cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cityoftroy
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3000 temperature offset

Hey folks!  I have a Ryzen 5 3600 cooled by a Deepcool Captain 120 EX RGB in an Evolv Shift.  This certainly isn't an amazing cooler, but I figured it would do the trick.  However, when I run Prime 95, my temps will reach upwards of 95 C (according to HWInfo64 for Tctl/Tdie).  I know there was a 10 C offset for Ryzen 2000, but is this still a thing for 3rd gen?  My motherboard is a X470-I STRIX.  The temps (real or not) are forcing my 3600 to downclock to 3.85-3.9 ghz on all cores at stock settings.  I have managed to get my CPU to 4.0 GHz at 1.356 V, but temps will hit 99 C in Prime 95 (usually sitting at 95-98).  I am planning to get another NF-A12x15 so I can run push-pull on my AIO, and I could try liquid metal between my IHS and the cold plate on my AIO (it is copper, not aluminum).  Is there anything else I can do to reduce temps?  Or maybe I am the world's biggest loser of the silicon lottery?

0 Likes
6 Replies

Yes it is normal for Prime95 to push the temperatures that high.

It is a synthetic benchmark designed to stretch the CPU to its absolute limits; these limits won't ever be reached during heavy gaming or even rendering.

Your general day to day temperatures during heavy loads/gaming etc are the important ones to monitor.

Andy

0 Likes
vulpine05
Adept II

Not all Ryzen 2000 CPUs/APUs had an offset temperature.  The main page for the 3600 only lists 95 degrees as a "max temp".  Considering HWinfo lists this temp as Tctl/Tdie as one value, I suspect that there is no offset temperature for this CPU.

As for keeping your CPU cooler, what you listed as options aren't bad.  However, if you haven't already, check to see how the AIO is controlled in bios.  Its possible the AIO is referencing a different temperature than the CPU.  Since that other temperature is likely to be cooler than the CPU temp, the AIO would not be ramping up at the rate it would need to in order to keep the CPU cool.

0 Likes

A temperature of 95c is perfectly normal for Prime95.  

It is a synthetic benchmarking program designed to push the CPU to its limits.  

You won't get that high temperature in gaming or using other intensive applications.  

What are your temperatures during gaming etc?

Andy

0 Likes

i think it's a bit lot and would check some things ... and maybe consider changing the aio for a 2 fan AIO then ... i use prime 95 and occt for several hours to check my OCs ... for now with a h115i pro i get 80° max if i don't apply a -0.1V offset

with the -0.1V offset i get 65° max ... and that's with a 3700x... so comparing this datas I would consider checking some things and maybe changing my AIO if it can't really do a lot better ... this temps will make you cpu throttle anyway

0 Likes

Applying -0.1v offset reduces performance significantly, for Ryzen 3700X this equals to underclocking, what's the point?

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

95° is too much in my view for an AIO cooled cpu, there must be a problem with your AIO even if it's not the best reviewed it should get you at 80-85°max with this cpu , check the thermal paste , and if the waterblock is well attached, then check if it works if the waterpump still makes some noise for example (also you should see in your bios if you get RPMs from it or not)

then check voltage and temps again

0 Likes