Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

deynon
Journeyman III

ryzen 3600 not working on b450m steel legend

Hello,

A friend of mine is having issues with his new ryzen 3600. He is building an all new pc (nothing was used before in an other configuration). His motherboard is the Asrock b450m steel legend. I didn't expect it to work out of the box so i bought him an athlong 220Ge that he is supposed to give me back once the BIOS is up to date. We upgraded the BIOS to 2.50 (it's not the last version but every version that come after are not recommended by the constructor for every processor that is not a ryzen 3rd gen so we decided to stay on that version that came in July so should be able to handle a ryzen 3000). The update went fine and the computer could access the bios with the Athlon processor. At this point we had no OS installed on the computer since we were at first trying to get the ryzen to the BIOS. Then we installed the ryzen and sadly the computer didn't worked anymore (typical proc problem, the motherboard turn on, vents start to spin and after a little bit of time, it reboot and start it again). Am i safe at this point telling the processor is just not working and he should ask for refund? Or are we missing something? 

Thanks a lot for your answers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

You didn't mention if you updated the ASRock latest Chipset BEFORE UPDATING the motherboard's BIOS to 2.50: ASRock > B450M Steel Legend 

You needed to click on the BLUE LINK to download the correct latest CHIPSET from ASRock before updating the BIOS to version 2.50 unless your motherboard already came with that CHIPSET Version on its Driver installation disk or you have updated the CHIPSET afterwards before updating the BIOS.

If you are planning on using the Ryzen 5 3600 Processor which is "MATISSE" then you can update the motherboard's BIOS to version 2.70.  The 3600 is not Pinnacle, Raven (APU), Summit or Bristol Ridge Processor but the Athlon 220ge is a Raven Ridge Processor. So for the moment leave the BIOS Version at 2.50 installed so that you will be able to boot up with the Athlon 220ge processor. Anything above BIOS v 2.50 the Athlon won't work.

Here is the latest Chipset from Asrock : ASRock > B450M Steel Legend 

When you have the 3600 installed, What Trouble LEDs, Digital Codes, or BEEPS do you see? That will narrow down the hardware that is having problems booting up.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You didn't mention if you updated the ASRock latest Chipset BEFORE UPDATING the motherboard's BIOS to 2.50: ASRock > B450M Steel Legend 

You needed to click on the BLUE LINK to download the correct latest CHIPSET from ASRock before updating the BIOS to version 2.50 unless your motherboard already came with that CHIPSET Version on its Driver installation disk or you have updated the CHIPSET afterwards before updating the BIOS.

If you are planning on using the Ryzen 5 3600 Processor which is "MATISSE" then you can update the motherboard's BIOS to version 2.70.  The 3600 is not Pinnacle, Raven (APU), Summit or Bristol Ridge Processor but the Athlon 220ge is a Raven Ridge Processor. So for the moment leave the BIOS Version at 2.50 installed so that you will be able to boot up with the Athlon 220ge processor. Anything above BIOS v 2.50 the Athlon won't work.

Here is the latest Chipset from Asrock : ASRock > B450M Steel Legend 

When you have the 3600 installed, What Trouble LEDs, Digital Codes, or BEEPS do you see? That will narrow down the hardware that is having problems booting up.

the small BIOS chip is coming bit everyone lately. which is why the chip on the x570 is twice as big

0 Likes
deynon
Journeyman III

We didnt upgraded the chipset as we had no os installed to do it, we upgraded the BIOS hoping to be able to do it then. At the moment, the computer is working with graphic card (amd rx 5700xt evoke) and we have installed the amd all in one with VGA driver. I told my friend to try again with the ryzen now that the chipset is up to date, if it fails again but if it fail i dont know what to do anymore but trying to replace the ryzen with an other one...

0 Likes

If it doesn't work I would contact ASRock support for advice. It has to be something wrong then with their product. I literally just installed a 3600 on a MSi B450 Tomahawk board last night with latest bios and chipset and it could not have gone smoother. Now time will tell through usage if any issues pop up but so far so good, fingers crossed.

0 Likes

is nothing wrong with asrock steel legeng i have an asrock steel legend B450M with ryzen 3600 and work 100% no problems just update bios to 2.70 

0 Likes