Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

OldWalker
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3 3200U RAM Dual channel and Vega 3 limits

Hi,

I took a mini PC with Ryzen 3 3200U and Vega 3, it came with 8Gb DDR4 2666 that works at 2400Mhz.

I upgraded RAM to 16Gb (8x2), the questions are two.

1) Is Dual channel automatically triggered? I can't see it in BIOS

2) Is it possible to force Vega 3 to use more than 2Gb? Again no clue in BIOS and adding lines in reg. system doesn't work, maybe it's a APU's limit, can you confirm that?

Thanks for your time and forgive my english since I'm italian

0 Likes
1 Solution

Concerning adding more than 2GB of vRAM to your Integrated Graphics Vega 3 depends what BIOS will let you set. Normally 2GB is the maximum but with newer Motherboards you can use up to 3GB or more for the vRAM in BIOS.

So if there is no BIOS Settings to increase or decrease the vRAM of the Vega 3 then whatever you have is permanent. Tweaking Windows won't have any affect with that BIOS setting.

Or if in BIOS Settings the Maximum amount is 2GB then that is all the vRAM you can enable on your Vega 3.

As for the RAM question:

Yes Dual Channel will be enabled automatically if your Motherboard and RAM supports it and you have the 2 RAM Modules in the correct DIMM slots to enable Dual Channel.

Also when you increased the RAM to 16GB from 8 GB did you just purchase the same RAM you have installed or did you purchase a RAM kit with 16 GB?

If Dual Channel is not enabled it could be due to the RAM not be compatible. I would look at your Mini PC Motherboard manufacturer to see what RAM it lists at being compatible and Dual Channel.

If you don't know run SPECCY which is free and give you most Make & Model of the parts you have installed in your Mini PC.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

Concerning adding more than 2GB of vRAM to your Integrated Graphics Vega 3 depends what BIOS will let you set. Normally 2GB is the maximum but with newer Motherboards you can use up to 3GB or more for the vRAM in BIOS.

So if there is no BIOS Settings to increase or decrease the vRAM of the Vega 3 then whatever you have is permanent. Tweaking Windows won't have any affect with that BIOS setting.

Or if in BIOS Settings the Maximum amount is 2GB then that is all the vRAM you can enable on your Vega 3.

As for the RAM question:

Yes Dual Channel will be enabled automatically if your Motherboard and RAM supports it and you have the 2 RAM Modules in the correct DIMM slots to enable Dual Channel.

Also when you increased the RAM to 16GB from 8 GB did you just purchase the same RAM you have installed or did you purchase a RAM kit with 16 GB?

If Dual Channel is not enabled it could be due to the RAM not be compatible. I would look at your Mini PC Motherboard manufacturer to see what RAM it lists at being compatible and Dual Channel.

If you don't know run SPECCY which is free and give you most Make & Model of the parts you have installed in your Mini PC.

0 Likes

Thanks for the answer, I took the same model (with part number) of the installed RAM and I just found that dual channel is on.

You can close the thread and have a nice day