss75‌ gave is great advise to check too. Those memory timings if not right play havoc on stability. A bad stick does too. 

You can use OCCT from ocbase_com to check your power supply and see if it finds an issue. Might be worth doing before sending a CPU or Motherboard in for RMA or swapping memory sticks. 

As others have stated when buying a Power Supply going well over your needs never hurts. 

I don't buy the more voltage being more efficient claim. It doesn't work that way.

Efficiency is in the build quality of the PS. A Gold is more efficient than a Silver rated PS and a Platinum better than a Gold, etc. Changing from 400 to 650 wattage alone doesn't make it more efficient. Either you equipment uses the power or it doesn't. Now what buying a higher than you need PS can do is that over time a power supply will degrade and if you are over what you need and it degrades you may still be okay. If you buy right at what you need and it degrades you can be in trouble. 

0 Kudos
rui_ddit
Adept I

RMA'd the CPU and Motherboard.

Memtest runs fine so memory is fine. 

I bet this is a problem of stability with ryzens memory management, or a defective board or cpu

To everyone saying it's can be a power supply issue, i calculated everything properly. Source: electronics engineering degree. The power supply  is enough, the issue happens in idle not a high load, and the power supply is stable, which means it cant be too weak power supply . However it could be not enough power on the cpu or memory sticks.

Will keep updating, i should have more news next week

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

rui_ddit wrote:

RMA'd the CPU and Motherboard.

Memtest runs fine so memory is fine. 

I bet this is a problem of stability with ryzens memory management, or a defective board or cpu

To everyone saying it's can be a power supply issue, i calculated everything properly. Source: electronics engineering degree. The power supply  is enough, the issue happens in idle not a high load, and the power supply is stable, which means it cant be too weak power supply . However it could be not enough power on the cpu or memory sticks.

Will keep updating, i should have more news next week

In my experience, BIOS bugs and the fact that AMD processors are more sensitive to memory does make it more frustrating.

One real problem is that cheap 4 layer motherboards are not very good for higher speeds RAM requirements. The better 6 layer boards are far better designed for higher performance components. Unfortunately most reviewers are unaware of the difference.

My DDR4-3200 runs at 1866 on the MSI X470 Gaming Plus. The same RAM on the MSI X570-A PRO does DDR4-2933 which is the limit for my R5 2400G processor.

The Ryzen 3000 series processors can handle DDR4-3200 on a 6 layer board.

0 Kudos
mviper
Adept II

As I've said... change the CPU if you can... or at least try Prime95 for 15 minutes.

rui_ddit
Adept I

Hi everyone, just giving an update.

RMA'd the CPU and motherboard and as suspected the defect was in the CPU. They shipped me a new ryzen 3600.

I'm happy to report that the system is now stable. The system was stable with my first CPU in the very beggining, the problems only arose after a couple weeks, but if you dont see anymore updates from my side, it will mean the system is still stable. On a plus side, no more strange kernel logs about MCE, which probably means this CPU is fine.

DDR is running at XMP profile 1 (3200MHz), no issues. Its a hyperx ddr4 16GB memory stick, its listed as compatible in both AMD and MSI's board website.

For now everything is OK!

Thanks for the help !

mviper
Adept II

Told ya.

AMD is having aaaaaaaaa loooooot of RMA's  lately.. I don't know wtf is going on with their QC..

rui_ddit
Adept I

thx man! and yes, that's what I've been seeing too in a lot of pots, some QC issues. Might be they refine it in due time, as this generation is quite new still

0 Kudos
mviper
Adept II

Anytime. Glad to help, 'coz I've lost about a month or so to play around and found the issue I've never had before.

Well if you want to compete and be DA TopDog, QC should be on top of your list, imho.

salseropilot
Adept II

How did you conclude it was a CPU, and not a Motherboard issue ? You said you RMA'ed both Motherboard and CPU.

0 Kudos