cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

shiva90
Journeyman III

Ryzen 2700x processor came off with stock cooler, pins broke

I have a 2700x,I was trying to replace the cooler with another one. It wouldnt come off so I twisted it a bit  and lifted the cooler. For my surpise, there was no procesor inside the socket. when I looked under the cooler, it was there, glued to the cooler and slipped into the cabinet. hit few places and broke off two pins and bend few. 
I called up the India, office, bangalore . Explained everything and told them the situation clearly. . They told me to send it through RMA,  it took around 10 days to get the RMA confirmed and I couriered it.  After all this, they rejected it and send me a mail saying "we have received the cpu against subject RMA in pin missing/pin damage condition."
I do have a couple of computers at my house and have built many for both work and personal purposes. never happened anything like this to me.  I would like to know why the socket lock is not working at times and why my RMA is rejected as this issue got more to do with security. 

(attached image)

RMA# 2000255503

Shiva

0 Likes
1 Reply

AMD Warranty does not cover for bent or broken CPU pins. This is normally considered to be Customer Error thus the Warranty is voided.

The only scenario, in my own opinion, where possibly your CPU might be replaced is if you can see bent or broken pins in an "Unopen" plastic cover or box and took photos of it in that condition. But mostly likely AMD would say to go to your Retailer to get a refund or a new CPU since AMD Warranty doesn't cover bent or broken pins on a CPU.

You are the second User that opened a thread in where the User damaged his AMD CPU pins (bent and broken also) while removing the CPU  Cooler. AMD also refused the RMA from that User when they saw the broken pins.

As to why the CPU came loose from its Motherboard socket, I can't answer that since I don't have a Ryzen CPU. But aren't they screwed into the Motherboard? 

Besides, in your case, it was purely Customer Error since the pins actually broke after you removed the Cooler and not before when you originally removed from the Ryzen forcefully from the MoBo socket with the CPU Cooler.

From AMD Warranty showing what is not covered by the Warranty: Warranty Service: Retail CPUs Purchased New in Box | AMD 

0 Likes