cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

shuvo140
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3600 low performence

I have set everything to default in BIOS with just XMP on.

My CPU is only boosting to 3.950-3.975 GHz on Multi-core and 4125 on Single-core 

on the single-core test, I am getting 4175 with 1.45 V (Isn't it too high)

On Cinebench it's never going beyond 3975 MHz at 1.34-1.37 V

I am only getting 3454 scores in Cinebench R20 whereas I am seeing others achieving 3700+

Please help me to boost my performance 

 

My system configuration is :

Product Name: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64-bit Ver.2009 (OS build 19042.685)
BIOS Version: 3.A1
BIOS Release Date: 12/03/2020
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

Cooler: Cooler Master Master MA410P with Push-Pull config 
Memory: 8 GB @
Corsair Vengence LPX - 8 GB DDR4-3200
GPU: Gigabyte R7 240 2GB DDR5 with the latest driver

 

0 Likes
9 Replies
pokester
MVP

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence

Check your temps. Load ryzen master and make sure under load you are not getting hot. If you are, thermal throttling would explain your situation. 

If your temps are okay. There are a couple places you can enable PBO on that board. One is in the AMD overclocking section. You can set manual settings for the PBO. Choose motherboard control and add 200 to the boost. That will likely give you a bit of an improvement. 

0 Likes
radu1006
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence

It is normal. The advertised boost is for single core. So a max of 4.2 GHz, but realistically probably around 4.175-4.185

Max boost for multicore is 4GHz.

The advertised boost is a bit of a con and most reviewers do not tell you this. It also depends on cooling and your luck with the CPU. Even identical CPUs with same configuration will not boost to the same frequency.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence

Max boost is not rated for all cores. That will never happen. You will only ever see max boost on one possibly two cores. Under heavy single threaded workloads it will alternate between the 2 best cores. Often you only ever hit max boost for seconds at a time. 

0 Likes
shuvo140
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence


@pokester wrote:

Check your temps. Load ryzen master and make sure under load you are not getting hot. If you are, thermal throttling would explain your situation. 

If your temps are okay. There are a couple places you can enable PBO on that board. One is in the AMD overclocking section. You can set manual settings for the PBO. Choose motherboard control and add 200 to the boost. That will likely give you a bit of an improvement. 



On the Heavy Multicore test, Temps start to go up from 65C to 70-72C. Do you think its a thermal throttle problem 

0 Likes
shuvo140
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence

Is the voltage normal? It's 1.45V. Isn't it too high 


@radu1006 wrote:

It is normal. The advertised boost is for single core. So a max of 4.2 GHz, but realistically probably around 4.175-4.185

Max boost for multicore is 4GHz.

The advertised boost is a bit of a con and most reviewers do not tell you this. It also depends on cooling and your luck with the CPU. Even identical CPUs with same configuration will not boost to the same frequency.




0 Likes
shuvo140
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence

 


@pokester wrote:

Max boost is not rated for all cores. That will never happen. You will only ever see max boost on one possibly two cores. Under heavy single threaded workloads it will alternate between the 2 best cores. Often you only ever hit max boost for seconds at a time. 


Is the voltage normal? It's 1.45V. Isn't it too high 

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence

That voltage is normal. Those temps are fine and you won't throttle until 90c, although I'd recommend staying below that.

To get more performance, depending on your BIOS and cooling solution there may be a few things. Depending on your board and BIOS you may have some settings like: Enable PBO, Unlock Uncore, Scalar to 10X, CPU EDC to "motherboard" vs. "auto". Set the SOC to 1.10 for stability.

If thermals go above 80c, turn Scalar down to "auto" or 1-3X, might need to play with that. There should be a setting for the "Infinity Fabric" called FCLK or IF, set that to half of your RAM speed. For example RAM=3200mhz set IF(FCLK)=1600 or RAM=3600mhz set IF=1800. Go no higher and always simply match half the RAM speed. This puts the CPU at a 1:1 optimal ratio all the time and can improve responsiveness, even add some FPS.

However, the numbers you quoted via benchmarks, etc., are in line with the 3600 non-X and aren't too bad at all. I have the 3600X and can tell you that there's no benefit to an all core OC at 1.382v @ 4.3Ghz. That my voltage runs up to 1.48v on 3-4 cores at a time while they are boosting to 4.2-4.397Ghz and then the voltage/speed drops and the other cores fire up. Totally normal and the way these Ryzen chips are designed to run. Comparing a 3600-3600X to a 3700X is not fair as those that achieve near matching the 3700X is rare. Usually there's some extra tweaking that you can't run 24/7 involved. 

So yours max boosting to 4.1 is quite good and you bought the 65W part as well. Benchmarks are one thing, how is "real world" performance? Getting the FPS you expect? Game scores and actual program speeds are what's important. The fact I might squeeze out 5 FPS more than your non-X you'll never see on screen. Lastly the Pc is the sum of it's parts from RAM,GPU, CPU and how all 3 are tuned which makes the differences in each build. 

For the advanced user/builder, custom RAM timings can offer moderate gains at 3600mhz. That requires more than I can get into here and one to already have some advanced know how. If you have any of those settings I mentioned and play with those, you'll see some gains but don't expect this amazing increase I think some hype up. You might go from a Cinebench R-15 of 3730 to 3940 for an example, just tossing a number. You might gain 7 FPS. Or find the CPU boosts to 4.3 on 3-4 cores longer than before. Not "Earth shattering". For that you need something like the 5600X or 5900X and a 6000 series GPU, when they work the bugs out and those are readily available, the Earth can shatter.:smileyhappy:

"It worked before you broke it!"
shuvo140
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence


@mackbolan777 wrote:

That voltage is normal. Those temps are fine and you won't throttle until 90c, although I'd recommend staying below that.

To get more performance, depending on your BIOS and cooling solution there may be a few things. Depending on your board and BIOS you may have some settings like: Enable PBO, Unlock Uncore, Scalar to 10X, CPU EDC to "motherboard" vs. "auto". Set the SOC to 1.10 for stability.

If thermals go above 80c, turn Scalar down to "auto" or 1-3X, might need to play with that. There should be a setting for the "Infinity Fabric" called FCLK or IF, set that to half of your RAM speed. For example RAM=3200mhz set IF(FCLK)=1600 or RAM=3600mhz set IF=1800. Go no higher and always simply match half the RAM speed. This puts the CPU at a 1:1 optimal ratio all the time and can improve responsiveness, even add some FPS.

However, the numbers you quoted via benchmarks, etc., are in line with the 3600 non-X and aren't too bad at all. I have the 3600X and can tell you that there's no benefit to an all core OC at 1.382v @ 4.3Ghz. That my voltage runs up to 1.48v on 3-4 cores at a time while they are boosting to 4.2-4.397Ghz and then the voltage/speed drops and the other cores fire up. Totally normal and the way these Ryzen chips are designed to run. Comparing a 3600-3600X to a 3700X is not fair as those that achieve near matching the 3700X is rare. Usually there's some extra tweaking that you can't run 24/7 involved. 

So yours max boosting to 4.1 is quite good and you bought the 65W part as well. Benchmarks are one thing, how is "real world" performance? Getting the FPS you expect? Game scores and actual program speeds are what's important. The fact I might squeeze out 5 FPS more than your non-X you'll never see on screen. Lastly the Pc is the sum of it's parts from RAM,GPU, CPU and how all 3 are tuned which makes the differences in each build. 

For the advanced user/builder, custom RAM timings can offer moderate gains at 3600mhz. That requires more than I can get into here and one to already have some advanced know how. If you have any of those settings I mentioned and play with those, you'll see some gains but don't expect this amazing increase I think some hype up. You might go from a Cinebench R-15 of 3730 to 3940 for an example, just tossing a number. You might gain 7 FPS. Or find the CPU boosts to 4.3 on 3-4 cores longer than before. Not "Earth shattering". For that you need something like the 5600X or 5900X and a 6000 series GPU, when they work the bugs out and those are readily available, the Earth can shatter.:smileyhappy:


Well, Gained some performance but How are people getting 3510+ scores with stock settings out of it?  Some people's voltage doesn't go beyond 1.3V. Is my motherboard killing my processor or my CPU's silicon sucks  

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Ryzen 3600 low performence

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 vs. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Benchmark and Specs (cpu-monkey.com)

There's a comparison between your 3600 and a 3700X. Yours will never come close to the 3700X. You numbers aren't that bad. They're actually decent for a 3600 with your hardware. You're running 1 x 8GB stick of RAM and a baseline GPU, that will affect the score. **Edit: Put 2 x 8GB 3600Mhz with CL16 RAM in and retest too. 3200Mhz is barely working the FCLK**

You might have back round apps or things to turn off like right click "This PC" , "Properties" and go to "Advanced System Settings", select "Performance". Visual appearance is probably set to "Let Windows adjust what's best for my PC", change that to "What's best for performance" and close the window. Go into "Settings", "Apps" and turn off all the back round apps but Windows Security. Turn off "Game Mode" . Try testing again.

Bottom line is it defective or poor performance, no. Is the voltage too high, no. If you manually set it to have a constant Vcore of 1.45v, it will wear out the CPU. An all core OC has no benefit and it costs you in single threaded apps and benchmarks.

You're at the proverbial wall of what that CPU can do. Increasing RAM to 16GB at 3600Mhz, a better GPU, moving up to an X470-570 chipset would all help that score a little bit.

Comparing your CPU to another that is slightly faster stock can mean all the things I just said. They turn off a lot of stuff, have at least 16GB RAM (most likely with custom timings), a better GPU and a better chipset. They could be disabling cores for the single core test to boost numbers there. There's "tricks" but it's not reality in most cases. 

"Real World" experience is what matters. Does it game ok? That one's tough because of your card, but the games it can run. Does it do the everyday tasks you want it to do? If you wanted serious performance, that was the wrong CPU, system to build. In any case, the bench numbers you provided are well within spec. Running Cinebench 23, 20, or 15 isn't going to prove the max boost you ever get to. To see that, try running HWiNFO and just watch the CPU clocks at idle. If you're seeing it hit 4.1-4.2 you really doing well. 3.9 would be acceptable for a 3600 non-X. 

Is the marketing a "gimmick", you bet. The fine print tells it all. The maximum boost rated may not be exactly what each CPU is capable of. It's a guideline and not saying I agree with that approach. Any AMD official rep would tell you that CPU is within acceptable specs all the way down to a max boost of 3.8Ghz. You're beyond that. Now you "gained some performance", so it's the best it gets. I explained why others show better numbers, some cheat, some have better silicon and hardware. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes