Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

MasterEsperos
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3600 boost problem

Hello everyone.

1 year ago I updated my cpu from Ryzen 1300X to Ryzen 3600. My motherboard in both the cpus remained the same : Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, paired with Trident Z G.SKill 3200mhz memory (2 sticks) and XMP ON.

With ryzen 1300X I was able to see even for an instance the boost speed core up at 3.8GHZ (through W10 task manager).

Generaly, the 1300X was able of jumping at 3.7 GHZ very easy.

Since I put the ryzen3600 (same configuration-nothing changed-clean W10 installation ), my cpu stops at 4.17ghz, although its supposed to reach 4.2 (even instantly). 

My question is this : would changing my mobo to B550 or even X570, allow the cpu to reach 4.2 or even more???

Thank you all in advance for your time.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Task manager is not the most reliable for usage details, what App./stress test are you using to put load on the cpu.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Well I dont use any stress test. In daily real life senarios and usage (4k youtube, copypaste files and video processing or image processing), I have the taskmanager open and I see how much it bumps.

Well, what I mean is that for me is OK to know that the cpu can reach (even simaltenously) the maximum boost core speed.

I am not an overclocker and I dont care to see any high speeds for a big time period.

As i said before, at same senarios the 1300X reach above 3.7ghz which is the advertised maximum core boost speed.

Same system, same daily senarios, and only the cpu change (3600 RYZEN) and it sticks at only 4.17 (advertised though as 4.2) 

So my question remains....will a B550 or X570 will help to see even at once core speed boost at 4.2 ghz for my 3600ryzen???

0 Likes

Task Manager is not accurate for monitoring CPU speeds, at least not for later gen Ryzen CPU's.  Use Ryzen Master instead, or HWinfo.  Ryzen is constantly and very rapidly changing frequencies and voltages for the cores and diff programs have different ways of representing the number.

There were a lot of architectural changes between the 1000 series and 3000 (and then 5000) series Ryzens, so you can't really directly compare their 'behavior'.

Also, 4.17 vs 4.20 ghz....that's 30mhz (actually 25, since that's the frequency step size Ryzen uses).  You're stressing about that?  lol

The max clocks you'll see will depend on the type of load, and available thermal and power headroom at any moment in time.  If you want to see a single core max boost frequency, fire up Prime95, do a single thread torture test with small FFT, and disable AVX.  And monitor with Ryzen Master or HWinfo.

Here's a thread with some good posts about Ryzens and frequencies:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/why-do-amd-ryzen-cpus-have-so-few-frequencies-and-the-lowest-is...

0 Likes