cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

samanny
Adept II

RYZEN 2700X WRAITH PRISM COOLER hitting 95 Degrees at 30% Usage

I am making this post after going through a lot of other threads/posts and my temps are higher than anyone talking in those posts. (Both on reddit and on other websites)

I just got my new PC Built. It was custom built by the electronic store. I had gotten 3 work PC's built from them never had issues like this, they were all intel.

But my personal PC, I went with AMD. Here are my Specs/ Components. I didn't want to mess up cabling and never done a build before so I let them assemble it for $100 and they gave my 1 yr warranty.

Specs

1. Cooler Master MasterBox MB600L Gunmetal Black ATX MidTower , 1 Exhaust Fan at the Rear, No Intake Fan.

2. AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core,16 Threads, UNLOCKED, up to 4.3 GHz Max Boost, Socket AM4, with Wraith Prism Cooler, 20MB total Cache ,105W TDP ,Extended Frequency Range (XFR) in the presence of better cooling.

3. Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

4. G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series Black DDR4 Desktop Memory 3200Mhz (2 x 8GB) 16GB RAM CL16 1.35v F4-3200C16D-16GVKB 16-18-18-38

5. ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX Form Factor For AMD Ryzen

6. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 (2280),NVMe SSD r/W**(Max) 3,500MB/s/3,300MB/s,**

7. Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W 80Plus Gold Fixed Cable Power Supply

The temps I recorded were using Ryzen Master. The ambient temp of the room was about 24.5-25 deg C.

Now the problem is that my CPU idles at 45-55 deg C. And when I took the side panel off it went done by 5 Deg, so I know I can improve the airflow a bit. When I'm browsing the internet, it jumps to between 60-70 degrees C. I did Cinebech, it went up to 75-80 deg C and using aida64 it was hitting 85-95degree C. Also the CPU speeds were well below 2300MHz.

So, I shut it down and let it cool, played Battlefield 4 (its pretty old game so I thought my temps would below) and I played it for 5 -10 minutes at Ultra setting, my CPU shows 30% usage, the clock speeds well below 3200Mhz and temperature hitting 90-95 degrees C. Fan speed 2600- 3100rpm.

What am I doing wrong, the top of my case was so hot I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than 5 seconds. Since I didn't build it myself I didn't wanna remove the stock cooler and see the thermal paste (might void warranty not sure will check) as people are suggesting in other posts. But even then no one is getting 95Degrees C for such an old game and at 30% usage.

Please help, temps are just too high and I don't know where to start, have I made mistake by going to AMD? Is my case just too shitty, what's happening.

And the cooler is shaking my desk by revving up and down, even when moving a mouse, opening firefox, etc.

0 Likes
27 Replies
dacq
Adept III

Re: RYZEN 2700X WRAITH PRISM COOLER hitting 95 Degrees at 30% Usage

If the processor idles at a high temperature: in the BIOS disable all 3 options for Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO). Set Windows Power Plan (not AMD's one) for "Balanced".

Removing the processor cooler doesn't affect the warranty.

You can use a small screwdriver to put one rice-grain-size blob of thermal paste on the CPU near the center and it will cover the two or three areas where the processor dies are as the paste will spread out when the cooler is placed on it. Thermal paste was designed to fill in the tiny cracks between the heatspreader (CPU casing) and the cooler, not as a primary heat-transfer compound. Too much paste does more harm than good so it's not needed in the corners. Use the small screwdriver to straighten any bent pins too. Renew the paste every 12–18 months.

Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut is a very good paste.

Your case uses only one fan? If so then put 2 or 3 120/140mm fans in the front to bring in cool air. Put another at the top rear to extract hot air. The one fan in the MB600lL is to remove hot air. Why blame AMD?

Maybe put a towel under the PC. Maybe the mobo isn't screwed on properly.

Maybe put a towel under the PC.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

samanny, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image to your reply.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
samanny
Adept II

Hi dacq,

Thank you very much for the tips on possibly resolving this issue. Really helpful, and I'll try what you have suggested this weekend when I finally get some time. The reason I said about AMD is that I have the exact same setup at work except with Intel. And I can barely hear the fan. I have to admit it is not the stock fan on intel, its cooler master cheapest heatsink but I thought AMD stock fan is so good that you hardly need anything unless you are Over Clocking. so when I see above 50C while doing nothing that made me worried. 

Yes, I agree the Case is terrible and I need more fans, but as I said earlier I don't have any other fans at work and I have no issues, so I was wondering if there's something wrong with  AMD CPU. See my screenshot below. I running nothing and its hitting above 50deg C.

0 Likes
samanny
Adept II

Hi John, thank you. Please see attached. The EDC thing also goes red sometimes repeatedly. I can post video over weekend if that would help. 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

samanny, EDC is Electrical Design Current.  When it, PPT, TDC or the temperature turn RED then the processor is throttling.  The RM Quick Reference Guide will explain these - also RM.  The fact MEM VDDIO is NA tells me that someone or something is messing around in BIOS.  RM reports 0 or NA when a quantity it controls is altered.  Please uninstall any OC applications, do a Clear CMOS and run Cinebench R20, then post a screenshot of RM.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
samanny
Adept II

Hi John, 

Thank you. I do not believe any OC program is installed by default. I, however, have RAM Overclocked is that why it reports 0 or NA ? I'll follow the steps you have described and post a screenshot after cinebench. I'm posting this in case my ram overclock is causing any issue. 

Thanks

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
samanny
Adept II

Hi John, did as you said, in addition, i put RAM into normal , cleared CMOS 

Turned it on, Screenshot before cinebench, during and after cinebench. 

Before Cinebech (after restart)

pastedImage_1.png

During Cinebech

pastedImage_2.png

After Cinebech : After cinebench the EDC was still going red occasionally with temp spikes, temps between 38-55. Thanks.

pastedImage_3.png

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Thanks, samanny.  I do not think the XMP profile is causing whatever is going on.  All three MEM VDDIO, MEM VTT and VDDCR SOC being  NA concern me.  I just learned that if the BIOS does not support these values they show as 0.  Since yours are all NA, I suspect something else.  Who makes your MB and where did you get your drivers?  I usually tell everyone to get drivers from the supplying vendors (eg. Intel NIC from Intel).  In particular AMD drivers here.  Get only your BIOS from the MB vendor.  If they offer any RGB applications, please remove them.  If you got any software from your MB vendor, please remove it for now.  Your specifications:

pastedImage_1.jpg

Your maximum boost is 4.3 GHz, so you should be able to boost a little more.  Please do the removing, if you can find anything, set your XMP to 3200 MHz again and rerun CB.  This time run single core and all core - Open CB-File-Advanced Benchmark.  One RM shot of each and I do not need to see any more CB shots.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
samanny
Adept II

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll go through the steps you have described when I get home and post the results again.

Cheers

0 Likes