cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jotaeler
Adept I

Ryzen 3600 random reboot (another one)

As many users I'm facing same issues and I'm running out of ideas. Reboots occurs randomly, couldn't find any relation with software or hardware usage, reboots can occur during gaming or simply googling.

Always same error in the event log: Machine Check Exception Processor Core. WHEA-Logger

What I have tested:

- Reinstall Windows

- Un plug frontal USB and Audio from motherboard.

- Passed Memtest without errors

- Passed OCCT without errors

Hardware:

AMD Ryzen 3600

MSI B550 Gaming Plus

RAM Corsair Vengance PRO 2x8GB 3200

Asus Radeon RX 580 DUAL

SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO

PSU Mars Gaming MPII 850

Any ideas?

Thanks

23 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Have you tried updating the BIOS and using the system BIOS in factory settings without any changes?

For finding the problem, such systems should be tried using a single module RAM and only a SATA (not M2) disk. It should be tried without anything unnecessary attached to the motherboard. Restart problems are hardware failures... So you need to find the cause of the failure.

Also what is your PSU... Not very obvious. It doesn't look like a quality product. A system can remain as stable as its weakest link.

0 Likes
jotaeler
Adept I

I forgot to say another tests:

- I used this DIGITUS: DIGITUS - Products to test PSU and every parameter seems OK, no warning reported.

- BIOS and Drivers updated to latest version.

- BIOS has default values

I have replaced RAM with 2X4GB g.skill ripjaws v red ddr4 2400 lets see if this is the problem... Still testing with OCCT

0 Likes

Honestly it usually comes down to either the GPU or the Processor with these errors. I see this error a lot with the Navi GPUs and many of those users go to another card and the problem disappears. However when the issue is with other GPUs it seems more often to be a faulty CPU causing the issue. If by chance you had a green team card you could try to see if that helps eliminate a variable. If not, you might want to RMA that CPU. If they ask if you have used PBO, XMP or DOCP say nope only defaults as they like to void your warranty for using those features. 

0 Likes

This reddit thread has many users involved where replacing the CPU seems to fix the issue. 

3800X random reboots with WHEA-Logger event ID 18 : AMDHelp 

another

Cache hierarchy error : AMDHelp 

0 Likes

These links have nothing to do with the OP's problem. Restart problems do not generate an error message in the task logs. The motherboard or the PSU momentarily cuts power and this problem becomes apparent with high probability. Also the CPU cooler or VRM cooling problems or "chipset cooling problems (for new mobos)" may cause similar errors. With these informations, it is necessary to approach the problem and determine the hardware origin of the problem.

0 Likes

You need to try a different PSU. This is not because the PSU is faulty. It may also be helpful to remove unnecessary hardware that is not used. It may also be helpful to remove the M2 disk and try it. Because the more different port controls you use, the more likely the system will crash.

Also, the problem is not the RAMs. RAM problems do not cause restart.

0 Likes

There is a new chipset driver just posted a couple days ago. Did you try it yet?

0 Likes
jotaeler
Adept I

pokester‌ Latest version displayed in MSI support is 2.07.21.306 which is installed actually. I'm going to RMA CPU directly to Amazon, and we will see if this is the issue...

mstfbsrn980‌ I think we can discard RAM related problem as memtest with bot RAM didn't report problem. To check the M.2 disk y downloaded crystal disk mark and used the highest values to start the tests, no errors reported neither reboot. PSU still can't be discarded as issue but I haven't another one to test.

pokester‌ Thanks for the links, seems usefull. As I said before, I'm going to RMA CPU.

mstfbsrn980 In this case you are wrong, errors are displayed in Windows event log as I described in the OP.

Thanks you very much to all of you for ansewring.

The error message you receive does not cause the restart problem. RAM problems do not cause restart problems. The processor is also unlikely to be faulty. It is very likely that your system will have more than one problem.

Test your system with a good PSU. I did not write to you for your comment.

0 Likes

Some of the main hardware problems which cause machine check exceptions include:

+ System bus errors (error communicating between the processor and the motherboard)
+ Memory errors that may include parity and error correction code (ECC) problems. Error checking ensures that data is stored correctly in the RAM; if the information is corrupted, then random errors occur.
+ Cache errors in the processor; the cache stores important data and code. If this is corrupted, errors often occur.
+ Poor voltage regulation (i.e. power supply problem, voltage regulator malfunction, capacitor degradation)
+ Damage due to power spikes
+ Static damage to the motherboard
+ Incorrect processor voltage setting in the BIOS (too low or too high)
+ Overclocking
+ Permanent motherboard or power supply damage caused by prior overclocking
+ Excessive temperature caused by insufficient airflow (possibly caused by fan failure or blockage of air inlet/outlet)
+ Improper BIOS initialization (the BIOS configuring the motherboard or CPU incorrectly)
+ Installation of a processor that is too much for your motherboard to handle (excessive power requirement, incompatibility)
+ Defective hardware that may be drawing excessive power or otherwise disrupting proper voltage regulation

Yes... This is an excerpt from the document Microsoft created for your error message. With this document, maybe you can solve the problem.

If I say this error message from my experience before, the motherboard may cause it. If this problem occurs while playing games, it may be caused by the PSU. In short, your system does not have one problem. For this reason, be consistent when commenting. I do not write whatever comes to mind. I am writing what I know.

Goodbye...

0 Likes

My apologies if I did not express myself correctly, I'm not english speaker.

I appreciate your help and experience.

I faced that CPU temp reach 94ºC when playing games (stock CPU cooler). This has been happening for the first 3 weeks after I build my rig, after those 3 weeks I faced the first reboot. Could the CPU or MBO got damaged for high temperatures?

Note that reboots occurs randomly, not only playing games.

0 Likes

Temperature problems can cause both restart and the WHEA error.

The mobo may momentarily cut power to get rid of temperature problem. The CPU, on the other hand, may slow down itself to get rid of the temperature problem or may turn off the core momentarily.

That is, your CPU and your mobo may be damaged for due to temperature problems. But these hardwares protect itself and may generate similar errors.

You can buy a good CPU cooler. And you may get improvement. Even these problems may be caused by insufficient CPU cooler and insufficient case airflow. Obviously, I have seen many people on this forum who write that the CPU coolers are not enough...

0 Likes

zip up the /windows/minidump folder and upload it to onedive and share a link so I can look it over and figure out what to do

0 Likes

This error message is evident in the event error log. No BSOD. Also, OP has restart problem. And the processor is faulty or not...

0 Likes

No dump is generated when reboot happen...

0 Likes

jotaeler wrote:

No dump is generated when reboot happen...

so much for that idea

does the event viewer show anything?

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

I just have this problem since some time, after long researches I think it's a ram problem (timings) , for my case ...

maybe it appeared with a recent bios update and I didn't notice at the moment as the reboot didn't happened very often.

but after test with another psu (i was so sure it was my psu regarding the reboots without bsod etc, but nope) , another gpu , changed my inverted and still having the problem even more often I decided to go into bios and change my ram that were at 3600 to 3200 and it did not rebooted since ... now i'm testing back to 3600 but with less aggressive timings ... I advise you to try make your ram to default for some days and see if it helps and still reboot or not

0 Likes

I have default settings in BIOS and still get random reboots, even though I will try to low RAM frequency.

Thanks you

0 Likes

okay the only different thing with my ram problem is my reboot never happen while gaming, only while idling or googling generally ... did you check cpu / motherboard temperatures ?

are every part of your computer pretty new ?

do you know if you could have "micro power cuts" in your power outlet ? (that's why I had to buy an inverter for example)

0 Likes

Every part of the computer is new.

I have replied to another comment, the temp of the CPU can reach 94ºC when gaming or stressing with prime95, but reboots happen randomly, gaming, googling or simply idle at 60ºC.

I build this computer to one member of my family so when the reboots started to happen the computer was in his house (also newly build house, no power outlet related I think). Now the computer is in my house and the same problem.

0 Likes

mmmmh i just saw so commentaries about your psu on the web it seem it's a really cheap one 850W for the price of a 450W... warning lol... for me it could be interresting to try just a 650W from a well known brand maybe (cooler master , corsair, etc)

and i don't think your cpu can be damaged by this temps as it should shut down if the temps are too high (but you should check this too and verify your thermal paste and maybe try a better cooler if it's not a thermal paste problem)

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Have you tried a different, better quality PSU?

Look for an option in the BIOS called Power Supply Idle Control, try setting this to Typical. 

0 Likes

Hello Everyone
I have the same 3600 processor and I am getting the same issue as the OP, What I have tried so far is this.

1. Buying a new motherboard, previously I was using MPG x570 Gaming Plus but then I bought ASUS ROG STRIX x570-E
2. Buying a new PSU, previously i was using Cougar 750 but now I am using Corsair RMx 1000 watt.

I have tried everything but the restarts are random as heck, however if I stay on BIOS the restarts never happens, found this thread so thought I should share and see if we can find a solution.

Thanks