ismaelcaldana
Journeyman III

Ryzen 2700x temperature is wavering even in idle

Hello, how are you? I hope well.

My setup is:

AMD Ryzen 2700x

Corsair Hydro H60 120mm

Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3

My Ryzen 7 2700x idles at around 35ºC, fluctuating between 28/45ºC. Every 5-10 seconds the temperature rises, the cooler speed increase, so the temperature goes down. It gets high, low, high low oscillation going on at idle that's getting annoying. I’m using the default BIOS configuration, but even within full speed, this fluctuation occurs.  I never saw a processor work like this, usually, the variations are of 1 or 2 degrees. My BIOS is updated, and my PR is brand new.

I’ve searched for it on the internet and I have found different responses. Some people say to change the BIOS until finding an ok configuration (which I already did, without success), but some people recommend letting it go because it’s normal.

I don’t know if it is a cooler issue of if the BIOS is misconfigured. I’m wondering if it’s normal or if it’s killing my system. Is that really normal? Thank you!

Related issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/61e5gf/anyone_else_seeing_crazy_ryzen_temp_swings

https://community.amd.com/thread/220282

0 Likes
1 Solution

ismaelcaldana, looks good to me.  Please remember that Ryzen Master is the reference for processor temperature.  I am not sure HWMonitor is completely ready for Ryzen especially Generation 2.  For a quieter CPU cooler you might consider a AIO water cooler.  I have a dual fan Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler on my 1950X - barely noticeable.  You could get by with a smaller and cheaper one.

I am always glad to help and you are very welcome.  It is always nice to hear a thank you.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

ismaelcaldana, I suspect this is not a problem.  How are you measuring the temperature?  Your processor has Precision Boost, so makes changes based on the environment in the processor.  As an experiment, you could open your BIOS and disable Precision Boost.  What OS are you running and what is the wattage of your power supply?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello misterj, how are you? Thank you a lot for your reply.

• I'm measuring by using HWMonitor and the SIV App.
  • When it comes to the precision boost, even with it disabled, the fluctuations in temp occurs. (+-12 degrees spikes)
  • My power supply is the AeroCool KCAS 600w EN53374.

My concerns are related to the spikes and fluctuations, it goes from 28ºC to 40ºC in one second IN IDLE. Is that really normal? I'd love to just ignore this and let my Ryzen works.

You can check some prints and videos here: https://media.giphy.com/media/551XvaOd7ywiObuiXN/giphy.gif  and here https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/93ure0/ryzen_2700x_temperatur_spikes_in_idle/

0 Likes

ismaelcaldana, your power supply is marginal at best.  You may get away with it but I would have recommended a 750 Watt supply.  That is what I used on my 1800X.  I think what you are seeing is probably not a problem.  I will say I am not found of HWinfo and suspect it is not accurate yet for Ryzen.  Please DL, install Ryzen Master and post a screenshot of the first page.  The default tab (Current, at bottom left) is read only, so no OC forced on your system.  You have not said what OS you are running, but I assume W10.  It is constantly doing things we are not aware of and it causes the CPU to respond, especially yours with Precision Boost.  My CPU is a 1950X so I have no personal experience with Zen 2.  My CPU temperature just went from 61C to 77C.  I am listening to music and responding to your post, so even with no Precision Boost, 16C jump.  Looking at Ryzen Master, most of my cores usually run at 3700 MHz, then 1, 2 or 3 will jump to 4000 or 4100 MHz.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

"I think what you are seeing is probably not a problem." --> That's what I'd love to hear and believe.

"My CPU temperature just went from 61C to 77C" --> so maybe it is really ok

Yes, I'm running both W10 and Ubuntu. I think I'm going to accept it, just let it go.

What do you think about to do a stress test and see how the temperature reacts to it? Do you a software to do it? Also, I can't find anywhere information about the max healthy temperature for the Ryzen. Do you know?

ryzen.PNG

Thank you for answering it and being so helpful!

0 Likes

ismaelcaldana, here is AMD's specifications for the 2700X, found on the AMD Processor website:

2700X.jpg

So you are good to 85C.  I use Prime95 for my stress testing.  It is a free DL for Windows you can find via a search.  Just run the stress test.  I do not run Linux and am not familiar with test SW.  We would be glad to hear your results.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: The Prime95 site has Linux versions also.

0 Likes

Hi, I just tested it, I let the testing running for more or less 10 minutes before stopping. I tested the first and the third options.

03.PNG

First

02.PNG

Third

01.PNG

So, besides the very annoying cooler noise due to the fluctuations, I think my setup is okay. What do you think? Thanks!

0 Likes

ismaelcaldana, looks good to me.  Please remember that Ryzen Master is the reference for processor temperature.  I am not sure HWMonitor is completely ready for Ryzen especially Generation 2.  For a quieter CPU cooler you might consider a AIO water cooler.  I have a dual fan Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler on my 1950X - barely noticeable.  You could get by with a smaller and cheaper one.

I am always glad to help and you are very welcome.  It is always nice to hear a thank you.  Thanks and enjoy, John.