cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rumbis
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3600 - defective or not?

So i bought a Ryzen 3600 and built a new PC.

Config is :

Gigabyte B450 (S2H) motherboard

1x HyperX 8 GB 2667 DDR4 stick

Ryzen 3600 OEM

AMD Wraith Max cooler.

RX580 4GB.

700 Watt CoolerMaster PSU.

After everything was put to places, i found a strange thing- when i began to install Windows 10, coolers in my PC went crazy when even a little load was put. 

After installing Windows10, i tested my PC with AIDA, and found a reason- there`s a huge spikes in temperature. It went from 36-40 idle to 55 in a second when i run my browser and loaded random page. Then after a second it`s 36-40 again.

Under heavy load (stress testing) i get it to 65c in a second, and then slowly rising to 70-75.

After i read some comments about R3000 processors, i found that it`s a kinda common thing, but some users have such problem, some don`t. For some users temperature is rising slowly, for some it`s spikes.

I think that compound under my CPU`s surface is faulty, as i tried to re-apply thermal paste between CPU and cooler a few times (thinking that probably i made a mistake when installing a cooler), but it did nothing (only a 3-4c difference in "1 second later" results. In the same time R2600 PC that was also built by me for my wife is running OK, starting stress test with 40c and slowly going to 50. I`m scared that often hot-cold-hot change will hurt my processor.

The thing is i bought a OEM processor, so i can`t  ask AMD for warranty, and i have to ask my local seller to replace or refund it. But to do so i need to be sure that it`s really a problem with my processor.

So the question is - can my processor be called "Defective" due to such temp spikes, and if yes- how can i prove that it is?

P.S. sorry for my english, not really my mother`s tongue.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Your CPU sounds fine to me with those temperatures.  

This new series of 3000 Ryzen CPU do have common problems with temperature spikes. 

I have a Ryzen 3700x on a B450 motherboard and get spikes similar to you.  

It won't damage anything though.

You can change your CPU fan curve in your BIOS so that it only goes to 70% after reaching 55c then 80% at 60c so that it quietens the fan.  

Also make sure you have the most recent BIOS for your motherboard and AMD chipset drivers - the newest ones were released on 1st August.  

Also while just browsing the internet I set my Windows Power Plan to Energy Saving so that the CPU speed and voltage are limited.  

This really helps keep temperatures lower and stops spikes.  

Just put it back to Balanced for gaming so that it runs properly.  

Andy

unfortunately older motherboards with 16MB BIOS do not have the best tables for the new processors out there. MSI mentioned new models of motherboards with 32MB BIOS chips to have room for more memory sticks as well as processors.

the industry has been slow to move to 32MB due to the cost of the logic. Motherboards compete and every dime can be material to sales volumes. MSI has tried marketing this as a feature. MSI said their MAX line of motherboards will have the new bigger BIOS chip.

As for thermal problems, check to be sure the thermal material is not compromised.

0 Likes
o_mally
Journeyman III

Just disables turbo boost
0 Likes
rg500g
Journeyman III

I use a 3600x in an asrock x570m cooled by Corsair H100i Pro.  High idle temp and high temp at load far higher than 1800x CPU I still have.  Installed latest amd chipset drivers asrock bios and win 10 power plan set for low power, no OC at all.  Case is open so radiator gets cold air.  Die temp jumps and cold plate can't get heat out fast enough.  Tested with earlier gen CPU and Corsair cools well.  Chatter on other boards talks about smaller, more dense heat sources under cap that can't get cooled fast enough.  Sustained load on CPU for half hour driving constant 75c temp on CPU raises coolant temp a bit less than 6C.  Don't know for sure about smaller area generating heat but it is plausible.  I can throttle CPU down enough to get 35C, but load test still runs above 70C and coolant temp does not rise much under sustained test > 30 min.  No risk to CPU, but this clearly is a departure from prior processor behavior under same load.

0 Likes

If temperatures are high, check the thermal material as 99% of people use far too much

0 Likes

No question re people using too much thermal material.  I'm likely one of them.  Those of us who have been doing this for a while (I started messing with this in the K6 days) have developed a technique that has become more or less second nature - in my case I prep the cold plate with enough material to color it but not opaque to fill in larger gaps unless it's a mirror finish, then a full coat across the CPU scrap evenly spread with something like a credit card thin enough to just perceive the cap through the material here and there, even out some more to equalize what's there w/o adding more, then mate cold plate to CPU.  We've done this across generations of CPUs and achieved more or less consistent results.  Those of us who adhere to the spirit of the late Phil Hartman's "anal retentive" sketches have indulged in quixotic quests to find the ultimate thermal material (for those of us who have wedding rings they no longer wear due to divorce I recommend grinding it to dust with a suitable dremel grinding attachment and creating a dense matrix using a whiff of a particularly full bodied personal lubricant) but those days are past and I just use mx4.

I'm typing this on a new build, Asrock X570M, 3600X CPU and Corsair H100i Pro.  My, it's toasty.  My thermal material application technique is consistent, and an earlier build on the X370 chipset with an 1800x CPU and Coolermaster 240mm AIO shows lower CPU temperature and higher coolant temperature.  I cannot readily explain it, though I've read a number of posts claiming the 3 series CPUs have smaller, hotter silicon contacting the cap and cold plates can't pull heat off the cap as easily.  That's plausible, but I have not seen data to prove anything.

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 12:27:53 PM CST, hardcoregames™ <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

Re: Ryzen 3600 - defective or not?

in Processors

If temperatures are high, check the thermal material as 99% of people use far too much

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes