Did you mean: 

Processors

Grappletree
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3 3100

I recently directed someone to purchase these parts:

• AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

These parts function well together however occasionally they result in an unexpected restart of the system.

I have done some troubleshooting with the device and found two errors at the most recent incident:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 9

I am not Immediately aware of a fix for this issue as it seems to be an out-of-box hardware fault of some kind. Any insight on this issue would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Reply
rurouni51
Adept II

Hi Grappletree,

This sounds like the issue myself and a few others have experienced.  In that case it appears the newer AMD AGESA versions (to support 3000XT and 5000 series CPUs) introduced an idle state issue leading to system resets.  Try downgrading the BIOS to something with AGESA 1.0.0.4B (this temporarily fixed the problem for myself and 2 others I know with the issue).

Another work around I had in place to work with later BIOS versions (if you need something else they fixed) is to have a service that will continuously load a single thread while the PC is running.  I run primarily Linux so this was easy to implement, it's possible in windows too.

Obviously neither of these is a proper fix but, it may get you working in the interim.

0 Likes