Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jadeskye
Adept I

Ryzen 3600 BSOD: Machine check exception - Cache Hierarchy Error

Hello everyone,

I believe my Ryzen 3600 is approximately 18 months old and has recently developed an issue where it BSODs upon opening any 3D accelerated game.

Windows event viewer shows:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

---

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 3

The details view of this entry contains further information.

---

I have tried:

• Disabling PBO/OC of any kind at bios
  • Disabling XMP profile
  • reducing number of cores active down to 1
  • turning off windows 10 fast boot
  • re-imaging windows 10 pro to fresh install
  • updating chipset drivers on amd website
  • updating audio drivers
  • updating motherboard bios
  • updating radeon graphics drivers
  • removing/different slotting RAM modules
  • removing network card

---

Specs:

• R5 3600
  • MSi X470 gaming plus max
  • 2x8gb gigabyte aorus ram
  • Asus strixxx Vega 56
  • X520 intel 10gbe network card

---

Any ideas what else i could try? Or is this CPU faulty?

Thanks!

1 Solution

No you were right. I ran a power diagnostic using OCCT and immediately had a crash. I've swapped out my expensive gold rated Seasonic power supply and thrown in whatever i had lying around and everything is now working.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hello,

I don't want to say that it won't work, but I don't see your DDR4 listed as supported with that motherboard in the Matisse listing @ https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#support-mem-19 

Yet I seemed to have missed what power supply your using, as I am wondering if there's a voltage droop occurring as your motherboard is covered in an article where they it's only 4-phase VRM @ https://www.anandtech.com/show/12990/the-msi-x470-gaming-plus-review One could attempt to raise it in the BIOS by "one stage|level" as see if that helps. 

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes

Thank you Mauser.

I've swapped in a pair of Corsair Ram sticks which unfortunately give the same error. I'm currently running OCCT on memory testing to ensure they are healthy.

My power supply is an 850W seasonic gold efficiency rated unit that i do not believe is faulty at this time.

My motherboard is an X470 gaming plus MAX which i believe has better VRM than the gaming plus you've linked to but i could be mistaken. I've had a look in the bios and I cannot see any obvious VRM settings to increase available voltage.

0 Likes

No you were right. I ran a power diagnostic using OCCT and immediately had a crash. I've swapped out my expensive gold rated Seasonic power supply and thrown in whatever i had lying around and everything is now working.

Thank you.

Hello,

Very happy to hear the power issue was resolved by having a spare power supply to swap in, though I hope the Seasonic is still under warranty. I hope if and when this kind of event occurs to me, I hope that it doesn't effect any other hardware like in your instance. I hate to imagine losing a video card at this current time as the state of the market. A number of years ago I decided it couldn't hurt to get a back up power supply should my line have some transient voltages, or a power outage thus my machine can shutdown cleanly. I assume that the power supply is new as I figured you'd choose to buy a new unit to go with all of your new hardware, thus I had crossed my mind that it could be that though I did not list it.

Yet it's interesting as Gamers Nexus had just covered the topic of 80 Plus ratings and those ratings shouldn't be taken as a sign either good, bad or best. Thus part sources can change, thus change from original specifications. And now and then that any one part could be an issue causing a unit failure as a whole. Not saying or implying that any one company makes bad hardware, unless an entire line is affected by multiple failures. After sharing these few things I wonder if the power supply voltage is falling off, but current perhaps as well. Without having the proper testing equipment I can only wonder.

Here's the content that I had watched previously presented by Steve Burke @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhuOwNdkA4  

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes