cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

oxandrolone91
Adept II

Ryzen 3000 Refresh? How sure is it?

I've been seeing articles lately regarding the Ryzen 3000 refresh series "XT"  how sure is it? lol I'm purchasing a ryzen 9 3900x next week and yea all these articles from ryzen 4000 to this 3000 refresh are giving me confusions.. lol

I kinda think ryzen 4000 will still take a long time, thats why im just planning to get this 3900x (brand new) and just sell it for a higher value (compared to my 7 3700x) when 4000 is coming. 

0 Likes
4 Replies

Matisse Refresh is confirmed and has already been spotted on retailer webpages, benchmarks spotted, and Gigabyte has been talked about "Matisse Refresh" as well. The official announcement should come within the next two weeks. The only differences between Matisse and Matisse Refresh are -slightly- higher base and boost clocks (~200mhz) along with possibly a higher price.

The question is, will you really benefit from a 3900X over your 3700X?

Yea I have checked benchmarks and its almost close to none or exactly what you said last time 3-5 fps haha.. but yea my only reason is that I could sell it for a higher price in the near future when 4000 series comes out. Since I don't like throwing away a huge amount of cash at a time. So yeah I kinda wanna do buy and sell thing, so probably when ryzen 4000 comes out my ryzen 9 will still be fresh and can still sell it for a good price, get what I mean? and who knows might as well stay with it for a while hehe..

By the way in terms of the refreshed edition, does 200mhz make a huge difference? speaking of 3900x vs 3900x refreshed. 

0 Likes

The thing is that AMD has stated Zen 3 "will see performance gains as expected for a new architecture", so you're talking 15-20%, and they even threw the figure of 50% higher floating point performance out there as well. IF AMD is able to do this, then previous generation processors get handicapped quite a bit in the resale market. Also, AMD's roadmap shows a 5nm processor with Zen 4, and if a node shrink brings 10-15% performance improvements then Ryzen 3000 series processors take yet another hit in the resale market. Finally, likely with Zen 4 and definitely by Zen 5, a new socket will launch with DDR5, PCIe 5, and USB 4 support. You combine these all with the facts that with core counts are increasing at a rapid pace, it's entirely probable that by the time Zen 5 hits 8 core CPUs will be at the entry level, so you'd be trying to flog a 2-3 year old 12 core processor against a brand new $250 16 core Zen 4 CPU which supports all three major new specs.

So if you want my opinion, don't even think about the resale market, it's going to be such a loss. To put it into perspective, in 2017 I bought a 1800X for the eye watering price of $469.99, mostly because the FX-8350 was ungodly slow in comparison (50% as fast), and because I never believed AMD could improve performance so drastically every generation. When I bought my 3700X and sold my 1800X in March of this year, I was only able to get a pathetic $165, and that's horrendous depreciation even as for as electronics go, but that's because the price of the Ryzen 3000 series had dropped so far and performance increased to such an extent. I only paid $299 for my 3700X, 36% less for a processor with about 36% more performance.

As for Matisse Refresh boost speeds, better wait for the reviews to see if those are actually obtainable in the real world instead of just in specific circumstances, since something like Cinebench R20 single thread is a completely different animal than a professional rendering program or even a game.

Copy that, Noted on this sir! Thank you so much for the quick replies all the time! 

0 Likes