cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sdk03
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3400G - Black screens, freezing, graphical glitches, etc.

Hi, I have been having all kinds of problems since I assembled this new computer for my wife I'm running out of ideas and wondering if something is defective.

We've been using the computer for a week and issues appear every day. It is very random and never happens while doing the same actions.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3400G with Radeon RX VEGA 11 using stock cooler
MB: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3000C16D-16GVRB
PSU: CORSAIR CX450M 450W
HDD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB
MONITORS: Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (HDMI) & Samsung SyncMaster 216BW (DVI)

I confirmed through the MSI website that the memory is on their compatibility list before purchasing.

The motherboard BIOS was already using the latest version, 7A38vB4 (E7A38AMS.B40)
I went to the "Integrated Graphics configuration" section and I selected as following:
Initiate graphic adapter: IGD
Integrated graphics: FORCE
Uma Frame Buffer size: 2G

For the ram, I used the A-XMP profile which puts it at 2993MHz (which shows as supported on the MSI website).

I then installed Windows 10. After that, I installed the latest MSI motherboard drivers, the most recent WHQL AMD Radeon Software 20.1.3 and all latest Windows updates.

1st problem: Computer completely froze while looking at pictures stored on the PC, no other applications were running. I had to do a hard shutdown.

2nd problem: Blue screen (happened only once so far) with the message INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I went back to the BIOS and changed ram speed to default which puts it at 2133MHz.

3rd problem: Black screen flickers (happens regularly). It lasts about 1 second, the whole screen goes black and then comes back. This usually happens 1-2 times per hour at random times.

I then installed the AMD Radeon software optional drivers 20.2.1 (latest). No change, black screen flickers still happened.

I changed the HDMI cable on the main screen, black screen flickers still happened.

I switched from HDMI to VGA, black screen flickers still happened.

4th problem: Weird graphical glitches including weird deformed zooms all over the screen, colors changing, things disappearing, big squares popping up, all kinds of lines showing up, etc.. (see attached pictures for some examples)

I opened just about every Windows apps and others we had installed including the whole Adobe suite, Chrome with over 20 tabs, same with Firefox and I had 4 HD videos playing in MPC-BE with one 4k video in Youtube for several hours without any issues.
I ran Prime95 for several hours and all tests passed fine as well.

I uninstalled all drivers. I then installed the latest AMD chipset drivers 2.01.15.2138 and reinstalled AMD Radeon software 20.1.3 and had permanent black screen after the reboot when it's finishing the installation. I waited for 10 minutes and rebooted.
I also disabled hardware acceleration in Google Chrome.
No change again, black screen flickers and weird graphical glitches still happened.

5th problem: Everything freezes for 3-4 seconds, screen turns black for about 2 seconds and everything comes back to normal after. This happened 3 times in a span of 10 minutes (only happened that time so far).

I uninstalled AMD Radeon software using AMD cleanup utility and installed Microsoft graphic drivers 26.20.12028.2 from Windows Update.
In the BIOS, I went to "Power Supply Idle Control" section and changed it to "Typical Current Idle" as recommended by others in some other posts who had freezing issues.

Computer completely froze again while browsing the internet, had to do hard shutdown.

I just disabled the integrated graphics and installed an old graphic card I still had but only for testing since it doesn't even support Windows 10 and is stuck at low resolution.. will see how that goes..

I ran MemTest86 for several hours doing all 4 passes, everything was fine, no errors.
I also did AIDA64 stability test for several hours without problems.

Going through the drivers forum I can tell a lot of people have issues with AMD drivers.. but I wonder if all my issues are related to that or if it's hardware related?
This was my firt time going back to AMD since the days of the Athlon K7... I can now tell this was a big mistake and only to save a few bucks, very disappointed.. never had issues with all my builds with Intel products and now I'm stuck with that CPU since Newegg doesn't refund them...

If anyone has any ideas, that would be very appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes
2 Replies
jei
Adept I

I have same problems with Ryzen 5 3400G, but different motherboard. I have Asrock B450M pro. Almost everyday blackscreen or bluescreen

ynara
Journeyman III

Same issue here. For a year now.

Processador AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 4.10 GHz
RAM instalada 16,0 GB (utilizável: 13,9 GB)
ID do dispositivo F345E866-E268-4BA3-8F4B-13819309541B
ID do Produto 00330-80000-00000-AA763
Tipo de sistema Sistema operacional de 64 bits, processador baseado em x64

Edição Windows 10 Pro
Versão 21H1
Instalado em ‎08 ‎jun ‎20
Compilação do SO 19043.1110
Experiência Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Today I had to disable the video adapter in order to get my work done.

0 Likes